PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rules changes for 2022

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There are more, but here's an important one: the IR rules are being tightened up compared to the last two years, but still far looser than pre-COVID.
  • [As a reminder: 2012, when the idea was introduced—one player can be brought back after a minimum of eight weeks, but that player must be designated at the time they go on IR.]
  • 2019—two players can be brought back after a minimum of eight weeks.
  • 2020 and 2021—an unlimited number of players can be brought back after three weeks.
  • 2022—up to eight activations are allowed after a minimum of four weeks. This includes both the 53-man roster and the practice squad. Players can be activated twice, but each activation counts toward the limit.

excellent... now expand the rosters so all 53 can dress on game day
This would REMOVE (or greatly lessen) the advantage of teams that had players playing more than one role.

Of course, the patriots are the very best at this.

So, IMO such a rule change would help the patriots less than any other team.

For the record, the logic behind not doing this is that if you have a healthy team playing a banged-up team, this puts added pressure on the banged-up team and increases the likelihood of injuries.

I would make it so that teams have to declare unable-to-play players (no healthy scratches allowed), say, 9 am on game day. Whichever team has fewer players out then has to scratch players until both have the same number of players active.

So, for example, if one team has 1 injured player and the other has 3, the first team has to scratch 2 more, giving each team 50. But if everyone is healthy, then, yes, both teams get 53.

For the record, the logic behind not doing this is that if you have a healthy team playing a banged-up team, this puts added pressure on the banged-up team and increases the likelihood of injuries.

I would make it so that teams have to declare unable-to-play players (no healthy scratches allowed), say, 9 am on game day. Whichever team has fewer players out then has to scratch players until both have the same number of players active.

So, for example, if one team has 1 injured player and the other has 3, the first team has to scratch 2 more, giving each team 50. But if everyone is healthy, then, yes, both teams get 53.
What if you have a BB type play where he declares half the roster out with "bruised egos" or something?

45 man active game day roster.

8 emergency backups / rotational players - "emergency" is treated like the emergency QB once they're in the player they replaced is done for the day. Rotational means allowed to play only in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

What if you have a BB type play where he declares half the roster out with "bruised egos" or something?
To be clear, that's keeping the normal limit (i.e., each team gets to dress 48 even if the other team doesn't).

This would REMOVE (or greatly lessen) the advantage of teams that had players playing more than one role.

longer seasons, i would rather have more players available

I have always thought an inactive list was dumb. ALWAYS. Idc if it helps or hurts us. Guys drop like flies and so and so can't come in because he was a healthy scratch.

Personally, the league should have kept the previous IR rules. Infinite returns during the year. Minimum 3 games missed.
Also, I like that they increased the number of times a player can be elevated from the PS without losing him to waiver when returned.

I do like the 16 player PS. I like the increase to 6 "Veterans" (players with more than 3 years in the league).
I just wish they'd end the stupid rule that if you are IRed before the Final Cut-downs, you're gone for the year. There have been several players already placed on season ending IR because of this rule.

I have always thought an inactive list was dumb. ALWAYS. Idc if it helps or hurts us. Guys drop like flies and so and so can't come in because he was a healthy scratch.
The significance of it's impact has been greatly exaggerated...

It would be useful just getting bottom of the roster guys game reps... Its added depth afaiac... I see no great strategery that suddenly opens up because we gotta have 6 or 7 guys not dress ...

To me that's a whole d line rotation... Its half the special teams... its the jumbo o line... Its rest for the starters

Last edited:

For this one specifically, that makes sense.
In general, the more complex the rules, the better for the Pats, because they pay more attention than other teams. Or have in the past; maybe that changes as the coaching staff gets younger and "old school" fades.

Belichick is in favor of it, FWIW.

I just wish they'd end the stupid rule that if you are IRed before the Final Cut-downs, you're gone for the year. There have been several players already placed on season ending IR because of this rule.
And the price to carry them so you can get them back later is releasing a healthy player at cutdowns.

And the price to carry them so you can get them back later is releasing a healthy player at cutdowns.
How do you figure? IRed players don't count against the 53 man roster now. Why would they count before they are activated during the regular season?

longer seasons, i would rather have more players available
even if it benefits our opponents more than us?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back