PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rules changes for 2022

I have always thought an inactive list was dumb. ALWAYS. Idc if it helps or hurts us. Guys drop like flies and so and so can't come in because he was a healthy scratch.
Patriots are more position-flexible than players from other teams. It is really that simple. I do care whether rules favor or hurt the patriots. I strongly FAVOR rules that promote the idea that players are flexible over those that do not.

even if it benefits our opponents more than us?
I understand what you are saying and why you are saying it... But these are basically bottom of the roster and special teams type players we are mostly talking about... I thing real game experience helps in their development, so yes.

As far as roster expansion goes, I think a good start would be for teams being allowed to designate 3 or 4 "special teams only" players, therefore expanding rosters by 3 or 4 players, which would be good for everybody and a lesser need to play the practice squad game.

I understand what you are saying and why you are saying it... But these are basically bottom of the roster and special teams type players we are mostly talking about... I thing real game experience helps in their development, so yes.
I'm sure that there are lots of rules changes that will help other teams more. Just don't look for Belichick to support them.

I'm sure that there are lots of rules changes that will help other teams more. Just don't look for Belichick to support them.
well I will say Bill has yet to acknowledge receipt of any of my suggestions let alone incorporate them into any effort to get them incorporated into NFL rule changes... so eh...

How do you figure? IRed players don't count against the 53 man roster now. Why would they count before they are activated during the regular season?
Unless they changed this rule (and I haven't seen anything to suggest they have), the ability to designate a player to return doesn't start until 24 hours after the cutdown deadline. If you IR a player before that point, they're done for the season. So if you have a player injured in TC that you want to DTR, you have to keep that player on the 53 for 24 hours, meaning you need to release another player to do so.

Unless they changed this rule (and I haven't seen anything to suggest they have), the ability to designate a player to return doesn't start until 24 hours after the cutdown deadline. If you IR a player before that point, they're done for the season. So if you have a player injured in TC that you want to DTR, you have to keep that player on the 53 for 24 hours, meaning you need to release another player to do so.
I believe that this is correct.

The other option is awful. If a team could designate players to IR before the cutoff and then have them come back, the roster would essentially be unlimited, since teams might put 10 players or more on IR, with the idea that they could come back if needed.

You TOTALLY missed what I was saying.

"I just wish they'd end the stupid rule that if you are IRed before the Final Cut-downs, you're gone for the year. There have been several players already placed on season ending IR because of this rule."

I'm stating that the CURRENT RULE that says a player IRed between now and final cutdowns is gone for the year is STUPID. I'm saying that it should be changed so that if a player is IRed at ANY time during the year, they'd be subject to the SAME rules in regards to being able to return.

I believe that this is correct.

The other option is awful. If a team could designate players to IR before the cutoff and then have them come back, the roster would essentially be unlimited, since teams might put 10 players or more on IR, with the idea that they could come back if needed.
This is flawed thinking as well. Since you can only have 8 IR activations in total. It also flies in the face of all the actual injuries that occur. Not to mention that you're ignoring that players on the IR still count against the Salary cap.

You TOTALLY missed what I was saying.

"I just wish they'd end the stupid rule that if you are IRed before the Final Cut-downs, you're gone for the year. There have been several players already placed on season ending IR because of this rule."

I'm stating that the CURRENT RULE that says a player IRed between now and final cutdowns is gone for the year is STUPID. I'm saying that it should be changed so that if a player is IRed at ANY time during the year, they'd be subject to the SAME rules in regards to being able to return.
No disagreement on this. I was just pointing out an additional stupidity of the rule.

I'd be OK with them making it so that there's a longer wait for preseason IRs (e.g., two months from the date or Week 6, whichever is later), but I agree the rule should go.

This is flawed thinking as well. Since you can only have 8 IR activations in total. It also flies in the face of all the actual injuries that occur.
Thank for the correction.

If the league wants to weaken the 53 man cutdown, it certainly can do so. As it is, if a solid contributor is injured in August, the team can choose to put him on the 53 man roster and then on IR. However, this player is part of this year's 53 man team which is set at the cutdown. Your suggestion would allow teams to allow a couple of players to be added, simply by putting them on IR a few weeks before the cutdown date.

You seem to imply that a team is forced to put someone on IR and lose him for the year. That isn't so. He can be on the 53 man roster and then put on IR, as is often the case.

So, IMO, all teams start the season with a 53 man roster. And THEN the in-season rules start.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back