ST (1) Slater

DEFENSE (24)
DL (6) Barmore, Godchaux, Wise, Guy, Anderson, OPEN
EDG (3) Judon, Perkins, Uche
LB (4) Bentley, McMillan, Wilson, OPEN
CB (5) OPEN, Mills, Jones, Butler, Mitchell/Wade
S (4) Dugger, McCourty, Phillips, Peppers
ST (2) Bethel, Cody

SOME IN HOUSE CONTENDERS (some are Practice Squad material)
I suspect that some of us have a "must keep" on this list. (i certainly hope that McGrone will make the 53). But, I have none. I would be fine with the above roster plus at least 6 additions and replacements from the Draft and free agency.

WR Nixon, Perry, Wilkerson, Harry
RB Ozigbo
OL Durant, Ferentz, Sherman, Hambright, Desjarlais
DL Murray, Cowart, Davis, Ekuale
LB Tavai, McGrone, Jennings, Hall, Langi
CB Williams, Bryant
S Bledsoe
===================
CLEARLY
We could have one fewer on Offense and one more Front 6 player.
================
A QUESTION ABOUT DEPTH
If all the contenders were cut, are they any that teams would fight to sign?

Last edited:
#1 priority is upgrading the softest and slowest front 7 in the league.
I list 2 OPEN spots on the defensive front six. There could be two plus an upgrade: NT, DE, ILB

As far as "priority, would think that OG would be right up there with THREE open positions.

You see Taylor over Montgomery?

#1 Priority: Trade Harry
#1a: Cut Tavai (he sucks)

I have confidence that we'll be able to pick up a starting caliber guard either via f/a or the draft. I think the biggest need is cb now. Would also be nice to add a big fat body d-lineman up front as well.

Either let Taylor play or let him leave.

Its maddening how the Pats wont use him. Taylor comes into a game and gets a couple of snaps at the max and one play is bound to be Taylor rushing through the A gaps where he gets swallowed up.

Get Taylor out in space and throw him the ball where he can utilize his size and speed. Use him on a Screen.

First, Mg, thanks again for these threads. Just straight analysis and clearly-laid out information. Thanks!

Of the early reserve group, the most interesting ones are OL and LB. I think two of Durant, Hambright and Desjarlais have a shot, but they probably need a proven starter/solid rookie (Mays or Strange?).

At LB, Langi might have a place. The draft is stacked at LB, though, and I'll be surprised if one of about 6 potential PTP LBs isn't grabbed.

Jennings, Williams, and Bryant are playing for their lives here. Have no idea of what they plan, if anything for Jennings. Williams might have a role, not that they've got a lot of speed elsewhere with Peppers, Dugger, Phillips, Butler...but is it a big enough role (they almost should have told him to add 25 pounds and try to make it with the LB group!).

My dark horse for the 53 is Ekuale.

This is really useful. My takeaways are below, and I don't think the board will like them all.

1. I am increasingly getting the sense that WR won't be a 1/2 round pick. I don't see a rookie WR really seeing the field early in the year following the Parker trade. I think it's more likely to be a 3rd or 4th rounder who can sit and learn ands maybe play in some packages.
2. I am close to being there on CB too. I wonder whether Bill will roll with Mills, Butler and Jones to start the year and he'd rather pick a high traits guy with special teams ability e.g. Woolen/McCollum in the 3rd round, who again can sit and learn as CB4.
3. I don't see ILB as big a need as others. We mostly play in nickel and with the move for more speed, I can see Philips/Peppers playing as weak side LB. That means we probably have enough with Bentley, McMillan, McGrone and Wilson.
4. Front 7 needs help. Ideally we can find a big bodied nose but I also think OLB is a sneaky need. Not a huge amount after Judon. I'm all in on bringing Trey Flowers back but I could see an early OLB given the quality in the class if that doesn't happen.
5. I could really see an OG or OT early. Think we have to prepare for the possibility of a trade down to the 28-32 range and taking Zion Johnson or one of the OTs there.

This is really useful. My takeaways are below, and I don't think the board will like them all.

1. I am increasingly getting the sense that WR won't be a 1/2 round pick. I don't see a rookie WR really seeing the field early in the year following the Parker trade. I think it's more likely to be a 3rd or 4th rounder who can sit and learn ands maybe play in some packages.
2. I am close to being there on CB too. I wonder whether Bill will roll with Mills, Butler and Jones to start the year and he'd rather pick a high traits guy with special teams ability e.g. Woolen/McCollum in the 3rd round, who again can sit and learn as CB4.
3. I don't see ILB as big a need as others. We mostly play in nickel and with the move for more speed, I can see Philips/Peppers playing as weak side LB. That means we probably have enough with Bentley, McMillan, McGrone and Wilson.
4. Front 7 needs help. Ideally we can find a big bodied nose but I also think OLB is a sneaky need. Not a huge amount after Judon. I'm all in on bringing Trey Flowers back but I could see an early OLB given the quality in the class if that doesn't happen.
5. I could really see an OG or OT early. Think we have to prepare for the possibility of a trade down to the 28-32 range and taking Zion Johnson or one of the OTs there.
I agree. Given the risk for these 1st RD players, maybe it's better if they target a position they seem really good at evaluating, OL. It meets a need (LG) and helps w/ depth. Maybe as you say, Zion Johnson, if they think he could be the next Thuney. Or a DL, where they've also had success.

Good breakdown, as always, thank you!

I'm curious how you've listed the WR, with an OPEN slot coming before Meyers. Was that just an arbitrary place for the spot, or do you see Meyers as easily pushed to a 5th WR role?

Agree, this is a great start. I think you about nailed the OPEN slots. My notes as follows:

1. I could see them trying to save space and use MonTy as the 4th RB and Slot WR (Taylor may stick on PS)
2. Not sure if we keep a 3rd QB this year since Mac is 100% entrenched
3. Foresee the potential of a ~3rd round WR that could supersede Wilkerson & Perry as WR5
4. I think we definitely need help at Edge/DE. I believe Ekuale will stick on the 53, not sure about Anderson, draft an OPEN.
5. Not hopeful about McGrone, hard to see them give up on Bledsoe, but there's a plethora of these type guys now. I think one OPEN will be LB draftee.
6. I'm praying (and semi-convinced) that CB will be 1st or 2nd draft pick. Butler and Mitchell should be platoon vet insurance.
7. I think they keep Sherman, dark horse to start at LG. But I expect mid-round OT and OG to be drafted. Maybe even 2nd round for one.

Good breakdown, as always, thank you!

I'm curious how you've listed the WR, with an OPEN slot coming before Meyers. Was that just an arbitrary place for the spot, or do you see Meyers as easily pushed to a 5th WR role?
I seems the consensus of so many posters that a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round draft pick will be sooo good.

For roster building, it doesn't matter much. The staff will decide who get reps based on lots of things.

???

I have Montgomery as the utility player on Offense.

I want to keep a 4th RB spot. I expect/hope Belichick will draft someone in the 4th for that spot.

I have confidence that we'll be able to pick up a starting caliber guard either via f/a or the draft. I think the biggest need is cb now. Would also be nice to add a big fat body d-lineman up front as well.
I will be disappointed if we don't draft a corner in the first.
I'm not sure that Belichick will see the high priority in upgrading the backup NT position in the first 4 rounds.

Either let Taylor play or let him leave.

Its maddening how the Pats wont use him. Taylor comes into a game and gets a couple of snaps at the max and one play is bound to be Taylor rushing through the A gaps where he gets swallowed up.

Get Taylor out in space and throw him the ball where he can utilize his size and speed. Use him on a Screen.
Backups are backups. Belichick didn't think that Taylor was a better choice for reps than Harris, Stevenson and Bolden. Taylor was considered a bottom of the roster, emergency backup.

So, for you, if Taylor isn't one of our top 3 RB's, then we should cut him? I don't see why. I think that we need a #4 RB. There are often injuries to RB's.

I agree. Given the risk for these 1st RD players, maybe it's better if they target a position they seem really good at evaluating, OL. It meets a need (LG) and helps w/ depth. Maybe as you say, Zion Johnson, if they think he could be the next Thuney. Or a DL, where they've also had success.
Yes, we are very good at evaluating OL's. That really good since we need four.

However, perhaps Belichick thinks that guards can come in the 3rd and 4th.

There are a lot corners projected to be picked in the first 35 picks. One should be able to be a contributor for us in 2022 or 2023.

Agree, this is a great start. I think you about nailed the OPEN slots. My notes as follows:

1. I could see them trying to save space and use MonTy as the 4th RB and Slot WR (Taylor may stick on PS)
Are you suggesting that we are OK at receiver with Parker, Agholor, Bourne, Myers and Montgomery?

I would like a developmental or better WR. After all Myers and Agholor will be free agents after the season.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back