PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rookie "Locks"

No one is discounting anything. However, what MG stated is FACT. Since Belichick took over, every pick 4th round and above has made the initial roster during their rookie year. The only exceptions have been players who were IRed.
And only one has been cut during the rookie season, Kareem Brown (one guess what season).

It's not a matter of "most likely being right". It's a matter of FACT. Just because you throw up some hypothetical doesn't change 22 years of Belichick history.

It was a matter of fact that he had never hired a defensive coordinator to be offensive coordinator in 20 plus years, but it happened.

He would cut a kicker if he sucked. He just cut one with a fully guaranteed contract. How many of those type of cuts has he done in 20 plus years?

Christian Gonzalez- lock
Keion White - lock
Marte Mapu - IR, Dugger replacement
Jake Andrews - compete for spot, probably PS
Chad Ryland - lock, possible IR if he will struggle through TC
Sidy Sow - compete for spot
Atonio Mafi - compete for spot
Kayshon Boutte - IR
Bryce Baringer - lock
Demario Douglas - PS
Ameer Speed - lock, new Justin Bethel
Isaiah Bolden - PS

I think this year would be the year with most rookies on 53

Locks
  • Gonzalez
  • White
  • Mapu
  • Sow
  • J Andrews
  • Sidy Sow
  • Bahringer
  • Boutte
  • Douglas

Locks
  • Gonzalez
  • White
  • Mapu
  • Sow
  • J Andrews
  • Sidy Sow
  • Bahringer
  • Boutte
  • Douglas
Yes, a lot of rookies will make the 53. IMO, calling Douglas a lock is sort of silly. Boutte seems a lock for the 53 or IR. Hopefully, Bolden and Speed have chances also.

Yes, a lot of rookies will make the 53. IMO, calling Douglas a lock is sort of silly. Boutte seems a lock for the 53 or IR. Hopefully, Bolden and Speed have chances also.
I agree. It was just a bit aggressive. But kid can play ball. Super fast with great route running . Possibly IR. Definitely not PS.

Bolden followed Deion to Jackson St from Florida St in 2021.... DEION SANDERS TRAINED THIS KID! All of you are overlooking this kid BIGTIME.Kid ran a 4.33 at his pro but ran a 4.28 at workouts at Jackson St. What the hell do you think Deion was doing, telling this kid "just go out and play??? DEION FREAKING SANDERS???? This kid has Deion's influence all over him..and at 6'2" 210 pounds, having LED the FBS and FCS in return yardage. The many MORONS a lot of you guys use for your opinions have him listed at 6 foot 175 or 6 foot 1 180. Why is that??? It's because all the big blabbermouth experts stopped paying attention to Jackson St. players over a decade and a half ago. BOLDEN IS SIX FOOT TWO, 210 pounds. Do yourselves a favor...google Deion's comments on this kid and then tell me "meh, a 7th round nobody, 175 pounds too short...blah blas blah blah".

Bolden followed Deion to Jackson St from Florida St in 2021.... DEION SANDERS TRAINED THIS KID! All of you are overlooking this kid BIGTIME.Kid ran a 4.33 at his pro but ran a 4.28 at workouts at Jackson St. What the hell do you think Deion was doing, telling this kid "just go out and play??? DEION FREAKING SANDERS???? This kid has Deion's influence all over him..and at 6'2" 210 pounds, having LED the FBS and FCS in return yardage. The many MORONS a lot of you guys use for your opinions have him listed at 6 foot 175 or 6 foot 1 180. Why is that??? It's because all the big blabbermouth experts stopped paying attention to Jackson St. players over a decade and a half ago. BOLDEN IS SIX FOOT TWO, 210 pounds. Do yourselves a favor...google Deion's comments on this kid and then tell me "meh, a 7th round nobody, 175 pounds too short...blah blas blah blah".
Did you know his dad was an NFL CB? Fourth round pick of the Falcons, also played for a bunch of other teams over about 8 or 10 years, and in the CFL.

plus the kid has decent RAS. Him not going earlier is part of Deion’s upset about HBCU prospects being ignored. He could be the steal of the draft this year.

IMG_0564.jpeg

I agree. It was just a bit aggressive. But kid can play ball. Super fast with great route running . Possibly IR. Definitely not PS.
Folks always think that our 6th and 7th rounders will not make the Practice Squad. Hundreds of players are cut at the final cut. Sure, sometimes our 6th and 7th rounders are picked up. OK, that's the system. My memory is that the vast majority of our cuts of 6th, 7th and UDFA's make our Practice Squad if we want them.

BTW, that is especially true of WR's. BTW, Wilkerson is available to be signed.

Last edited:
Boutte dazzles the coaches during camp. Lock.

Boutte and Bolden are two picks that can get fans excited. Gonzales, White, Mapu and Sow are easy to like for most because of the tape available to the average Joe. But the former two really get the possible “steal” of the draft vibes. Sure it might not work out but I love these types of picks. I’m also following the Aubrey Miller(TB) and Kennan Issac (Miami) udfa to see how they turn out.

more mac hating hope ... he will be a rb or wr
I still have high hopes for Mac but I also think Malik has an excellent chance of making the 53 as QB3 -- if only for his value as the scout team QB when prepping for dual threat QB's like Jalen Hurts. He will also gives them the threat of running their own dual threat packages situationally...

I still have high hopes for Mac but I also think Malik has an excellent chance of making the 53 as QB3 -- if only for his value as the scout team QB when prepping for dual threat QB's like Jalen Hurts. He will also gives them the threat of running their own dual threat packages situationally...
It's unlikely they'll need him to be on the 53 to be QB3 or for his Scout Team value.

Mostly agree on the reoccurring points in the thread.

I think Mafi makes the roster and Cajuste is cut.

Sow to RT.

Locks
  • Gonzalez
  • White
  • Mapu
  • Sow
  • J Andrews
  • Sidy Sow
  • Bahringer
  • Boutte
  • Douglas
Sow is so good, he’s on there twice !

If he’s the Malik Cunningham of 2021, yes. If he’s the Malik Cunningham of 2022, no thanks.

And he’s a great return man. I like him more than Speed. Bolden is a REALLY interesting pick. You can’t teach what he has, size, speed and he has the hunger. I agree with Joker, there might be a bit of prejudice vs HBCU schools as far as evaluating talent, or even the amount of evaluating, which is pretty much zero.

I did some pre draft information gathering about Bolden prior to the draft, because I read he was in for a visit. Once I saw the info about him, his explosive numbers pro day wise, I was left wondering why he was rated so low. He looks so smooth and effortless as a return man.

And he’s a great return man. I like him more than Speed. Bolden is a REALLY interesting pick. You can’t teach what he has, size, speed and he has the hunger. I agree with Joker, there might be a bit of prejudice vs HBCU schools as far as evaluating talent, or even the amount of evaluating, which is pretty much zero.

I did some pre draft information gathering about Bolden prior to the draft, because I read he was in for a visit. Once I saw the info about him, his explosive numbers pro day wise, I was left wondering why he was rated so low. He looks so smooth and effortless as a return man.
Bolden is kick returner. Troy will try out lots of folks in camp since we greatly need a backup punt returner.

BTW, I see zero competition between Bolden and Speed. Bolden will make it (or not) as a #5 or #6 CB.
On the other hand, Spped played 310 ST resps at Michigan State and is considered to top special tearmer, hopefully he this yea'rs Schooler.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back