PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Romeo Crennel has retired... No other D-coordinator worked better with Bill, not Al Groh, not Patricia.

Their best defense was under Crennel between 2001-2004. Patricia's D's were soft as Charmin despite their "ranking".

Their best defense was under Crennel between 2001-2004. Patricia's D's were soft as Charmin despite their "ranking".
When BB pulled the big trade for Ted Washington from Chicago the Pat's run D was impenetrable. Klecko tried out at NT first and was getting blown up during pre season.

When BB pulled the big trade for Ted Washington from Chicago the Pat's run D was impenetrable. Klecko tried out at NT first and was getting blown up during pre season.
Klecko was "Rudy". It was ridiculous that he was ever out there. Many fans on here have no idea how important Ted Washington was. Without him, the Pats couldn't run the 3-4.

Thanks for the memories, Romeo!

6isxae.jpg

;)

He had some great players under him, but Romeo was the wizened chef who stirred the soup... They all respected the hell outta him (& Pepper Johnson too) because he had been there and won there, and whatever he said you could take to the bank... He was also our DL coach here under Parcells, so a lot of the First Dynasty guys already knew him and what he brought to the party when he returned in 2001, when the Winning began...

RAC for the NEP HOF? Not before Dante, and I hope that Chuck Fairbanks will have been elected before Romeo becomes eligible; then I could vote Yes with a clear conscience...

Klecko was "Rudy". It was ridiculous that he was ever out there. Many fans on here have no idea how important Ted Washington was. Without him, the Pats couldn't run the 3-4.
If you look at all the impactful signings over the years I’d put right up there easily in the top 5 Patriots adds of all time. After the magical 01 campaign, the team came down to earth in a hard way in 02. Worst run defense I can remember, had a 3 game stretch where Priest Holmes, LT and Ricky Williams demoralized this team. Although he only played in the 2003 season, he helped turn it into the 4th ranked in the NFL and was the instant solution to the run defense woes from the year before. Well worth the trade and forever a Super Bowl Champion.

That's a lot of commentary for a thread title.

What about Flores?

If you look at all the impactful signings over the years I’d put right up there easily in the top 5 Patriots adds of all time. After the magical 01 campaign, the team came down to earth in a hard way in 02. Worst run defense I can remember, had a 3 game stretch where Priest Holmes, LT and Ricky Williams demoralized this team. Although he only played in the 2003 season, he helped turn it into the 4th ranked in the NFL and was the instant solution to the run defense woes from the year before. Well worth the trade and forever a Super Bowl Champion.

Big Ted in 2003, then a transition to Vince in 2004. That wide-body presence in the middle made everything work better.

Big Ted in 2003, then a transition to Vince in 2004. That wide-body presence in the middle made everything work better.
Keith Traylor was the guy in 2004. Vince didn't take over until 2005.

That's a lot of commentary for a thread title.

What about Flores?

Good question. Flores fielded a stifling defense in an era where it's really difficult to defend, especially for secondaries, due to rules.

However, Crennel stifled incredibly formidable teams and out muscled the best competition multiple years in a row, tallying up multiple SB wins.

I think Crennel gets the nod, and quite decisively. Still a good question, though.

Keith Traylor was the guy in 2004. Vince didn't take over until 2005.
Back when BB was playing chess and everyone else checkers.

Corey Dillon joined up. After the signing, some people were saying that you may as well give NE the Lombardi right now.

Back when BB was playing chess and everyone else checkers.

Corey Dillon joined up. After the signing, some people were saying that you may as well give NE the Lombardi right now.
Those were the days. Loved the Dillon trade, but a 2nd round pick for a 30+ RB would get a GM fired these days.

Those were the days. Loved the Dillon trade, but a 2nd round pick for a 30+ RB would get a GM fired these days.

After the Dillon trade was announced on draft day 2004, whoever reported it (Mortensen maybe) thought that the Pats might still be in the RB business... I was first bummed when Bill chose Dexter Reid instead of Mewelde Moore in the middle of the 4th round; I was even more bummed when he chose Cedric Cobbs instead of Michael Turner at the end of the 4th round... Either Moore or Turner would've made a great addition with Dillon, for different reasons, to join Kevin Faulk in that '04 backfield.

After the Dillon trade was announced on draft day 2004, whoever reported it (Mortensen maybe) thought that the Pats might still be in the RB business... I was first bummed when Bill chose Dexter Reid instead of Mewelde Moore in the middle of the 4th round; I was even more bummed when he chose Cedric Cobbs instead of Michael Turner at the end of the 4th round... Either Moore or Turner would've made a great addition with Dillon, for different reasons, to join Kevin Faulk in that '04 backfield.
I was a Steven Jackson fan.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back