PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison on the state of the Patriots

Rodney has always come across as the dude you would love to share a beer with, but after a while, you’re so exhausted by his intensity. I love Rodney, but holy **** does he always feel like he’s one step away from punching somebody in the noggin or what? :haha:

Not as much of a fan of Rodney as I used to be. I think that skirt comment about Brady had a lot to do with it.

I haven't listened to it yet (won't get the chance for a while), but I'm always a little wary of guys from the early 2000's lamenting what the current defense isn't doing. Rodney never really had to play in this era of PI, illegal contact, etc. It was just starting to turn that way towards the end of his career. So while I would agree (if this is what he's saying) that the Patriots need a little more intensity on D, I think he probably underestimates how difficult that line to walk has become.

My only regret about Rodney is that he couldn’t play his entire career as a Patriot. I don’t agree with everything he says but love his honesty.

I haven't listened to it yet (won't get the chance for a while), but I'm always a little wary of guys from the early 2000's lamenting what the current defense isn't doing. Rodney never really had to play in this era of PI, illegal contact, etc. It was just starting to turn that way towards the end of his career. So while I would agree (if this is what he's saying) that the Patriots need a little more intensity on D, I think he probably underestimates how difficult that line to walk has become.

Take it even a step further. Rodney, and his DB peers with similar style, were part of the reason the NFL changed the rules and made it a "softer" game. We can debate whether this was good, or not, all day long. There are probably at least a couple of WR's still playing with full functionality who otherwise would have been damaged or retired in the past 10 years by the old style and rules.

On another note, has anyone ever seen Rodney and Paul Pierce in the same room, at the same time? Pretty much the same player.

Last edited:
Send Steve packing and bring Rodney in to replace him? Lol

I agree, but I think he's looking for an enforcer. Him, Tedy, Willie - these guys could make that one hit to spark the rest of the D. Even the 2001 team needed that - Bryan Cox really set the tone with that hit on Pathon.

You'd think Judon would be that guy - he really set the tone early, but faded late.

I agree, but I think he's looking for an enforcer. Him, Tedy, Willie - these guys could make that one hit to spark the rest of the D. Even the 2001 team needed that - Bryan Cox really set the tone with that hit on Pathon.

You'd think Judon would be that guy - he really set the tone early, but faded late.

I think Dugger can be that guy. He made huge leaps in his speed (processing wise) in year 2 and started playing faster and more aggressive. No one looked good in that playoff game overall, but I think he can get even better in year 3. His instincts should allow a little more of that ferocity to come out.

They need a lot of guys on D. He doesn’t care for the “points per game” nonsense either.

It's a joke and it sure as hell isn't about Rodney's stats.

34 INTS
30.5 sacks
40 TFL
78 passes defensed
15 forced fumbles
Over 1200 tackles
2X SB Champion

Is he still the only guy with 30 Ints and 30 sacks in his career? I know he was at the time he reached those milestones, but not sure if anyone else has done it since.

Is he still the only guy with 30 Ints and 30 sacks in his career? I know he was at the time he reached those milestones, but not sure if anyone else has done it since.
Dawkins is close w 26 sacks and 37 picks.

Our favorite poll answer (RLKAG) was the second player to reach the 30/30 threshold.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back