PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodgers sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo, might be a good time to drink some water.

Does Rodgers suck?

Though there is some exaggeration in that statement, he arguably does suck from a value/ cap standpoint (which is the same thing as sucking from the standpoint of trying to build a winning franchise.). He needed to be the highest paid player immediately and the Packers caved to him with ZERO upside to extending him with two years left on his deal. The downside? If last year is his new normal, or anything close to it, he will never be a cap asset again, or in other words you’re better off with a decent rookie contract QB making 400K.

Wilson can’t wait to suck by replacing Rodgers as the league’s highest paid liability. He is so amazing he “leads” below average average offenses but makes sure he pads his passer rating when the game is out of reach.

Rodgers - good/great QB but bad cap investment (and neutral cap at best investment if he returns to prime form). Set INT free streak while facing heavy criticism for not taking risks when necessary to win game.

Wilson - average/occasionally very good QB about to be the worst cap investment in the NFL. Mr. 22.5 Points per Game with fake 100 passer rating.

He is an amazing talent, but he's proof that you need more than talent to be a winner.

The only thing that I'll say in his defense is that the Packers coaching staff and front office didn't hold up their end of the deal either. Yet another mismanaged NFL team.

He is an amazing talent, but he's proof that you need more than talent to be a winner.

The only thing that I'll say in his defense is that the Packers coaching staff and front office didn't hold up their end of the deal either.

I don’t know how I feel about the “bad teammate” aspect. When the Packers are rolling, all seems to be fine with Rodgers, and it’s confidence and not arrogance. Then the Packers losing changes the perspective 180 degrees. A lot of players have been control freaks, some like Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, etc., and many QBs with the same tendencies.

I just think he’s overrated for the mere fact that he isn’t actually a transcendent QB. Is a highlight reel extraordinaire? Sure. Is he very good? Absolutely? Among the greatest ever? Laughable. I look at offensive PPG as the starting point of dominance and then break it down from there. Why is it Brady averages more with less dominant players around him? The answer is obvious. Flashy play and flashy stats aren’t the whole story.

I’m convinced that he’s actively trying to manipulate the passer rating formula at the expense of winning games. He makes many more difficult than they need to be. He’s a smart QB, but he isn’t close to Brady for pre-snap reads or pocket awareness.

Also Brady has balls the size of watermelons on the biggest stage. The throws he makes are insanely risky and pinpointed lasers. Never seen anything like it. He will put his legacy on the line and make his toughest throws of the season in overtime of a championship game. Almost all other QBs including Rodgers tend to shrivel up...much like turtle shell Manning used to.

That’s transcendence.

Stupid thread is stupid.

For someone so talented ... there's something missing.

But there are have been many extremely talented players in all sports where we can say the same. For me the athlete that knows how to make others around them better seem to grab the prize more often than the others. Brady, Jordan, Gretzky, Bird, Magic Johnson, Montana just to name a few. Rogers doesn't have that ... neither does Lebron and on a local level Kyrie Irving doen't have it either.

Last edited:
Please check your carbon monoxide level.

I hope this OP is only a child otherwise I worry about his/her future

Would not say he sucks but I will say that Brady is by far the greatest QB to ever play the game. EVERYTHING he does is the right thing. He is probably the closest thing to the perfect football player ever.

Honestly, even the angels in heaven will shed a tear when he retires.

Garbage thread

Does Rodgers suck?
yes.

Well, no actually, but....

I read an article last year that did a good job describing how he "passes" (no pun intended) on what should be the first read often, even when open, in order to try and take the shot down field. And his INTs are low because he is happy to throw it away ALL the time. (I.e. sometimes the risk is ok, but he does not want the pic)

I don’t know how I feel about the “bad teammate” aspect. When the Packers are rolling, all seems to be fine with Rodgers, and it’s confidence and not arrogance. Then the Packers losing changes the perspective 180 degrees. A lot of players have been control freaks, some like Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, etc., and many QBs with the same tendencies.

I just think he’s overrated for the mere fact that he isn’t actually a transcendent QB. Is a highlight reel extraordinaire? Sure. Is he very good? Absolutely? Among the greatest ever? Laughable. I look at offensive PPG as the starting point of dominance and then break it down from there. Why is it Brady averages more with less dominant players around him? The answer is obvious. Flashy play and flashy stats aren’t the whole story.

I’m convinced that he’s actively trying to manipulate the passer rating formula at the expense of winning games. He makes many more difficult than they need to be. He’s a smart QB, but he isn’t close to Brady for pre-snap reads or pocket awareness.

Also Brady has balls the size of watermelons on the biggest stage. The throws he makes are insanely risky and pinpointed lasers. Never seen anything like it. He will put his legacy on the line and make his toughest throws of the season in overtime of a championship game. Almost all other QBs including Rodgers tend to shrivel up...much like turtle shell Manning used to.

That’s transcendence.

I think we can separate the concept of talent and the concept of value or 'actualized talent' for the sake of conversation. I'm not saying "if Jamarcus Russell was smart and motivated". I'm just saying that "if Rodgers was a coached by someone better and if Rodgers agreed to do as that coach told him instead of winging it" he would be one of the best of all time, arguably the best of all time when you consider his arm talent, mobility, and smarts. He's not like a raw project that didn't work out. His career just veered in a slightly different direction because of a couple factors.

Then, you might say "what about Elway" or a million other famous physically talented QBs. I'd say Rodgers has as much to offer as any of them.

yes.

Well, no actually, but....

I read an article last year that did a good job describing how he "passes" (no pun intended) on what should be the first read often, even when open, in order to try and take the shot down field. And his INTs are low because he is happy to throw it away ALL the time. (I.e. sometimes the risk is ok, but he does not want the pic)
Polar opposite of Favre.

I think we can separate the concept of talent and the concept of value or 'actualized talent' for the sake of conversation. I'm not saying "if Jamarcus Russell was smart and motivated". I'm just saying that "if Rodgers was a coached by someone better and if Rodgers agreed to do as that coach told him instead of winging it" he would be one of the best of all time, arguably the best of all time when you consider his arm talent, mobility, and smarts. He's not like a raw project that didn't work out. His career just veered in a slightly different direction because of a couple factors.

Then, you might say "what about Elway" or a million other famous physically talented QBs. I'd say Rodgers has as much to offer as any of them.

This is something that gets brought up a lot. Rodgers isn’t capable of benefiting from advanced coaching concepts like Brady does. Brady reads defenses and progressions pre-snap and with a second of snapping the ball. To say Rodgers could just tack that on to his game with coaching like it’s a learned skill rather than innate ability, is same absurd thinking that Brady can just develop th same arm strength and mobility as Rodgers if he tried. I’ve said th exact same thing about Mahomes because it’s true. Brady appears to be incredibly well coached because he understands defenses and concepts like no one else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes