PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ridley talks the talk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzo

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
An incredibly display of maturity for a 24-yr-old dude.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4756105/stevan-ridley-stays-strong-after-benching

I knew what I did to get there,” Ridley said in the 1-on-1 interview. “It wasn’t like Coach Bill [Belichick] just up and decided to bench me for the game. There was a reason for him doing what he did. He’s one of the best coaches to coach this sport, and I respect whatever he puts me through.

“...that’s somewhere I don’t ever want to be again. If that’s what is going to fuel me, if that’s what I needed, I have to bounce back strong. I refuse to let this bring me down and control my career. I have to keep fighting and keep battling every day. I’m going to work every day and am going to work hard. I know the player I am and I know the player God created me to be, and I just have to keep pushing it.”

I'm really anxious to see what happens of his career from this point onward...

In the reps he's gotten since the Denver game, he seems to be approaching the LoS with two hands around the ball and seems to be holding it high and tight in the open. It's just a matter of breaking an old habit for him and old habits die hard.

We are gonna need the riddler come playoffs. He is a key part of the offense, hope he breaks out these next few weeks.

I still think he's our best pure RB. I hope he puts it together.

Backup role to Blount suits him well.

I just got a Ridley throwback jersey for Xmas so he better turn it around.

Just hold on to the football,man. If you have to focus on the phrase 'hold it high and tight', well more power to you as long as it works!

Backup role to Blount suits him well.
As surprising as Blount has been, care to explain to me how the more powerful and dynamic runner is suited to the role of back up? Ridley is a better RB than Blount. That's not to discredit Blount because he's been very good of late.

He's an awesome back. I look forward to him getting carries every game.

He sounds like another guy that wants to be a Patriot for the long haul.

As surprising as Blount has been, care to explain to me how the more powerful and dynamic runner is suited to the role of back up? Ridley is a better RB than Blount. That's not to discredit Blount because he's been very good of late.

people keep saying hes "more dynamics" and "more powerful" and yet hes done NOTHING to be given such praise.

He fumbles more,
His ypc career is .1 less
his career longs are less.

Am i missing games or something? Riddley is a very serviceable back, but people talk about him like hes the second coming.

people keep saying hes "more dynamics" and "more powerful" and yet hes done NOTHING to be given such praise.

He fumbles more,

Am i missing games or something? Riddley is a very serviceable back, but people talk about him like hes the second coming.
Yes, you do appear to be missing something chasa. 1200+ rushing seasons @ 4.4 yards a pop grow on trees.

Yes, you do appear to be missing something chasa. 1200+ rushing seasons @ 4.4 yards a pop grow on trees.

Whole lot of love for 1 above average season

You made the remark that Ridley receives praise for having done nothing. It was pointed out to you that Ridley has in fact, done something. This season has been disappointing but on any other team, I doubt he's benched for a few mistakes.

The kid turns 25 in Jan. and the only RB from the '11 draft that's outperformed him to this point is Demarco Murray taken 2 picks before him. If he can get the ball security issue under control we got a helluva find for a 3rd rounder. I remember when Kevin Faulk had issues and people questioning him and how'd that turn out.

He's mentally and physically tougher than Maroney ever was. Don't give up on this kid yet.

Re: Re: Ridley talks the talk...

He fumbles more,

For starters, we all know he (Ridley) doesn't have the extra gear to take one to the house. He has the vision and running ability to take one twenty, but he won't be out running a safety any time soon. We have all seen Blount do just that. I'm sure he did it in Tampa as well. Do me a favor, go back and take all Blount's 20+ carries out of his career ypc, abd do the same for Ridley. I don't have a clue who has more, but based off of watching these two this year I would assume Ridley has a better average after our little exercise.

That said, the kid can make a big ugly look big and ugly. Plain and simple. Granted, it doesn't happen every time, but about as often as not, he makes that first big man miss, or at least slips him enough to carry forward to the next defender. Blount has no wiggle. He has a juke step in open space on a linebacker, and he has a new found love for putting his shoulders down and driving on contact. Honestly, this is the best case scenario for him.

He is 250+, decent speed, and if he gets off the second level clean he can easily run over a lone db in open space. Turn the clock back a few years on Brandon Jacobs, Blount is the closest thing to Jacobs this year. If you disagree (again, Brandon Jacobs "glory days," "earth, wind, and fire" or some goofy media Nick name), tell be who resembles the bruising back I refer to more...

Ridley has wiggle. He can juke a blitzing safety. He can slip a linebacker crashing a gap. He can make the lucky guessing de look like a fool in the backfield. Sure, he gets bottled up his share of times, but the kid more often than not, makes someone miss.

He gets an offseason under his belt with new ways to carry the ball and he will be fine...has a lot of talent

I still think he's our best pure RB. I hope he puts it together.

Of course he is. He ran for 1200 yards and scores over 10 TDs his sophomore season. I get anxious whenever he carries the ball. I really like Ridley and am a big supporter and I don't want him to put the ball on the ground again. He is too talented to have his career dismantled by his fumbling problems. I really want this kid to get over that problem because he has a bright future.

I know there's a number of people who like to talk up Blount and marginalize Ridley at the same time. I like both and would remind those people that Blount's fumble issues have been nearly equivalent to Ridley. We need both of them.

Of course he is. He ran for 1200 yards and scores over 10 TDs his sophomore season.

Honestly, I just don't get this argument. Ridley's the best back because he had a good rookie season? The problem with using that as a metric is this:

In his rookie season, Blount had over 1000 yards and averaged 5 yards per carry.

Honestly, I just don't get this argument. Ridley's the best back because he had a good rookie season? The problem with using that as a metric is this:

In his rookie season, Blount had over 1000 yards and averaged 5 yards per carry.

It's pretty easy to understand actually. He was productive running behind BJGE in his rookie year. He has a very good sophomore year. His running has not diminished in his third year. He experienced his problem area a lot and been benched for it.

Ridley is a good runner. He is an effective runner. He is good at the goal line. None of those things have changed. I'm sure if he got more carries he'd be close or even over 1000 yards again. But he was rightfully benched because of fumble issues.

I am not trying to diminish the importance of holding onto the ball. I saying that Blount has had his fumbling issues. They are on statistically on par with Ridley based on their career stats or else very close.

Ridley and Blount are BOTH good and productive. But the campaign to say Blount is somehow significantly better than Ridley is ridiculous. I don't know your position on it but the bottom line for me is that Ridley is a good runner who will come in handy in the playoffs just like Blount. If it means so much to prove that Blount is better than Ridley then those people can go ahead. The fact is that they are both good and both have a history of fumbling. If I need to bring up the stats I will; their fumbling problems are on par with each other. I have posted it before at the point of Ridley fumble against the Broncos but no one challenged it. So I don't get the debate. Let's hope Ridley doesn't put the ball on the ground (and Blount too) and play a good role in the
post season.

And in terms of YPC? If that's the proof of who is better than go ahead. 4.2 or above is pretty good. If that .3 proves Blount is better with 30 less carries then run with it. I don't feel that is a defining factor in the course of one season in which Ridley spends one day in the game and another on the bench, rinse and repeat.

That's easy. In a season of games largely decided by 1 score, Ridley has personally handed 3 scores to the other team and individually leads NFL backs in lost fumbles. 'Dynamic' and 'electric' is great when the excitement is enjoyed by your team, not the other team. I hope he has finally gained his clue in ball protection, because he is a positive contributor when he is not coughing up the ball.

I wouldn't call Ridley more powerful, but I would agree he is more dynamic and a better lateral runner. Good jump cuts and jukes. Blount actually recorded a better 40 time (4.59 vs. 4.66) and is significantly larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back