PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ricky Williams' quotes and future. What about N.E.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know he is frustrated and is now a free agent, but he threw a lot of people under the bus there. He also want more touches. Also is his pot smoking days over? I don't want to risk him influencing the younger kids (Hernandez).

We can use his skills but if Morris stays another year he can be the veteran presence we need. I rather draft a Mid round RB.

Ricky can be good for NE, despite the baggage. BB will command respect and he (i.e. Ricky) knows that he would be gone in a heartbeat if he didn't toe the line and behave. I think a one year contract to start with plus bonuses - reaching 1000 yards, playoff wins etc should be good enough. If he wants a ring, he shouldn't expect the big bucks upfront here.

I think that the love of football, pot-smoking, and intensity issues are being overplayed here. Ricky does work hard on the field, in practice, and is well-liked by all his teammates. He has matured in many ways, though he is very media-shy so this outburst was uncharacteristic.

The real issue is that he is 34 and has anyone seen him break a tackle recently? It seems like the first contact brings him down these days.

I'd welcome ricky williams. Also would like to see them take a look at Kuhn or bringing back Heath Evans.

Ricky Williams is one of the best spoken players in the NFL. He was throwing people under the bus in that Dolphins organization because they deserve it. Generally, he never says those types of things. Most Dolphin fans believe Ricky is one of the credible players on that team, and a leader.

Have some of you even seen the guy? How can anyone think he is a bad influence?

I think he's too old, but a bunch of you are talking **** about a player you don't even know. He's a good guy.

Last edited:
What I saw from Williams from recent seasons is an aging star player who still can be productive. However, I don't think he's expecting to be given a featured role with his new team despite his remarkable resurgence last season starting in place of an injured Ronnie Brown. I've to believe that his career is winding down and I don't view him as a player that desires to play pass two more seasons at the most. Hence, New England could be an ideal situation to wrap up your NFL career.

Williams is a veteran that could excel playing behind a younger running back. He's a career 4.1 yards per carry, so he moves the ball. Also, his carries have been considerably low (by comparison to earlier in his career prior to 2004) through the pass three seasons. Again, Miami needed to lean on him last season to handle the bulk of the workload in Brown's absence. He shouldn't expect that scenario playing out with the Patriots and a healthy Green-Ellis.

If Belichick were to sign him, I wouldn't expect him to have the same impact as, let's say, Corey Dillon since he presumably won't be signed to be the starter. On the other hand, I expect him to be more durable and productive than Fred Taylor. Also, Williams' addition would allow Danny Woodhead to be more of a third down running back. Actually, Williams is still a capable receiver out of the backfield. Imagine Brady on third down and long having Williams and Woodhead as options besides the wide receivers and tight ends.

If Williams decides to sign with New England, he'll get an opportunity at a larger role because Belichick would figure out ways to get the most out of his abilities. He can still be a dual threat for a team under the right head coach.

Last edited:
What I saw from Williams from recent seasons is an aging star player who still can be productive. However, I don't think he's expecting to be given a featured role with his new team despite his remarkable resurgence last season starting in place of an injured Ronnie Brown. I've to believe that his career is winding down and I don't view him as a player that desires to play pass two more seasons at the most. Hence, New England could be an ideal situation to wrap up your NFL career.

Williams is a veteran that could excel playing behind a younger running back. He's a career 4.1 yards per carry, so he moves the ball. Also, his carries have been considerably low (by comparison to earlier in his career prior to 2004) through the pass three seasons. Again, Miami needed to lean on him last season to handle the bulk of the workload in Brown's absence. He shouldn't expect that scenario playing out with the Patriots and a healthy Green-Ellis.

If Belichick were to sign him, I wouldn't expect him to have the same impact as, let's say, Corey Dillon since he presumably won't be signed to be the starter. On the other hand, I expect him to be more durable and productive than Fred Taylor. Also, Williams' addition would allow Danny Woodhead to be more of a third down running back. Actually, Williams is still a capable receiver out of the backfield. Imagine Brady on third down and long having Williams and Woodhead as options besides the wide receivers and tight ends.

If Williams decides to sign with New England, he'll get an opportunity at a larger role because Belichick would figure out ways to get the most out of his abilities. He can still be a dual threat for a team under the right head coach.

Good points....

And I can add that Ricky Williams definately still has some football left in him.

But...there is the fumbling history....That would not sit well with BB.

If you want to start looking ahead to free agent running backs other than those currently on the Pats roster, here's a list of some to consider:

DeAngelo Williams
Ahmad Bradshaw
Cedric Benson
Ronnie Brown
Ricky Williams
Michael Bush
Mewelde Moore
Cadillac Williams
Pierre Thomas
Leon Washington
Darren Sproles
Joseph Addai
Derrick Ward
Mike Tolbert
Willie Parker
Brian Westbrook
Tim Hightower
Mike Bell
Brandon Jackson
Jerome Harrison
Jerious Norwood
Mike Bell
Kevin Smith
Mike Hart
Patrick Cobbs
Danny Ware
Kenneth Darby
Michael Spurlock
Garrett Wolfe

And some who are more of a fullback than tailback:
Vonta Leach
Heath Evans
Le'Ron McLain
John Kuhn
Jason Snelling
Brian Leonard
Tony Richardson
Lawrence Vickers
Korey Hall
Naufahu Tahi
Ahmard Hall
Deon Anderson
Lex Hilliard
Jerome Felton
Marcel Reece

I could see the Pats signing one of these guys to compliment BJGE and Woodhead.

Michael Bush
Ronnie Brown
Ricky Williams
Pierre Thomas

I like Ricky alot - plus he's a vegan which is always a plus in my book ;)

Indeed Williams should move on from Miami who likely will look to retool the roster next off-season. It sounds like to me that he's saying that he's a veteran that is still a capable player in the league and he desires to be an integral part of a team with aspirations of winning a Super Bowl. If he isn't looking for one last big contract, I can see him drawing interest from a team such as San Diego, New England or Oakland. But, he'll have to be willing to accept a backup role, a running back by committee, if he wants to attract more suitors. It depends. I get the impression that he doesn't want to be in a repeat situation as Miami. So, definitely, he's hoping that his new team is a playoff team, a contender.

An angry, reflective Ricky Williams says he’s likely done with the Dolphins, doesn’t hold back on criticism of Tony Sparano and teammates | The Daily Dolphin

There are several problems with the idea Rickey Williams in New England:
1. The reason he wants out is that he is complaining about touches. He would be the #2 back in NE behind BJGE. So he might not be happy in that role.
2. Williams is an unpredictable guy. He has had mental issues and drug issues.
3. I honestly don't know if he can fit in personality-wise. He just seems like a guy who would rather be off at the beach in Miami or something than play football. He's not a focused competitor like Welker or Brady.

In short, thanks, but no thanks.

Not sure why on earth we would want Ricky Williams, or why any team would want a 34-year old RB that is past his prime. This isn't the quarterback position where wisdom makes up for a lack of speed.

Based on what he was caught with at the Lil Wayne concert, it seems Faulk is no stranger to a little marijuana either - and he's a captain.

Belichick doesn't care what you do in your spare time as long as you're a leader when you're on the clock. I'm not sure Williams falls into that category, but he's also not a bad teammate or any distraction. If BB thinks he'd help the team, he'd add him.

Not sure why people (after all the information over the years) still make a big fuss about weed... I would agree.. Bill won't care as long they show up and play. I think he's a stickler for hard work and if people don't put the effort in - long hours of study, watching film and understanding how the system works - they are out !! I think the Patriots are again demonstrating the value of having a team focused program, something that many corporations also want. If Bill ever quits football, he will be courted by Corporate America for the sheer skills he brings in managing people.

Not sure why people (after all the information over the years) still make a big fuss about weed... I would agree.. Bill won't care as long they show up and play. I think he's a stickler for hard work and if people don't put the effort in - long hours of study, watching film and understanding how the system works - they are out !! I think the Patriots are again demonstrating the value of having a team focused program, something that many corporations also want. If Bill ever quits football, he will be courted by Corporate America for the sheer skills he brings in managing people.

People make a fuss about it because it's illegal. It doesn't matter if the majority of teenagers do it in their offtime, it's against the law, and rules of the NFL.

Well, the knock on Williams entering the draft was that he has small hands.

I would be concern about his penchant for fumbles as well. However, proper ball handling can be learn. Didn't Kevin Faulk use to commit fumbles?

Conversely, I don't see his personality as much of a concern. The culture is different with the Patriots. The leadership is strong. And I think Williams could like Brady. Neither Brady or Belichick will throw players under the bus publicly. Any player would respect that.

People make a fuss about it because it's illegal. It doesn't matter if the majority of teenagers do it in their offtime, it's against the law, and rules of the NFL.

Oh, it's illegal so it must be terrible. Because all rules are fair and just, we don't need to worry about the reasoning behind these rules. Righttt :rolleyes: Tell that to Kansas St. WR Adrian Hillburn

Anyone know where I can watch "Run Ricky Run" ??? There were some short clips on ESPN's website, but that's all I've got so far.

Oh, it's illegal so it must be terrible. Because all rules are fair and just, we don't need to worry about the reasoning behind these rules. Righttt :rolleyes: Tell that to Kansas St. WR Adrian Hillburn

Uh, relax. I simply stated why I think people make a fuss over it. I didn't post my opinion on Ricky himself or what I think of the rule, no reason to.

And while it may not be the worst thing ever, what gives professional atheletes the right to break the law? Celebrity status? If Joe Smoe can't do it, why can someone with more money?

Uh, relax. I simply stated why I think people make a fuss over it. I didn't post my opinion on Ricky himself or what I think of the rule, no reason to.

And while it may not be the worst thing ever, what gives professional atheletes the right to break the law? Celebrity status? If Joe Smoe can't do it, why can someone with more money?

True, true. My bad, just something I feel pretty strongly about. Oh and for anyone who wants to watch the Run Ricky Run video is on youtube, not sure if I can post links yet but YouTube - 30 for 30: Run Ricky Run (PART 1)

Well, the knock on Williams entering the draft was that he has small hands.

I would be concern about his penchant for fumbles as well. However, proper ball handling can be learn. Didn't Kevin Faulk use to commit fumbles?

Conversely, I don't see his personality as much of a concern. The culture is different with the Patriots. The leadership is strong. And I think Williams could like Brady. Neither Brady or Belichick will throw players under the bus publicly. Any player would respect that.
Faulk being fumble prone was highly exaggerated. He did not fumble often at all. He had one or two fumbles that happened in big games. The only notable fumble of his was against Denver in the Divisional playoff game.

Kevin did not fumble a lot. He's no Benjarvus but it was never as bad as people made it out to be.

If there is room on the roster for both Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris this year, then there will be room on the roster for a Ricky Williams next year, since I don't think either of those guys will be around. I'm not so sure about Faulk either. I'd sure like to see the Pats find a thumper in the middle rounds, but that wouldn't preclude bringing in someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back