PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revis turned down a lot of $$ this last offseason to sign with us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had read your (very nice) article, but I'm wondering: is there any chance the Pats simply cough up that $20mil next season, as a sort of "franchising" in the event they fail to reach an extension? (Especially considering how plausible it seems Revis would land back in the division...) I'm guessing that would make new deals for McCourty, Gost, etc., completely intractable?

Keeping Revis at $25 million would do one of/ or more
1.) limit the number of big number deals that Pats could do (Solder, Vollmer, McCourty).
2.) Cause the release of a couple of players that are not so obvious. Obvious release candidates being Hooman, Amendola.

Example, can't see the Pats tagging McCourty, keeping Revis at $25m, and also keeping Solder at $7.438m. If Pats do not tag McCourty in preparation to let him walk, it increases the chance of keeping Revis at $25 million.
What do you do with Revis in 2016 after paying an average of $16m the past two years. Franchising him in 2016 costs $30m on the cap.

Being Captain Obvious, we will learn more the closer we get to the deadline date

I had read your (very nice) article, but I'm wondering: is there any chance the Pats simply cough up that $20mil next season, as a sort of "franchising" in the event they fail to reach an extension? (Especially considering how plausible it seems Revis would land back in the division...) I'm guessing that would make new deals for McCourty, Gost, etc., completely intractable?
none

Happened to come across this and just wanted to add my two cents even though I know Miguel has all your cap stuff taken care of..I would be shocked if Revis turned down less money to come to New England. That may be some narrative he is putting out there but Revis' goal from day 1 is to be the highest paid player. Revis was desperatey trying to get the Jets in a bidding war because there was limited interest in him around the NFL. He played on good teams with the Jets and held out for more money. He played on bad teams with the Jets and held out for more money. He took a contract from the Bucs with no guarantees so his deal would be worth the most money.

If there is any truth to that rumor it would be that another team offered him more money in 2014, but did not come up to the annual value of the Patriots offer nor structured it in a way that would have sent Revis to free agency in 2015 after Sherman and Peterson signed their extensions. Basically a cap rich team (Raiders, Browns, etc..) offering $13-14 per, first two years guaranteed, under a similar structure as the Bucs deal. Technically he would have made more than in New England but wouldnt be able to call himself highest paid nor would get get the chance to be it ever again. That $16 million number is incredibly important to him nd I dont know if he will budge on it, though he may be willing to just be higher than the $14 mil crew at this point if he agrees its harder to argue best defensive player in the game with Watts dominance.

Patriots best bet to keeping him is working out an extension in February. I think in March you never know what could happen. While I would not expect the Jets or Dolphins to be involved I would expect the Bills to bend over backwards for a player like that. Those owners hve big money and Rex loves the guy. Oakland could get involved if they miss out on other big names. He also has a relationship with the coach in Cleveland if they decide to build a super secondary. Even the Jagaurs might take a risk since the health issues are less. But there is no such thing as a discount. Whoever gives the highest offer is getting him.

Revis' goal from day 1 is to be the highest paid player. ... That $16 million number is incredibly important to him nd I dont know if he will budge on it, though he may be willing to just be higher than the $14 mil crew at this point if he agrees its harder to argue best defensive player in the game with Watts dominance.

I agree with this. I've said all along that I would be shocked if Revis accepted a $12M deal, and that anything under $15M/year should be considered a bargain for the Pats. I think it's pretty simple: the top CBs currently make $14M AAV, the top defensive player $16M. Pay Revis as the highest CB, but slightly less than Watt. That's why I've suggested something like a 4 year/$60M deal with $45M guaranteed. I think that's something you could sell Revis on, but I would be surprised if he takes much less than that.

I think the real question is how it impacts his bottom line if the Pats win the super bowl this year. Does it make him more likely to come back for cheap? Or more likely to demand every dollar he can get?

I agree with this. I've said all along that I would be shocked if Revis accepted a $12M deal, and that anything under $15M/year should be considered a bargain for the Pats. I think it's pretty simple: the top CBs currently make $14M AAV, the top defensive player $16M. Pay Revis as the highest CB, but slightly less than Watt. That's why I've suggested something like a 4 year/$60M deal with $45M guaranteed. I think that's something you could sell Revis on, but I would be surprised if he takes much less than that.

Revis already said he doesn't have to be highest paid CB in league...just in the ball park. I won't be shocked if he takes a deal that makes him #2-3 CB paid. He took less money with us this year compared to what other teams were offering and could offer. So it already happened once

For all we know Revis could have been offered a 4 year 44 million deal. That's lots of $$ and would have made him the highest paid cornerback. Anyone think that Revis is signing that deal this year?

For all we know Revis could have been offered a 5 year $80 deal that was heavily backloaded,. Such a deal=lots of $$ and would have made him the highest paid CB

I LOVE HAVING REVIS. He's everything I hoped he be and more. But the reality is that he is not the type of player who will leave ANY money on the table. If we cant get him signed before he hits FA, he's going to the highest bidder. It's that simple.

When I was single, the most beautiful woman in the world could have rejected me saying she would only sleep with me if there were no other men in the world. I could then say to my friends that the most beautiful woman agreed to sleep with me. Details matter. Without knowing the details of the other offers I can't give them any significance

When I was single, the most beautiful woman in the world could have rejected me saying she would only sleep with me if there were no other men in the world. I could then say to my friends that the most beautiful woman agreed to sleep with me. Details matter. Without knowing the details of the other offers I can't give them any significance

You lucky bastard. She turned me down.

I LOVE HAVING REVIS. He's everything I hoped he be and more. But the reality is that he is not the type of player who will leave ANY money on the table. If we cant get him signed before he hits FA, he's going to the highest bidder. It's that simple.

Without a doubt.

There's no reason to let him hit free agency though. With many players, they tend to let the market dictate their offer, so the player hits free agency.

In the case of Darrelle Revis, things are different. They should have a much better idea of what the market is. Either they reach an extension or they don't and he's gone. I can't see any scenario where they'd be expecting him to hit free agency, yet still stay. Just my opinion.

Classic example. Great stuff.

How can Revis demand to be payed more than Sherman? He's not clearly better than him.

How can Revis demand to be payed more than Sherman? He's not clearly better than him.
The same way Patrick Peterson did. Peterson surpassed Sherman in APY.

Plus, Revis has the leverage in these negotiations.

The same way Patrick Peterson did. Peterson surpassed Sherman in APY.

Plus, Revis has the leverage in these negotiations.
Ok so he can demand 14.2, how is he getting to 16 million? And what leverage does Revis have that Sherman and Peterson did not?

yes he could have got a million or two more per year and a long term contract with more up front money if he waited a little longer but he got 12 million less then 24 her after being a FA with a team that's a lock to make the playoffs so revis got a good deal from the pats

What you are all forgetting is that there is something revis is first and foremost, even before being a "mercenary"

And that is a competitor, and a competitor is not happy going into work every day and losing every week, if the pats offer 13/14 per yr he will stay (ragardlrss if he wins SB this yr or not) bc that is about the right value for him as one of the best cbs in football, and bc he would want to be happy and winning, and NE is the best place to do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes