PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Tom Brady signs 3-year extension with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
TB has only 1 rival for GOAT imo thats Joe Montana. There is clearly no rival for greatest team player/leader of all time. Proud to be a TB/Pats fan!

Thank you for giving me a real answer without dismissing the legitimacy of the question.

NP sometimes people in here read what they want to read and Internet bully just to fill there time. I don't believe in that and I doubt the sponsors and creators of this forum do either. Post what's on your mind and don't feed into the Internet tough guys

Well sometimes it is better to be lucky than good and as fans we are VERY LUCKY, Brady is pretty unique in a number of ways.

He has made some big bucks on and off the field,

He has a wife who earns more than his considerable, he is in a position to play to be the GOAT as his major motavating factor and is willing to sacrifice a lot of $$$ to help reach his goal.

An added benefit is that it most likely means BB also isn't going anywhere for 5 years :)

It does answer your question. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean that it doesn't answer the question.
You answer was that some of the $27 mil in the extension comes from his current contract and that its not all salary. It doesn't say anything about why Brady can't do anything to reduce the rest of it.

In the Union rules? Probably. Not to mention that he doesn't want to necessarily hurt other QBs majorly.

Do yourself a favor, go read the CBA.

Why the hell would I want to read a 250 page legal document. If you know that there are rules that prevent players from signing contracts that pay them below market value then you should be able to cite one of them for me. It will be very easy for you because you must be so intimately familiar it to act like I'm a moron who didn't do the required reading.

"Not to mention that he doesn't want to necessarily hurt other QBs majorly" is an actual answer, thank you. You could have said that in the first place, if Brady takes vet minimum in order to free cap space then other franchises might start expecting their wealthy players to do the same and that is not fair to them.

You want a "REAL" reason as to why your question doesn't deserve a real answer? Because it shows how naive you are to the workings of the real world. It shows a lack of understanding of Unions and of the NFLPA Union more specifically. It shows you've not done a lick of reading of the CBA. Furthermore, you've already changed your "intent" at least once. Who is to say you won't change it again just because you don't like the response you get.

Oops I'm sorry, I didn't know that people weren't allowed to ask questions about player contracts without reading the 250 page CBA first because its such an important part of the workings of the real world. I should have known that in the real world, all unions have rules that prevent football players from accepting contracts that pay them less money to free up cap space.

I don't have any "intent" beyond wanting an answer to my question, I'm wasn't looking to trap anyone into saying that Brady is a greedy evil person for not signing a contract extension for vet minimum which, evidently, people on this forum are paranoid about. I rephrased my question several times because you and other posters are acting like I've insulted their god.

NP sometimes people in here read what they want to read and Internet bully just to fill there time. I don't believe in that and I doubt the sponsors and creators of this forum do either. Post what's on your mind and don't feed into the Internet tough guys

Thanks very much, I've been lurking on this message board for awhile and I didn't know it would be such a hostile place to ask a question.

I'm wasn't looking to trap anyone into saying that Brady is a greedy evil person for not signing a contract extension for vet minimum which, evidently, people on this forum are paranoid about.

right out of page one of the Jet Fan trolling handbook..verbatim...

is that you, JFaulk?

You answer was that some of the $27 mil in the extension comes from his current contract and that its not all salary. It doesn't say anything about why Brady can't do anything to reduce the rest of it.

Why the hell would I want to read a 250 page legal document. If you know that there are rules that prevent players from signing contracts that pay them below market value then you should be able to cite one of them for me. It will be very easy for you because you must be so intimately familiar it to act like I'm a moron who didn't do the required reading.

"Not to mention that he doesn't want to necessarily hurt other QBs majorly" is an actual answer, thank you. You could have said that in the first place, if Brady takes vet minimum in order to free cap space then other franchises might start expecting their wealthy players to do the same and that is not fair to them.

Oops I'm sorry, I didn't know that people weren't allowed to ask questions about player contracts without reading the 250 page CBA first because its such an important part of the workings of the real world. I should have known that in the real world, all unions have rules that prevent football players from accepting contracts that pay them less money to free up cap space.

I don't have any "intent" beyond wanting an answer to my question, I'm wasn't looking to trap anyone into saying that Brady is a greedy evil person for not signing a contract extension for vet minimum which, evidently, people on this forum are paranoid about. I rephrased my question several times because you and other posters are acting like I've insulted their god.

Thanks very much, I've been lurking on this message board for awhile and I didn't know it would be such a hostile place to ask a question.

Go back to Jets Insider and pose your questions about your QB Sanchez's extension

I'm wasn't looking to trap anyone into saying that Brady is a greedy evil person for not signing a contract extension for vet minimum which, evidently, people on this forum are paranoid about.

right out of page one of the Jet Fan trolling handbook..verbatim...

is that you, JFaulk?

Yep that makes a lot of sense, I'm a Jets fan who came here to attack Tom Brady for not signing a vet minimum contract to help his team. It really makes him look bad because he is the only elite and wealthy player around the league not playing for vet min. You certainly can't ask the same question of Revis, Cromartie, or Sanchez because unlike Brady they have also sacrificed millions of dollars by signing tiny contracts in order to free up cap space.

Holy smokes.

I don't know what's better news, Tom Brady as a Patriot until he's 40, or the huge hometown discount he's handing the team.

Kudos for MoLewisRocks for basically calling this for some time now...well done, Mo.

Hey, I said he was here for life, legacy matters to him more than most, but never thought he'd buck the union and do something like this. Really ramps up the pressure on this organization to do whatever it takes, and also puts his peers in a very uncomfortable position. Lots of players won't like this. Thing is he did get something that mattered to him. It's a done deal now, he finishes his career here. $60M fully guaranteed. I believe that is the most money ever FULLY guaranteed to an NFL player. And this also opens up the possibility that if he's still going strong at 40 he could be tagged for another season or even two based on those cap #'s...

Just win...that's what he's always been all about. So long Mallett, hope you have a nice life somewhere chuckin' and duckin'.

If not this season then probably by next unless they catch on somewhere, one of Cassel or Hoyer will probably be back as a pure backup and they will keep scouting the horizen for the actual first attempted replacement and hope they hit on one. He's likely not seen an NCAA field yet. He will have an almost impossible task to accomplish.

Yep that makes a lot of sense, I'm a Jets fan who came here to attack Tom Brady for not signing a vet minimum contract to help his team. It really makes him look bad because he is the only elite and wealthy player around the league not playing for vet min. You certainly can't ask the same question of Revis, Cromartie, or Sanchez because unlike Brady they have also sacrificed millions of dollars by signing tiny contracts in order to free up cap space.

congrats troll, you almost got away with your "Brady is a greedy evil person" meme...dress that little pig up in all the misdirected language you want...seen it 1000 times before...BTW, little weird your first post after lurking all this time is to attempt to create a negative image of Tom Brady...normally, fans lurk for a while and then get their feet wet in a thread that bonds all of us Pats fans in agreement...the Jets Suck thread...not you though...you're that "special" Pats fan that suddenly shows up with this unexpected gift from Brady, and you immediately start in with the prototypical "I'm a Pats fan BUT!!!!"....and your ridiculous hyperbole about "I'm not reading any 250 page document!!!" when only a near brain dead mongoloid would need to do THAT to find the answer to your "questions" is further evidence that YOU are a pre buttfumble Rat fan that has been desperately looking for a way back onto this board without pulling your now embarassing for eternity butt fumble tattoo, scorched into your fan forehead for all to see...forever.

congrats troll, you almost got away with your "Brady is a greedy evil person" meme...dress that little pig up in all the misdirected language you want...seen it 1000 times before...BTW, little weird your first post after lurking all this time is to attempt to create a negative image of Tom Brady...normally, fans lurk for a while and then get their feet wet in a thread that bonds all of us Pats fans in agreement...the Jets Suck thread...not you though...your that "special" Pats fan that suddenly shows up with this unexpected gift from Brady, and you immediately start in with the prototypical "I'm a Pats fan BUT!!!!"....and your ridiculous hyperbole about "I'm not reading any 250 page document!!!" when only a near brain dead mongoloid would need to do THAT to find the answer to your "questions" is further evidence that YOU are a pre buttfumble Rat fan that has been desperately looking for a way back onto this board without pulling your now embarassing for eternity butt fumble tattoo, scorched into your fan forehead for all to see...forever.

Best "Welcome To the Board" post in ages

Talk about a ****** team player. No other quarterback in the league would do this. Laughable that Flacco will make 7 mill more dollars nexrt season.

I guess Joe Flacco is sticking pins in his Tom Brady Bobblehead tonight.

I love Brady as much as the next guy, but I think his signing is the rare recognition of an athlete who understands that he is never going to be as good at 40 as he was at 25-30. By 2015 Brady will still be a very good QB, but its unlikely he'll be a $20/MM/yr QB What he's done is NOT take a hometown discount, but be willing to allow the Pats to pay him true value at the end his career, rather than overpay him for past services like we see so many athletes get at the end of their careers.

Well done Tom. You give me hope....and gave me another reason to confirm that he's is easily belongs among the pantheon of the very best of Boston's best athletes

Actually I don't think you get it. I think this is about a guy who wants to win and who sees that flat cap and all it's the QB's who are continuing to kill their teams with deals that make no sense in relation to the rest of their teamates and persistently cause teams to make tough decisions that ultimately hurt their ability to be consistently competitive. Eli or Rodgers or Brees or Manning have an off year and you're screwed because you invested so much in them you come up short on veteran talent to pull you through the tough times. You could throw a couple of out of touch WR's into that category, too, although their deals don't translate or trickle down quite the way franchise QB deals seem to. Paying any one player on your roster more than 12-15% of cap means you will come up short elsewhere.

Brady's new money average is not oddly just half a million to a million more than the second, third and fourth highest paid players on the team currently average, $8-8.5M.

Brady didn't want to be an financial albatross holding a team hostage annually on his personal back 9. The guy they'd still like to have if he's playing well but almost can't wait to get past because his cap hit is making it nearly impossible for the team to field a truly competitive roster. Teams today have an increasingly short window in which to field an elite QB surrounded by talent if they think they have even identified one. Because by the second contract you're in a situation like the Ravens find themselves in with a QB with whom they've won but whom they've never been entirely enamored with yet now he's demanding his $20M deal.

Flacco's agent is likely being treated for agina tonight. Rodgers agent is likely sputtering and planning to wait for the dust to settle before grappling with his players extension (although he's likely feeling a tad vindicated about his other client, Welker, if the rumors are correct). Tom Condon is probably out searching for a hit man...

Tom Condon is probably out searching for a hit man...

oddly, that's not something I would bet against either.

Idzik MUST do something drastic with that Sanchez millstone around the Rats neck...once again, the Patriot braintrust makes a checkmate move.

I appreciate that Brady signed such a cheap extension but if he is so committed to helping the team and winning another ring why doesn't he sign for veteran minimum? He already has made more money than he and his family could possibly spend for several lifetimes and his wife is worth 2x that amount. The Brady family could live lavishly off perpetuities from interest, investments, and endorsements and still end up with more money at the end of the year.

We already know Brady is insanely competitive and that winning more rings is incredibly important to him and his place in history. Therefore, why doesn't he play for peanuts and free up even more cap space to improve his chances? He will have the rest of his life to amass more wealth by investing the money he already has but he will only be able to compete for a ring for roughly 4-5 more years. I would think that winning another superbowl or two and going down as the greatest and most successful quarterback in history would be worth more than any amount of money considering the fortune he already has.

I'm not bitter or mad at Brady, I'm just legitimately curious why he plays for anything over vet minimum when it would be almost guaranteed that he wins at least one more superbowl if we could put his salary towards paying a big name FA and still get all the other FAs we need.

Unlike others, I don't think you're a troll. If you are, you're the dumbest, most transparent troll ever to post on this board...which would be saying something!

To take your question seriously, I think money means different things to different people.

I know some silly rich New Yorkers who still squeeze the finish off of every dime that comes their way. To them, money is how you keep score in the game of life.

At the other end of the spectrum, I know academic folks in Manhattan who are very happy with their books and smallish apartments and who wouldn't want the hassles that come with a lot of money.

So, yeah, it makes sense to me that a guy could take a view on life that says, "My wife and I are already filthy rich and I don't have to prove anything to anybody by showing I can put the screws to an NFL owner in a contract negotiation. On the other hand, I'm not going to put my body and mind on the line for peanuts, so I want ten mil a year, give or take, to make me feel good about getting up and going to work every day. That's enough to make me feel good and still gives the team a chance to add some quality players."

I also don't think we can underestimate the importance that Bundchen's wealth plays in this as well. We can all speculate, but none of us can know (including maybe Brady himself) whether he'd feel differently about this if his wife wasn't also making well into eight figures every year herself.

Even I like this........

damn, that's cheap and amazingly low risk....he can quit whenever.....and makes a guy like mallett extendable so the next guy is ready when brady hangs 'em up.

golf clap

There is just no quit in you. Mallett is now dead man walking here. They will flip him if they can, if not this season then next. He isn't signing another backup deal knowing Brady is here for 5 more years GUARANTEED. And he could be here for a couple of more since tagging him in 2018 would be affordable if he's still interested...

Brady comments on the deal...

Via ESPN Boston..

gyj_bor_rou.jpg

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4740278/bradys-facebook-post-just-win

Hopefully this means that the Patriots have decided to go for it for the remainder of Brady's career.

Giselle's net worth is 250 million....

as far as the preposterous "why wouldn't Brady take the minimum?" statement...uh...why doesn't Bill Gates take a minimum from Microsoft?...why doesn't the President take minimum wage as a federal employee?

it's a classic red herring...a logical fallacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back