PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Owners willing to strip Goodell's disciplinary powers in next CBA...

That would be awesome.

I'm already tired of all the injuries.

This is a bad trade. I'd rather have an idiot with disciplinary powers than 17 games.

Plus, there's nothing there that says he can't discipline teams. He can still do that, and he's done it to the Patriots twice.

I'm already tired of all the injuries.

This is a bad trade. I'd rather have an idiot with disciplinary powers than 17 games.

Plus, there's nothing there that says he can't discipline teams. He can still do that, and he's done it to the Patriots twice.
Agree. Awful trade.

How about increasing revenue sharing, pension $ and expanding post career health coverage instead.

Agree. Awful trade.

How about increasing revenue sharing, pension $ and expanding post career health coverage instead.

The 17 game schedule is most likely non-negotiable for the owners. If they are willing to cut the number of preseason games down to 3, it might be a good swap.

But I want the officiating fixed. There's a report posted by @QuantumMechanic that the league is excoriating referees for non-calls, so the refs are calling everything. They should only be calling things if it affects the play and is obvious.

Agree. Awful trade.

I'm curious just how much post career health coverage is costing the NFL already.
Same with pension $.

Didn't the players get a huge boost in revenue sharing in the last CBA? With more of the "protected" monies being divied out

Not sure what they get for royalties from gear/ games with their names, then an increase there might be deserved. +

The 17 game schedule is most likely non-negotiable for the owners. If they are willing to cut the number of preseason games down to 3, it might be a good swap.

The problem is that the 17th game is supposedly going to be a MANDATORY international game.

Also, they won't be eliminating Thursday night games. Instead, a Team's BYE week becomes the 10 days leading up to that game and the days after that game..

They should decline.

I'm curious just how much post career health coverage is costing the NFL already.
Same with pension $.

Didn't the players get a huge boost in revenue sharing in the last CBA? With more of the "protected" monies being divied out

Not sure what they get for royalties from gear/ games with their names, then an increase there might be deserved. +
Everything I've read states players receive coverage for 5 years after they've retired.

It's better than a normal job/retirement but if they are going after concessions, why not go for that one?

Overview of NFL Player Benefits - NFL Play Smart, Play Safe

A neutral arbitrator like Troy Vincent?

Just get a new commissioner who has some decency, intelligence, and the word Goodell misuses frequently "integrity". And keep the 16 game schedule. They make enough money already.

A neutral arbitrator like Troy Vincent?

Give it to a retired federal judge...someone with the brain capacity that Goondell doesnt possess.

But I want the officiating fixed. There's a report posted by @QuantumMechanic that the league is excoriating referees for non-calls, so the refs are calling everything. They should only be calling things if it affects the play and is obvious.
I think a fair compromise would be to remove 2 preseason games for adding 1 regular season. Better would be no preseason and 18 games. Personally I don’t like changing the number of games for sake of statistical comparison, milestones and records.

As far as officiating i think we are on a slippery slope. Unintended consequences have a way of screwing everything up.

replay started as a way to catch egregious problems on a very limited basis.
Of course that led to complaint about everything needing to be correct. that led to the automatic score and turnover review.
that led to officials eeriness on the side of letting review bail them out. (A close td/no td is called td because it has to be reviewed). That leads to the “incontrovertible” standard having replay not bail them out.
Now people complain about penalty calls and they become reviewable.
We have reached the point where it is expected that officials are perfect. That they see everything and call everything perfectly correctly even when many plays are far from unanimous among experts interpreting the rules.
Players make mistakes on almost every play. But we’ve gotten to the point now where refs are supposed to be infallible. I think it’s completely unrealistic.

The problem is that the 17th game is supposedly going to be a MANDATORY international game.

Also, they won't be eliminating Thursday night games. Instead, a Team's BYE week becomes the 10 days leading up to that game and the days after that game..
Please explain the TNF bye week concept, it doesn't make sense. I would think they need to add another Bye.

bye before Thursday night game isn’t bad, except for weeks 2 and 3 games and later December games. Week 2 would mean the teams don’t play week 1, and then 16 weeks of games. Week 3 isn’t much better. December games would also suck, going deep into the season without a bye.

bye before Thursday night game isn’t bad, except for weeks 2 and 3 games and later December games. Week 2 would mean the teams don’t play week 1, and then 16 weeks of games. Week 3 isn’t much better. December games would also suck, going deep into the season without a bye.
So Bye is before TNF. Does TNF become the international game then?

I would reduce preseason to 2 games ...
Add a mandatory mini- camp week.
Take away TNF ...
Take discipline away from Goodell.
Make the season 17 games .........

Please explain the TNF bye week concept, it doesn't make sense. I would think they need to add another Bye.

It means that they wouldn't have a game on the Sunday Before a Thursday night game. Also, like, now, they wouldn't play the Sunday immediately following a Thursday game.

It means that they wouldn't have a game on the Sunday Before a Thursday night game. Also, like, now, they wouldn't play the Sunday immediately following a Thursday game.
Do you think the TNF would be the international game under that scenario?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back