PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The totalitarian regime of Roger Goodell

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The 8th Circuit has ruled in favor of the NFL, against Adrian Peterson.

“The power of the NFL commissioner strengthens as 8th Circuit determines ‘fundamental fairness’ is subordinate to collective bargaining,” tweeted legal expert Warren K. Zola on the decision. So not only does Goodell have virtually unlimited power in his disciplinary actions, he doesn’t even need to be fair about it anymore. With anything.

The ruling hurt the NFLPA in their fight to bring Tom Brady’s case to the Supreme Court, due to the circuits collectively ruling in favor of the NFL with no split decision, but did little to affect Peterson’s status beyond money. The worst part, of course, is the ominous precedent now set with Goodell’s iron fist becoming more powerful than ever.

It is just inconceivable to me. When the NFLPA negotiated the CBA with the NFL, and agreed that the commissioner had certain authority, it was understood that the commissioner would act as someone at least kinda sorta remotely interested in fairness. In a fair and reasonable process. Tagliabue was fair and reasonable. It's kind of like our Constitution granting the US Supreme Court the power to rule on the constitutionality of laws; the assumption is that they will seek what is fair and right according to the Constitution. The system was never intended for SCOTUS to decide cases, say, by throwing darts at a board, or by simply liking the color of one lawyer's tie over the other. There are certain assumptions built into any system, including the court system that these judges rule in.

The assumption of the NFL CBA is that the commissioner will be fair and unbiased. The very notion that the NFLPA was agreeing that a commissioner could literally make stuff up, be the active prosecutor, and then rule on the case, and then serve as the appeals court while denying the "defendant" (i.e., the player) equal access to all the information (not allowing them to talk to Pash, for example) was something that the NFLPA never even considered could be possible. Such a notion was so far beyond the pale that it was inconceivable that someone in charge of the sport would act that way. Moreover, it was assumed that, because there are rules and actual penalties laid out in the rules for infractions (i.e., tampering with a football comes with a $25,000 fine, excessive vulgar language comes with a certain fine, etc.), that a commissioner would be obligated to assess penalties as they are laid out in the rules.

It was never assumed by any party that the CBA allows the commissioner to suspend someone four games for *possibly* violating a rule that calls for a $25,000 fine. And let's remember that the NFL argued before the court that they were actually planning on issuing an EIGHT game suspension until they decided to go with the four game penalty. So seriously, for having a "general awareness" of something that *may* have happened, a penalty which the NFL rules themselves call for a $25,000 fine, Goodell was planning on issuing an EIGHT GAME SUSPENSION for Brady.

And according to the two recent cases (Brady and Peterson), Goodell could indeed have done just that.

Think about that, ladies and gentlemen.

Roger Goodell, thanks to two US Courts of Appeal, literally can issue ANY penalty he wants, for ANY infraction - real or imagined. And the courts just said he has the right to do that.

Only way to change the power is to change the CBA.

But seeing how big business rules to roost in this country it would not surprise me if a federal judge invalidated it.

In theory this might help the players unify and stand up for themselves in the next CBA and not view the Brady situation as a one off.

However, the NFL has a huge upper hand because the owners are mostly independently wealthy and losing a season doesn't change that. For the players, a season is a huge part of their career - 25% or more in some cases so it's tougher for them not to cave.

I'd be in my glory if the players struck prior to opening day, just for the **** of it!

It was never assumed by any party that the CBA allows the commissioner to suspend someone four games for *possibly* violating a rule that calls for a $25,000 fine. And let's remember that the NFL argued before the court that they were actually planning on issuing an EIGHT game suspension until they decided to go with the four game penalty. So seriously, for having a "general awareness" of something that *may* have happened, a penalty which the NFL rules themselves call for a $25,000 fine, Goodell was planning on issuing an EIGHT GAME SUSPENSION for Brady.

Let's be clear here. The rule says that the punishment can be no less than a $25,000 fine. Which means the punishment can be more than that and up to and including suspension.

So Arbitrators don't have to be fundamentally fair. Looks like every big business is going to want a CBA for their employees. That way they don't have to be fair. Want the job, you have to join a union and sign off on the CBA.

Imagine if that took effect.

Suppose you were walking outside in a park and saw a sign that said, "No littering. Anyone caught littering will be subject to discipline, including but not limited to, a fine of $100."

Now, if you saw that, and you littered, and you got arrested, what would you expect the fine to be? $100. If you REALLY littered a ton, maybe $500. It has to be in the BALLPARK of what the fine schedule calls for.

Do you think any judge would allow a person being caught littering around that sign to be put in prison for a year for that offense? No chance in hell. That's because fundamental fairness has to be assumed. So the fine/penalty schedule in the NFL exists to tell people how serious these offenses are. Look at the NFL fine schedule.

Okay, in your example, you're talking about a judge who is beholden (more often than not) to legal precedent which has a component for fundamental fairness. If the cops fined you a million dollars for not putting a soda bottle in a trashcan, your lawyer and most good judges would throw out that fine out because it's excessive and not in line with the severity of the crime.

Now, due to the Brady and Peterson cases, it's confirmed that Goodell can do whatever he wants. If the rule calls for a "discipline, including but not limited to, a fine" then that means everything is on the table including suspensions. This also means that the players have no legal recourse now since the courts are going to refer to the Brady and Peterson cases. Fundamental fairness doesn't apply anymore.

So Arbitrators don't have to be fundamentally fair. Looks like every big business is going to want a CBA for their employees. That way they don't have to be fair. Want the job, you have to join a union and sign off on the CBA.

I do wonder if this ruling INCREASES the chances that SCOTUS will take up the Brady case. I mean, if you're someone like Ginsburg, doesn't this 8th court decision - and especially the wording about fundamental fairness - really slap you across the face and make you go, whoa whoa whoa there, hang on a minute?

Okay, in your example, you're talking about a judge who is beholden (more often than not) to legal precedent which has a component for fundamental fairness. If the cops fined you a million dollars for not putting a soda bottle in a trashcan, your lawyer and most good judges would throw that fine out because it's excessive and not in line with the severity of the crime.

Now, due to the Brady and Peterson cases, it's confirmed that Goodell can do whatever he wants. If the rule calls for a "discipline, including but not limited to, a fine" then that means everything is on the table including suspensions. This also means that the players have no legal recourse now since the courts are going to refer to the Brady and Peterson cases. Fundamental fairness doesn't apply anymore.

That's exactly my point. Fundamental fairness is irrelevant, and Goodell can do anything he wants.

What happens if the NFL "catches" the Patriots playing with underinflated footballs this coming season? We KNOW they'll play with balls that are under 12.5psi, because, you know, physics hasn't gone away just because we're not talking about it much anymore. If it's a 19 degree day in Foxboro, they'll be playing with footballs around 10 psi. If they simply measure the Patriots' footballs on such a day and not the other team's footballs (why should they? The Pats are the "known cheaters"), and find them under 12.5, as they obviously will, what's to stop Goodell from suspending Brady for a full season and docking the Pats two more first round picks?

Fundamental fairness is irrelevant. Completely irrelevant.

Only way to change the power is to change the CBA.

But seeing how big business rules to roost in this country it would not surprise me if a federal judge invalidated it.

Sad but true.

That's exactly my point. Fundamental fairness is irrelevant, and Goodell can do anything he wants.

What happens if the NFL "catches" the Patriots playing with underinflated footballs this coming season? We KNOW they'll play with balls that are under 12.5psi, because, you know, physics hasn't gone away just because we're not talking about it much anymore. If it's a 19 degree day in Foxboro, they'll be playing with footballs around 10 psi. If they simply measure the Patriots' footballs on such a day and not the other team's footballs (why should they? The Pats are the "known cheaters"), and find them under 12.5, as they obviously will, what's to stop Goodell from suspending Brady for a full season and docking the Pats two more first round picks?

Fundamental fairness is irrelevant. Completely irrelevant.

Except they have chain of custody and pressure recording rules now that will make a Deflategate 2 extremely unlikely. If they whack the Pats with another scandal, it will be for something else.

It is not as simple as "Sign a CBA and you can do anything you want." It's "Get them to sign a s— CBA that gives someone nearly unlimited power."

Except they have chain of custody and pressure recording rules now that will make a Deflategate 2 extremely unlikely. If they whack the Pats with another scandal, it will be for something else.

No they don't. You've got to be kidding me.

All they have to do is properly record the pressure of the Patriots' footballs before the game (12.5, say). Then at halftime, measure and record the Patriots' footballs again (and on such a cold day, it'll be around 10.0). Then the commissioner can point out to this carefully gleaned data and suspend Brady again. It won't matter that they didn't measure the other team's footballs at halftime, or if they did, who cares? It's the Patriots that are the cheaters.

And fundamental fairness is IRRELEVANT.

It is not as simple as "Sign a CBA and you can do anything you want." It's "Get them to sign a s— CBA that gives someone nearly unlimited power."

Right...it's not a great CBA but no Commish has abused the Article 46 powers like Goodell has. Article 46 is supposed to be a catch-all for actual offenses not explicitly covered by other rules.

No they don't. You've got to be kidding me.

They do. Because who's writing down these measurements and signing off on chain custody paperwork? The League? No. It's the refs. Imagine if the League doctored those documents and forged signatures. I'm sure the ref's CBA does allow for fundamental fairness.

Actually, the NFL and RG owe a great debt of gratitude to the players and the union for agreeing to this CBA. Herr Goodell is just enforcing the power that was granted him by the clueless. I am 100% in for the players but this last CBA was just stupid, criminally stupid on their part. I see a large problem wresting that power from the NFL dictator but you never know. Maybe the players grow a pair in the meantime. I'm not hopeful..

Actually, the NFL and RG owe a great debt of gratitude to the players and the union for agreeing to this CBA. Herr Goodell is just enforcing the power that was granted him by the clueless. I am 100% in for the players but this last CBA was just stupid, criminally stupid on their part. I see a large problem wresting that power from the NFL dictator but you never know. Maybe the players grow a pair in the meantime. I'm not hopeful..

Again, Article 46 has been part of the CBA for a long long time. It's just never been abused this way before. It was never haggled over because they had no reason to believe the Commish would use it to arbitrarily punish players since no one had every used it that way before. Now, I will say that the NFL CBA is the worst out of the four major US sports but not because they allowed Article 46.

The 8th Circuit has ruled in favor of the NFL, against Adrian Peterson.

“The power of the NFL commissioner strengthens as 8th Circuit determines ‘fundamental fairness’ is subordinate to collective bargaining,” tweeted legal expert Warren K. Zola on the decision. So not only does Goodell have virtually unlimited power in his disciplinary actions, he doesn’t even need to be fair about it anymore. With anything."

Roger Goodell, thanks to two US Courts of Appeal, literally can issue ANY penalty he wants, for ANY infraction - real or imagined. And the courts just said he has the right to do that.

Your post is so stunning I don't even know what rating to give it. We can't shoot the messenger.

Did we really just have the legal system say that fundamental fairness is not required by an arbitrator?

Apart from the wide-ranging effects this ruling will have on labor disputes anywhere, in the narrow realm of the NFL* no fan anywhere should be happy about this, unless you root for a team that Goodell has shown favorable treatment to in the past, but even then what true fan wants to see his team win with a stacked deck?

One * may not be enough going forward for the NFL*.

True fans should be in mourning over this.

Last edited:
They do. Because who's writing down these measurements and signing off on chain custody paperwork? The League? No. It's the refs. Imagine if the League doctored those documents and forged signatures. I'm sure the ref's CBA does allow for fundamental fairness.

you mean that chain of custody that left footballs at the hotel on game day here in foxboro while everyone was blaming the patriots for being dirty cheaters?

its nto just footballs, quarter 1 of the first game last year had the ****ing steelers complaining that the headsets were ****ing bugged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3