PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Remaining FA Wide Receivers - or Do We Wait for Draft?

A lot of fans here are way behind when it comes to market prices for players. Some of you act like it's your own money. Times have changed. WR is the second most important position in the game. You have to spend if you want good players. No one is coming to NE on a "team friendly deal."
I'm leaning heavily towards MH Jr @ 3 or another WR after a Trade down. The Position is just too important and all you need is one very good one to make the rest work. I am cool with a Second tier QB either Penix Jr or Bo Nix.

A lot of fans here are way behind when it comes to market prices for players. Some of you act like it's your own money. Times have changed. WR is the second most important position in the game. You have to spend if you want good players. No one is coming to NE on a "team friendly deal."
??

I said I'd give $30m to a top tier WR

I didn't say I wouldn't.

I'm saying don't give crazy money to guys that aren't at that level

As far as being BEHIND the market, I don't think anyone is making $30m per. I'm actually ahead of the market

I'd try hard to sign Smith along with defensive free agents, and spend every draft pick on offense the next two years.

Hope the right FA WR comes long (like even Hopkins last year) and mix it with well drafted players.

I'm leaning heavily towards MH Jr @ 3 or another WR after a Trade down. The Position is just too important and all you need is one very good one to make the rest work. I am cool with a Second tier QB either Penix Jr or Bo Nix.
Are you cool having one of those guys going up against Mahomes/Allen/Herbert/Stroud/Burrow/Jackson etc in a critical playoff game?

Brady & Mahomes proved receivers aren't too important. Even Peyton Manning did that to an extent. MHJ isn't essential to winning a SB. An elite QB is.

Are you cool having one of those guys going up against Mahomes/Allen/Herbert/Stroud/Burrow/Jackson etc in a critical playoff game?

Brady & Mahomes proved receivers aren't too important. Even Peyton Manning did that to an extent. MHJ isn't essential to winning a SB. An elite QB is.
Mahomes is the King Burrow is Brady II Stroud we''ll see but Herbert - Allen and Jackson haven't won sh!t yet I like our chances aganst them.

Day 3 what’s your thoughts on Luke McCaffrey? His athletic scores were among the best at the combine. Went the jakobi meyers route starting out at qb before moving to wr. Reminds me more of his dad than his brother.
What an interesting story. Started out as WR for 1st 2 years in HS as his bro was the QB. Split starter duties 3rd year until taking over fully senior year. QB for 3yrs in college then back to WR for 2 years.

If I were doing a realistic double dip, looking at those players with both stellar 20Shut and 3cone times, I'd pick any 2 of the Shake and Bake trio of Odunze, Pearsall and McCaffrey.

Frankly, after 2019 (and so far 2022), I just want someone who's good to great. Don't care who it is.

As we saw with Kelce's missing time, Mahomes needs a great receiver. Just happens to be designated as a TE.

Mike Williams can't stay on the field, be another giant waste of money.

As we saw with Kelce's missing time, Mahomes needs a great receiver. Just happens to be designated as a TE.
Year Two Rashee Rice is going to be Great.

Having been outbid on Ridley ("whiffed" is not the right term here given the overpay for a guy that has had reliability issues), we have to look at who is left in FA or look to the draft.

Some Tyler Boyd rumors surfaced today.

Or we are on to the draft, likely in Round 2:

Bleacher Report:

Patriots Rumors: WR to Be Addressed in 2024 NFL Draft After Missing on Calvin Ridley​

"The more likely scenario would involve the Patriots selecting a quarterback at No. 3 overall and then using their second-round pick on a wideout. Florida State's Keon Coleman and Texas wideouts AD Mitchell and Xavier Worthy could wind up as options depending on how the draft shakes out.
None of those options are considered as high-upside as Harrison, Rome Odunze, Malik Nabers or Brian Thomas Jr., but the 2025 draft is considered a far weaker class at the quarterback spot than this year. The Patriots could follow a similar blueprint to the Cincinnati Bengals, who took Joe Burrow with the top pick in the 2020 draft, landed Tee Higgins at the top of Round 2 and then selected Ja'Marr Chase in the first round of the 2021 draft."

(link not showing up)

i say look to the draft at this point and maybe when team make cuts to get under roster size later in the year. I would keep exploring OLine help and also in the draft obviously. I dont like any of the remaining WRs. they are either often injured or duplicates of what we already have

Mahomes is the King Burrow is Brady II Stroud we''ll see but Herbert - Allen and Jackson haven't won sh!t yet I like our chances aganst them.
Do you really think the Patriots would draft MHJ at 3 and take Nix/Penix later on?

What are the odds of it actually happening?

Mike Williams can't stay on the field, be another giant waste of money.

I think that's a little harsh.

He missed most of last season, but prior to that he's missed about 5 or 6 games total since his rookie season in 2017.

The situation isn’t as dire as we might think, especially for a rebuild. There is a real chance that Douglas develops into a really productive slot receiver. At that stage we just need to hit on a receiver in the draft and suddenly things look a lot better.

Do you really think the Patriots would draft MHJ at 3 and take Nix/Penix later on?

What are the odds of it actually happening?
I think it's a good chance QB's always drop in the NFL Draft for some strange reason or another I think Nix and Penix Jr could slip some this year. I am all for Trading #3 or taking MH Jr a Trade down could get us Rome - Nabers -Thomas and Legette all legit Talents.

Thank you Bacon the known IBBWT Homers will disagree. :rolleyes:
I'm a IBBWT homer and I agree.

Doesn't mean I don't think 92 with 50 guaranteed for Ridley is batshit and not worth it.

In this reality, the way to go might be to draft WRs, develop them, then move them for picks if you think they going too high above market value.

I'm a IBBWT homer and I agree.

Doesn't mean I don't think 92 with 50 guaranteed for Ridley is batshit and not worth it.

In this reality, the way to go might be to draft WRs, develop them, then move them for picks if you think they going too high above market value.
50 I see what Wolf is trying to do it was a good try If the GOAT GM did his job we wouldn't be in this predicament @ WR water under the Bridge now. I have full confidence Wolf will fix this and not Screw up the Top of our Drafts like BB I am sure you are aware of that.

Last edited:

There're a Ton of #3 on that list which we already have: only a Brady or Mahomes can make them work. Who is the Brady or Mahomes from the current QB list?? Asking for a friend.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back