PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Remaining FA Wide Receivers - or Do We Wait for Draft?

If they don't get anyone from that list they will have to double dip at the draft , 2nd and 4th round pick most likely and pray for the lord to work out.

I'm ok with missing out on Ridley. For the money he got and even the rumored 22M per year we offered that salary is way to high. His play will not live up to that salary. We need guys who will be here long term to build around. The roster is bad. I'm expecting this to be a long 3 to 5 yr rebuild. I'd much rather spend that 20M plus on a younger pass catcher.

Team that historically has issues drafting WR help is going to rely on the draft to get WR help. This probably won't end well. The last top WR they drafted was Terry Glenn, who was a first rounder. I'm not sure this franchise has ever drafted a #1 outside of the 1st round. Before that I think it was Fryar in 1984. Right?

This is a new team. You cannot judge this team based on what they did under Belichick. There were reports that the scouting staff in 2019 were pushing AJ Brown and Deebo Samuel and Belichick overruled them for Harry. Belichick is also the guy who told Dimitrov that he shouldn't trade up to get Julio Jones. It is Belichick who didn't value paying for WRs. Belichick also put too much emphasis on a receiver's blocking skills.

If the Pats did really offer Ridley $22 million a year, it shows that this scouting staff will be approaching WRs very differently than Belichick did. I question whether Belichick would give Justin Jefferson $22 million a year, never mind Calvin Ridley. Belichick just never valued investing in WRs.

This team could be just as bad or worse at getting WRs in the draft as they were under Belichick. But it won't be because of what happened during the quarter century under Belichick. It certainly won't be because of anything that happened prior to the Belichick era.

The team needs to get tougher at the WR position. And I believe the coaching there— no disrespect intended to Troy Brown— could be improved.

A guy Buffalo just brought in from Atlanta for minimal money, Mack Hollins, is the kind of player who could have helped with toughness.

I think the best route is probably through trade. The free agents left are just not all that good or are too old and will be toast before the Pats are contenders again.

I am torn about trading for a Higgins or Aiyuk or even Justin Jefferson if the Vikes decide to blow it all up. The Pats have far too many needs to be trading away a first rounder or more for a guy going into his second contract. They need difference making WR, but not at the sacrifice of losing potentially multiple of picks to acquire one and then pay them a top of the market salary.

There have been rumors the Pats might be interested in trading for Courtland Sutton. That might be an option. He did have 1100 yards one season and his numbers may be depressed by the crappy offense he has been in the last three or four years. He would come cheaper too. Still not the difference maker you would be looking for, but maybe a good guy that can be paired with a highly drafted rookie.

Team that historically has issues drafting WR help is going to rely on the draft to get WR help. This probably won't end well. The last top WR they drafted was Terry Glenn, who was a first rounder. I'm not sure this franchise has ever drafted a #1 outside of the 1st round. Before that I think it was Fryar in 1984. Right?
Well BB is GOAT of HC's but is also the GOAT GM the latter is not a compliment. :rolleyes:

There were 4 potential #1 receivers:
Ridley solely went for the most money as an overpay.
Higgins, Pittman, Evans: Tagged or wanted to stay, never a real option.

Draft or trade are the only real options, but the trade prices seem high for receivers.
Higgins is not a high-end Chase, Hill type WR. Wants to be paid like one though and you need to give up the 34th pick which is a great pick.

-They should sign Tyron Smith for short term tackle (2-3 years). He still rates elite if he can be healthy.
-Draft Receivers in round 2 and 3 since the draft has starter talent into round 3
-Focus on young tackle in first round 2025.

-If Marquise Brown is reasonable money, I'd at least look at him.
-Mike Williams is an option for reasonable money, been elite vs man coverage, just don't know if he will be same after acl..

Last edited:
Got Pop last year so that was a step in the right direction. Missing out on Ridley was unfortunate but going after the Ridley’s on the world and getting rid of the Parker’s gives me hope that they know what they’re looking for come draft time.
I'm not saying they can't find guys. Pop is solid in the 3 or 4 role but historically even before Belichick this is an organization that has never found or invested in that guy in the draft other than Glenn and Fryar. See what happens but my expectations are extremely low that they'll find a top end WR unless they take Harrison Jr at 3.

Please no Beckham ...We have enough problems without adding the Kardashian curse .

-They should sign Tyron Smith for short term tackle (2-3 years). He still rates elite if he can be healthy.

That's certainly one way to go. We need a LT even more than a WR, so if we don't sign one now, then presumably we need to take one at 34 - not going to find a good OT in the third round. That would mean waiting until R3 for the WR.

That is a pretty rag tag group. If Brown or Williams wanted to come cheap on one year prove it deals (not sure they would try to prove it here though) I wouldn't be mad but at this point I would rather find a guy in the draft. This is supposed to be a deep receiver draft so hopefully the new regime can figure it out.

Sad Jim Carrey GIF
Hey, @PatsFan2 , someone must have hacked your profile. :)

Your tune will change if they signed Chark and Boyd. Or Williams and Reynolds, no matter what the great Troy Aikman says about drops.

1) We have definitely been looking for a #1 WR.

2) I suspect that team is fine with Ju-ju playing this year. The cost is zero and presumably he is healthier.

3) So, we start with Ju-ju, Douglas and Bourne. One would hope that anyone we bring would need to be an upgrade. Otherwise, we should simply draft a couple.

4) We do have the rest from last year: Reagor, Thornton and Boutte. A good coach and a solid QB may be able to get something out of one of these.

Having been outbid on Ridley ("whiffed" is not the right term here given the overpay for a guy that has had reliability issues), we have to look at who is left in FA or look to the draft.

Some Tyler Boyd rumors surfaced today.

Or we are on to the draft, likely in Round 2:

Bleacher Report:

Patriots Rumors: WR to Be Addressed in 2024 NFL Draft After Missing on Calvin Ridley​

"The more likely scenario would involve the Patriots selecting a quarterback at No. 3 overall and then using their second-round pick on a wideout. Florida State's Keon Coleman and Texas wideouts AD Mitchell and Xavier Worthy could wind up as options depending on how the draft shakes out.
None of those options are considered as high-upside as Harrison, Rome Odunze, Malik Nabers or Brian Thomas Jr., but the 2025 draft is considered a far weaker class at the quarterback spot than this year. The Patriots could follow a similar blueprint to the Cincinnati Bengals, who took Joe Burrow with the top pick in the 2020 draft, landed Tee Higgins at the top of Round 2 and then selected Ja'Marr Chase in the first round of the 2021 draft."

(link not showing up)

None of the available FAs move the needle, more of the same. I'd pass unless the Pats can get one on the cheap.

For low money sure add one of these guys.
But there's no point in giving $20m + to second tier guys like Ridley and Hollywood Brown. I'd give $30m to Jefferson before I ever gave $20m to any of the WRs in this year's FA.
Just keep drafting WRs, simple.

Draft and Free Agent - the answer should be both, not either/or.

Off the top of my head I'm leaning towards signing a guy like Marquise Brown, signing an under the radar type like State mentioned above, and then drafting two WRs.

For low money sure add one of these guys.
But there's no point in giving $20m + to second tier guys like Ridley and Hollywood Brown. I'd give $30m to Jefferson before I ever gave $20m to any of the WRs in this year's FA.
Just keep drafting WRs, simple.
A lot of fans here are way behind when it comes to market prices for players. Some of you act like it's your own money. Times have changed. WR is the second most important position in the game. You have to spend if you want good players. No one is coming to NE on a "team friendly deal."

Taking a shot in the draft is fine but we cannot go into the season with Bourne as our best WR and hope the rookie WR(s) hit(s) the ground running.

Nothing in that list they should pay a lot to get.

Draft and let the kids play.

Bourne and Juju (if he’s still here), draft picks and the four kids from last year can fight it out.
That has to be the plan now.

A lot of fans here are way behind when it comes to market prices for players. Some of you act like it's your own money. Times have changed. WR is the second most important position in the game. You have to spend if you want good players. No one is coming to NE on a "team friendly deal."
Thank you Bacon the known IBBWT Homers will disagree. :rolleyes:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back