PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REISS: Ranking Tom Brady's Top 10 Playoff Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
SB49 needs to be top 3 and probably top-2. Legion of Boom...the legacy at stake in that one. Look at what that Seahawks team did to Manning and Rodgers.

2004-05 AFCCG @ 16-1 Pittsburgh needs to be top 5. The 2016-17 AFCCG vs Pittsburgh is way too high. That game was a mismatch and at home.

Like the list overall besides those.

Last edited:
The '16 AFCCG vs. Pittsburgh is indeed too high. Pittsburgh played a cover zero as in "we're covering zero people" that any competent QB would have chewed up that day.

SB39 might be a bit high. The coaching staff indeed prepared well, putting in some key screens to slow the always-blitzing Eagles and took advantage of the slot mismatch of Branch on Ware before the Eagles adjusted.

I think SB52 is too low, but am glad that if a loss was to make the list, the right one was chosen. Brady spent the whole 2nd half cleaning up the mess his D left behind and getting them in front with 9+ minutes left was a huge achievement in it's own right. Still the most regulation points the Pats have put up in any SB, all thanks to Brady.

Regards,
Chris

So many moments. I think the performance in the first SB is underrated. Numbers be damned. Young nobody comes from nowhere to shock the world.

I also very much enjoyed the beatdown of PITT in the 2003 playoffs (JAN 2004). Long pass to Deion.

The playoff game with the Titans in Jan 04 should be somewhere on the list. It was only a score of 17/14 however it was one of the coldest games ever and every time NE scored the Titans also scored. AV field goal was the difference, I remember watching the game and enjoyed it immensely even though there were heart stopping moments every time the Titans evened the score .

So many moments. I think the performance in the first SB is underrated. Numbers be damned. Young nobody comes from nowhere to shock the world.
What goes unappreciated in SB36 is that while the long scoring drives were non-existent for 58:30, the O did the next best thing in constantly flipping field position, forcing the Rams to always start deep in their own end. That complemented the D so well, giving them the chance to create turnovers on that half of the field or force the Rams to punt just outside of FG range.

Regards,
Chris

The beat down of the Tebow Broncos was probably his most prolific game. 350+ yards passing and 6 TD's. Pats had 42 points 3 minutes into the 2nd half and seemingly could have scored 70 points if they needed to.

Late game performance against Raiders in the snow was the start of him coming up huge when the stakes were the highest.

Quietly dominant against the Jags in 2007 when he went 26-28 and 3 TD's in a game that was tied at the half.

For me it's (year in all cases is season not event date)

1. Seattle SB 49
2. Atlanta SB51
3. Pitt AFFCG in 04
4. Philly SB 53
5. Carolina SB 38
6. Baltimore 2014 Divisional Round
7. Jacksonville 2007 Divisional Round (26/28, 3TDs)
8. Philly SB 39
9. Pitt AFCCG in 2016
10. Denver 2011 divisional round.

Tom gets a Top 10 list of playoff performances ... Every other QB would be happy with having 10 to list.

Going with wins only and prefer grinder games over blowouts.

1a. 2016/17 SB51 Atlanta
1b. 2014/15 SB49 Seattle
3. 2004/05 AFCCG @ Pittsburgh
4. 2001 AFCDG vs Oakland
5. 2018 AFCCG @ Kansas City
6. 20014/15 AFCDG vs Baltimore
7. 2001/02 SB 36 Rams
8. 2016/17 AFCCG vs Jacksonville
9. 2003/04 SB 38 Carolina
10. 2004/05 SB 39 Philadelphia

Pats against the unstoppable Colts in 03 and 04

SB 51 is the greatest playoff performance of all time

I re-watch the 4th quarter of the Chiefs game quite a bit so it currently sits as my all-time favorite. I think it truly epitomizes everything that Brady is all about. He may not always have the pretty stat line and the game may not go as planned but when the chips are down and a score is absolutely needed he rarely disappoints. In frigid conditions and basically down to Edelman and a banged up Gronk all Brady does is lead 3 straight must have TD drives in enemy territory to bring the Pats back. And he does all this while some nutcase is trying to shine a laser in his eyes. 99% of NFL football fans were resigned to the fact Brady would lead the Pats to a score when they won the toss in OT. No other QB in NFL history garners that level of confidence (or resignation) than Tom %@#^ Brady.

How about the top 5 not so best but good enough?

Snow Bowl. Threw a pick. Fumbl.. er Tuck Rule. Made plays when he had to for AVs FGs.

2006 Div vs SD. 3Ints. Got the crap beat out of him. Made plays at the end.

2007 AFCCG got to 18-0 on a high ankle sprain suffered vs JAX

2015 AFCCG knocked down 19 times. If it wasn't for Gost missing kicks they win

2018 SB not great but pass
to Gronk and checking into runs won it.

I am waiting for someone to mention the AFCCG @Chiefs last season.

Still waiting

giphy.gif

I love the 49 and 51 comeback performances as much as anyone, and they were great no doubt, but...

I have a hard time listing 51 as his greatest playoff performance when half the reason they were down 28-3 in the first place is because he threw two picks (one for a TD) and couldn't consistently move the ball for the first 40 minutes of the game.

Again, LOVE that game, think it's a huge testament to his level headed focus and determination. But if I'm playing golf and I slice one into the woods, then somehow escape that to save par, I don't consider that my best hole.

(disclaimer: I suck at golf so that scenario has literally never happened, just an example :D )

Gotta roll with SB 51....because I was there in the stands...that game should have been won on a TD pass to Bennett....(flagged instead)

SB 51 is the greatest playoff performance of all time
It was the greatest final 30 minutes of all time (including OT).

I'd put SB 49 just a tad higher, due to the greatness of the Seattle defense that season.

The beat down of the Tebow Broncos was probably his most prolific game. 350+ yards passing and 6 TD's. Pats had 42 points 3 minutes into the 2nd half and seemingly could have scored 70 points if they needed to.

Late game performance against Raiders in the snow was the start of him coming up huge when the stakes were the highest.

Quietly dominant against the Jags in 2007 when he went 26-28 and 3 TD's in a game that was tied at the half.

I was going to mention that Jags game.

People tend to forget it, but it's a testimony to him that the game wasn't really considered. There are so many good ones.

I love the 49 and 51 comeback performances as much as anyone, and they were great no doubt, but...

I have a hard time listing 51 as his greatest playoff performance when half the reason they were down 28-3 in the first place is because he threw two picks (one for a TD) and couldn't consistently move the ball for the first 40 minutes of the game.

Again, LOVE that game, think it's a huge testament to his level headed focus and determination. But if I'm playing golf and I slice one into the woods, then somehow escape that to save par, I don't consider that my best hole.

(disclaimer: I suck at golf so that scenario has literally never happened, just an example :D )

I believe they did consistently move the ball, but yes he threw one INT (not 2). The reason the Falcons were so gassed is that the Patriots had long drives that didn't result in points.

Look at these first half drives:

1. 5 1/2 minutes, 9 plays, 41 yards.
2. 5 plays, 53 yards, Legarette Blount fumble in field goal position.
3. 6 1/2 minutes, 12 plays, 52 yards, INT in field goal position
4. 2 1/2 minutes, 11 plays, 52 yards, FG

That's 200 yards in one half, 20 minutes of possession to Atlanta's 10.

The two turnovers hurt, but also the defense playing very badly hurt too.

Atlanta had a 71 yard drive and a 65 yard drive, both in under 2 minutes of possession. Like slicing through butter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft