PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss Picks his 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
GoWesleyan said:
Is Izzo really worth hanging onto this year?

I'd take Cobbs (as Faulk's eventual replacement) over Izzo.

Cobbs has done a hell of a lot to make the team. If his performance to date doesn't get him on the team, why didn't they just let him go weeks ago?

Again, what the hell has Cobbs done to show he's "Faulk's next replacement."

Good God, some of this hype is starting to get crazy.

Why didn't they let him go three weeks ago? Because they didn't need to! There's a chance for every player right now to make the team, but Cobbs and the rest of the UDFAs have the slimmest chance!

I can't grasp this ludicrous idea of dumping Larry Izzo, who has been your special teams ace for years, in favor of a player WHO WILL BE INACTIVE EVERY WEEK AND WILL GET A TOTAL OF 5 CARRIES THE ENTIRE SEASON! Also, Cobbs hasn't even played a regular season game in the NFL! The only promise he's shown has been on a HANDFUL OF RUNS IN THE SECOND HALVES OF A FEW PRESEASON GAMES!

Last edited:
Cobbs also was needed for Training camp practices. Finally, Cobbs may have made the team if we had a an injury at running back.

pats1 said:
Again, what the hell has Cobbs done to show he's "Faulk's next replacement."

Good God, some of this hype is starting to get crazy.

Why didn't they let him go three weeks ago? Because they didn't need to! There's a chance for every player right now to make the team, but Cobbs and the rest of the UDFAs have the slimmest chance!

Since we're thin at outside linebacker, I'd like to see Mincey have a spot, so he could possibly develop as the season progresses.

Also, I don't understand why the Pats wouldn't throw a 3rd round pick at the
Chargers and grab Donnie Edwards for the next 2-3 years to help out with our depth.

Also, since we're thin, makes you wonder why they would've cut Willie McGinest with so much cap room, unless they just felt he had lost it.

As happy as I am with the draft - I love Maroney and Jackson, I still can't believe they drafted 2 more tight ends and never went after a linebacker or a cornerback. I know they've been successful and I know they draft for value, but geez it sure seems like they leave themselves unnecessarily thin at spots that they possibly could've strenghted.

I mean doesn't a 3rd rounder for Donnie Edwards seem like a no-brainer for the pats? Doesn't it seem like that would absolutely make us feel much stronger at linebacker? Can't believe they wouldn't pursue that - every game I see, this guy is a major contributor.

Other than those points though, very pleased with the team's makeup and love the talent and depth. Feel we're a strong team with a good chance to make a run this year. Of course, I'm assuming we get Branch back soon. I think that's critical as well. without branch, I think a trade is necessary and hurts our overall confidence and comfort level. we know what deion can do.

I say while grabbing linebackers and cornerbacks over the next couple of drafts, pickup a couple more wideouts as well....

Last edited:
There may be roster moves that might not make sense at first. For example, a couple of the injured might be cut and re-signed. Jones, Guss Scott and Jones come to mind. We might even cut a veteran like Warfield or Scott and re-sign them. We might cut down to 51 to give more flexibility.

The roster will take a couple of weeks to develop, certainly at least until the start of Game 2.

"what the hell has Cobbs done to show he's "Faulk's next replacement."

He's run the ball really well, caught the ball out of the backfield and has shown good blitz pickup. I think he cuts like Faulk and is a good "change of pace" back. Don't you agree? You're right he might not get much PT this year unless we have injuries (remember last year?), but he might be worth holding on to anyhow if they think he has upside. He's young and cheap.

Do you still see Izzo as a "special teams ace"? Honestly, I have been trying to understand his reputation for a couple of seasons now. I look for him on just about every ST play, and I don't get it. I didn't see him as a huge force on ST last year. Did you? What does he do that others can't do that impresses you so much?

GJAJ15 said:
Good job, still think that it will be Cobbs over Evans...
Agreed...as Reiss even mentioned Mills will also have FB duties. I just don't see the Pats carrying 2 FB's.

hey weisuhn, are we talking about clayton?

Weishuhn said:
Hill has a good possibility of being put on IR. I think Chad Brown and Tebucky Jones could also be put on IR, only to be released later with an injury settlement, which would enable them to resign when they are healthy, if needed. These type of moves could free up a few roster spots.
i remember him, "little nellie", as a player who could've had a great career if his wife hadn't gotten sick.
perhaps a forerunner to zach thomas, except ol' clayton was taller and lighter.
i wonder where he is now...

GoWesleyan said:
"what the hell has Cobbs done to show he's "Faulk's next replacement."

He's run the ball really well, caught the ball out of the backfield and has shown good blitz pickup. I think he cuts like Faulk and is a good "change of pace" back. Don't you agree?

Quite frankly, there are a lot of players who are going to look good like that in the preseason.

He has seen FIVE QUARTERS of NFL action so far, and at that, he's playing against and with other players who ARE NOT NFL CALIBER PLAYERS.

You simply CAN NOT say he "runs the ball well" or "is good at picking up the blitz" based off that EXTREMELY LIMITED action.

Last edited:
Obvious to me it's the play in the Giants game that will determine whether it's Evans or Cobbs. Both will get ample opportunities and a long hard look by the coaching staff. I think in the long run Cobbs might be the better choice but I want to see him play vs Giant first stringers behind the Pats starting 'O' line not in the fourth quarter against scrubs fighting for a job. We know what Evans can offer the Pats he showed us some of that last year.

Either way it should be a tough cut. If Cobbs goes to the PS he'll be gone for sure unless he falls flat on his face vs the G-Men.

SamBam39 said:
Since we're thin at outside linebacker, I'd like to see Mincey have a spot, so he could possibly develop as the season progresses.

Also, I don't understand why the Pats wouldn't throw a 3rd round pick at the
Chargers and grab Donnie Edwards for the next 2-3 years to help out with our depth.

Also, since we're thin, makes you wonder why they would've cut Willie McGinest with so much cap room, unless they just felt he had lost it.

As happy as I am with the draft - I love Maroney and Jackson, I still can't believe they drafted 2 more tight ends and never went after a linebacker or a cornerback. I know they've been successful and I know they draft for value, but geez it sure seems like they leave themselves unnecessarily thin at spots that they possibly could've strenghted.

I mean doesn't a 3rd rounder for Donnie Edwards seem like a no-brainer for the pats? Doesn't it seem like that would absolutely make us feel much stronger at linebacker? Can't believe they wouldn't pursue that - every game I see, this guy is a major contributor.

Other than those points though, very pleased with the team's makeup and love the talent and depth. Feel we're a strong team with a good chance to make a run this year. Of course, I'm assuming we get Branch back soon. I think that's critical as well. without branch, I think a trade is necessary and hurts our overall confidence and comfort level. we know what deion can do.

I say while grabbing linebackers and cornerbacks over the next couple of drafts, pickup a couple more wideouts as well....

"I mean doesn't a 3rd rounder for Donnie Edwards seem like a no-brainer for the pats?"

A 3rd Round Pick for a 34 year old, 220 pound LB with a bad back? It's not a no brainer to me.

bostonbuzz said:
Obvious to me it's the play in the Giants game that will determine whether it's Evans or Cobbs. Both will get ample opportunities and a long hard look by the coaching staff. I think in the long run Cobbs might be the better choice but I want to see him play vs Giant first stringers behind the Pats starting 'O' line not in the fourth quarter against scrubs fighting for a job. We know what Evans can offer the Pats he showed us some of that last year.

Either way it should be a tough cut. If Cobbs goes to the PS he'll be gone for sure unless he falls flat on his face vs the G-Men.

Gone for sure? I think not.

Teams aren't going to sacrifice a spot on their 53 for an undrafted player that has had a handful of good runs in the second halves of preseason games.

Last edited:
What do people think the chances are of Pierre Woods getting a roster spot at Mincey's expense?

pats1 said:
Gone for sure? I think not.

Teams aren't going to sacrifice a spot on their 53 for an undrafted player that has had a handful of good runs in the second halves of preseason games.

We'll see...not many teams have a Cory Dillon and a 'can't miss' rookie running back to field and would be more than willing to give Cobbs a shot...unless...again...he doesn't show up tomorrow when he gets the chance...

Last edited:
I'm another person that hopes Cobbs makes it. I understand it's too late to say he's going to be starter material, but from his performance it seems obvious there is something there. I don't know about BBs evaluation of him, but from a fan's perspective, he seems to have done enough to stick.

He's younger, cheaper and has more upside than the other guys he's fighting to replace. The Pats have kept guys on the roster that haven't done a thing, just because they feel they can get something out of them down the road.

Maybe he doesn't amount to anything, but I would want to make sure before we write him off and another team picks him up.

Maybe he gets hurt during the NYG game and gets put on IR???

so no more Patrick Pass?

Bostonian1962 said:
"I mean doesn't a 3rd rounder for Donnie Edwards seem like a no-brainer for the pats?"

A 3rd Round Pick for a 34 year old, 220 pound LB with a bad back? It's not a no brainer to me.

Well, that's one way to depict him. Another is to say an excellent, talented linebacker, who's older now but still has it, and just needs to rebound from preseason injuries. My understanding is he has returned to practice and I'm sure the pats medical staff could clear him before consumating the deal.

Look, I'm not one for haphazardly tossing away picks, but I really think this guy would help us and the price seems fair.

Just My Opinion.

brdmaverick said:
so no more Patrick Pass?

IMO Pass starts the year on the PUP list. That will delay the decision. I would prefer Pass over Evans if he comes off the PUP list.

I hope Cobbs makes the squad, he has 'it' IMO. I could see him being a big part of the O paired as Maroney's backup. The next Faulk if you will.

The performance of Cobbs and Evans will be the most interesting part of the next exhibition game.

If Donnie Edwards for a 3rd were really a no-brainer, than the Pats FO who, to a man, have brains, would have pulled the trigger already.

I've read that Edwards is no longer an asset in run defense anymore, and that his impressive tackle numbers are now occuring further from the line of scrimmage. Perhaps Donnie could be used situationally subbing in for Seau on passing downs -- but in that case, a 3rd round pick seems a bit steep for a 1 year rental for a guy you don't expect to start.

My guess is that the Pats prefer to keep the pick and go with Bruschi and Seau inside and Vrabel and Colvin outside on early downs and short yardage, with Vrabel moving inside, Seau coming off, and TBC taking over outside on 3rd downs or 2nd and long.

Edwards is 220# IIRC that is way too light for a LB in this system. He has been a fine LB but isn't a 3-4 LB.

patsfan13 said:
Edwards is 220# IIRC that is way too light for a LB in this system. He has been a fine LB but isn't a 3-4 LB.

k - I guess we'll just forget him - it was just a thought.
I'd love to see improved depth there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand