PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REDSOX off season begins.

It looks like the Patsies' OL: one solid guy, one potentially solid guy, one completely unreliable guy, and two piles of rancid garbage.
I really didn't want to laugh at your analogy (too close to the truth), but man, I busted a gut laughing at that zinger...

they aren't trying to trade panda but i guarantee you they are shopping headcase Ramirez. there just isn't any takers. hopefully he plays well to start the season so another team takes the bait.
I hope I'm way wrong on this, but I have visions of a Tin Man stiff-legging it at first and wind-milling his arms at any throw below his knees.

If Dombrowski's strategy is to shore up the bullpen with some trades and sign a FA pitcher who will not cost us our draft pick I'm okay with that. Do not want to see him sell off our prospects in an over pay for a starter. Liked Margot but the reality is there is no room for him as Betts will be here for a long ride. The other 3 players would be average MLB if even that. A closer is a huge piece .... as we learned when we won both World Series.

In other news Hanley Ramirez IMI is going to make a fool out of those who said ship him out ... he will be our 1st baseman and a good one at that. He looks like he shed at least 20-25 lbs already. Hopefully Dombrowski sends Sandoval packing ... not worth it ... I'd rather have a skinnier doubles hitter who can field and run the bases.

hanley-ramirez.jpg

Personally, I didn't like Cherrington's approach to baseball...all statistics and theory. Sticking Ramirez in LF was stupid. And it quelled his big bat, which is why the Sox acquired him. And Sandoval at 3B? Are you kidding me for that kind of money. What an albatross for Dombrowski and his new team!

However, methinks, Ramirez might fair much better in the infield, even at 1B. And this should help him on both sides of the inning. Long-term, he might be a fine replacement for Ortiz in the DH slot...if he actually does retire.

Last edited:
they aren't trying to trade panda but i guarantee you they are shopping headcase Ramirez. there just isn't any takers. hopefully he plays well to start the season so another team takes the bait.

Interestingly, 2 of the Sox top 10 prospects play 3B; Devers and Chavis. However, they're still at Greenville. Personally, I'm not keen on the Sandoval signing. If he can't bring more than he did last year, get rid of him ASAP. Put simply, the Sox need some power coming from the 1B/3B positions. After all, their outfielders- as good as they are -are not 30 HR guys.

what does it look like now?

Price
Porcello
Buchholz
Kelly
Rodriguez

We need to get rid of Kelly or put him in the pen

The Sox need a #2 guy cable of following Price in a typical playoff picture. Of course, that should be Buchholz, but who knows where he'll be at any point in the season? More specifically, Clay is not dependable. And that's too bad, because he's a great (multi-sport) athlete....very frustrating! Is Rodriguez going to be that solid LHP that wins all the time? And what about Owens? Personally, I wouldn't judge Owens harshly at all. The kid is owed a Boston-friendly welcome; that full season where he learns how to pitch at the MLB level. Kelly reminds me of Buchholz, from a consistency standpoint. But if he can win 15 and get them to the 6th inning in a playoff scenario, he's a keeper. Please be reminded that the 2016 Red Sox should shorten a lot of games. So, get them to the 6th, and they should fair much better than they have. We'll see.

Lastly, the Sox have a lot to work with. As their prospects heat up in the minors, teams will come a-calling! And Mr Dombrowski knows what the team needs and how to deal. So, don't go thinking that this 2016 team that enters spring training is set in stone.

I actually saw Panda get fatter as the season went on. I find it hard to believe that the front office hasn't spoken to him in the off season and told him to lose 100lbs. You would think it was in his contract when they signed him...if not it should have been.

As the Sox don't have that 30HR guy in the outfield, they need some power to come from at least one of the corners. And if Sandoval can't reach the 20 HR plateau, then he's hogging a spot from some player who might. Methinks and IF role for Hanley will seriously improve his hitting production. However, Sandoval is getting the huge bucks..needs to play like it. In SF, they were all at the Garlic Festival. In BOS, we're watching the games and holding players accountable. And who could blame us? They charge big bucks to attend, view and even support!

They gave up some pretty good prospects in this trade. I wonder what the Reds were looking for if they were going to deal Chapman. I can only surmise the deciding factor was they have Kimbrel for two years plus an option for a third year, while Chapman only had one year left on his current contract.

Consider that there are prospects and suspects. Not all fall into the former category. The ideal of viewing every player in the farm system as a stat buster is impractical. Consider that one (and maybe) two of those players will stick around. Meanwhile, the Sox need a closer, else the bullpen will get used the wrong way...cause bigger problems, then games are lost because they can't keep a lead (or stay in a game). I was reading reports after the Carson Smith deal that had other MLB scouts/people saying that BOS is going to shorten a lot of games in 2016. Yeah, the Smith and Kimbrell deals are huge. Let's just hope they have a healthy season.

Last edited:
Bullpen looks decent, but they need at least one more (actually two more) starters before the rotation can be considered even barely adequate.

The bullpen looks fantastic! The Sox now have a few guys who can close; Kimbrell might be the best in the business and Koji can be very, very good. I'm sure Farrell loves having both of them already. And this makes the entire pen better, as now those who can't handle the closer role can focus on a role they can be more successful in. There are a lot of good/young arms that can play in the other slots with Carson Smith setting the tone. The Sox should shorten a lot of games and be able to absorb injuries, as well. Dombrowski has done a great job.

I like the way he's playing it ... cost of pitching is way to high ...
If Clay or Joe under perform they still have plenty of players use in a trade ....
Also I'm still hoping he can shed the fat panda ....

With ya on the Panda bit. Personally, I'm glad Cherrington is gone. He was like having a fantasy league manager; dealing according to theory that does not work well with reality. He spent all that money on Hanley and then put him in a position to injure himself- which he did -whilst his bat got lost in between...dumb move. And getting sucked into the World Series hype in regards to Sandoval for that kind of money? Yikes! It was almost as though he went out and signed these guys as a reaction.

Perhaps, we should wait and see how the pitching thing works itself out through spring training and the first month or so? This is not to say that I don't want to see a legitimate #2 guy come to town. However, it is to say that the timing of a deal might be better sometime during the season. At least we know who the ace is! And, injuries happen; are part of the game. Regardless, Dombrowski has enough to deal with to pull of trades at any time during the season. And as Sox prospects heat up down on the farm, they are viewed as more valuable in trade talks.

A good or even great bullpen is of little use if the starters allow 6 runs by the 4th inning.

Personally, I'm glad Cherrington is gone. He was like having a fantasy league manager; dealing according to theory that does not work well with reality. He spent all that money on Hanley and then put him in a position to injure himself- which he did -whilst his bat got lost in between...dumb move.

If Hanley had bothered to put some effort into learning how to play the position, he might have been able to avoid the injuries. Blame B.C. for signing Ramirez if you choose, but Blame Ramirez for Ramirez getting hurt.

If Hanley had bothered to put some effort into learning how to play the position, he might have been able to avoid the injuries. Blame B.C. for signing Ramirez if you choose, but Blame Ramirez for Ramirez getting hurt.

Shouldn't managers put players in position to succeed? Of course, if the player succeeds, then that's good for the team, as well.

Personally, I made note of many commentaries- during the season -of how left field is tough to play in Fenway. It was also hinted that one can get banged up if they do not know how to play the wall out there in LF.

In regards, to blaming Cherrington for signing a player- whether it be at their natural position or not -who else is accountable? Did someone else make the decision to sign Ramirez?

Is switching from SS/IF to LF (at Fenway) a difficult change? And how much effort is required? Regardless, even the best get injured. But don't the chances increase according to a level of familiarity? Please be reminded that this was not an instance of an OFer getting signed and learning how to play in Fenway. Nay, it was an instance of a SS/IF moving to the OF and playing in a very unique LF. What other ballpark plays like LF in Fenway?

Can we also say- using your position -that pitchers that are misused are responsible for their own injuries if they go down? Perhaps. However, don't managers watch pitch counts for valid reasons?

Shouldn't managers put players in position to succeed? Of course, if the player succeeds, then that's good for the team, as well.

Personally, I made note of many commentaries- during the season -of how left field is tough to play in Fenway. It was also hinted that one can get banged up if they do not know how to play the wall out there in LF.

In regards, to blaming Cherrington for signing a player- whether it be at their natural position or not -who else is accountable? Did someone else make the decision to sign Ramirez?

Is switching from SS/IF to LF (at Fenway) a difficult change? And how much effort is required? Regardless, even the best get injured. But don't the chances increase according to a level of familiarity? Please be reminded that this was not an instance of an OFer getting signed and learning how to play in Fenway. Nay, it was an instance of a SS/IF moving to the OF and playing in a very unique LF. What other ballpark plays like LF in Fenway?

Can we also say- using your position -that pitchers that are misused are responsible for their own injuries if they go down? Perhaps. However, don't managers watch pitch counts for valid reasons?

You're claiming he was misused. I'm not buying that. And players change positions all the time.

You're claiming he was misused. I'm not buying that.

That is inconsequential to me; only to you. :)

And players change positions all the time.

Are they all successful? Should they all be successful? Are some players more versatile than others? And if they are not, does that mean they do not hold value? Let's be more specific. Had Ramirez not been put in LF last season, might the overall results (i.e. Red Sox defensive woes and overall offense) have been more favorable? Perhaps. :confused:

Interestingly, I just read this, today, about Ramirez:

For what it’s worth, keeping Ramirez makes more sense now given David Ortiz’s impending retirement, as the three-time All-Star could assume Big Papi’s DH role as soon as 2017.

Read more at: Red Sox 2016 Roster Projection: Club Looks Solid After Winter Meetings

Personally, I would not put Hanley Ramirez in the OF this year or next. And I would not put a lot of other players in the OF, either. However, I'd consider putting Brock Holt anywhere. Of course, that is inconsequential to the manager. :rolleyes:

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back