PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Recent Patriots Drafts Bearing Fruit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brace starts in the base 3-4. Not sure what else you want.

in 10 games he has 4 starts. I'm expecting more from a high 2nd round pick.

Especially when I see Pryor have 2 starts in 8 games and and Deaderick with 4 starts in 7 Games

Players drafted right before and after, at different positions, are playing more..

Again like a few others have stated, I have seen glimpses of his potential but right now he's a JAG.. The reason for my rating..

BTW - the glimpse I saw 1st hand was during the Minn game on 4th down he stood up the OG and caused peterson to bounce inside where the rest of the defense stuffed him..

Especially when I see Pryor have 2 starts in 8 games and and Deaderick with 4 starts in 7 Games

Players drafted right before and after, at different positions, are playing more..

Again like a few others have stated, I have seen glimpses of his potential but right now he's a JAG.. The reason for my rating..

BTW - the glimpse I saw 1st hand was during the Minn game on 4th down he stood up the OG and caused peterson to bounce inside where the rest of the defense stuffed him..

Brace was a nonentity last season. The fact that he's got 4 starts already this season means:

a.) Brace has shown significant improvement and has earned those starts

b.) The loss of Warren has left the team absolutely devastated at DE with nobody stepping up

or

c.) Both a and b

One thing is sure, though. Outside of Wilfork, there's nobody on that line this year who's better able to really remain stout in the face of a heavy rushing attack.

What Jeffbiologist said. The 2006 or 2007 draft class had to come in and compete with the likes of Bruschi, Vrable, Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Samuel, Rodney, Seau, eventually Moss, Welker, and the rest of one of the greatest, most winningest teams ever. Who are you removing from the best roster ever (2007) to put rookies on the team? There could have been great rookies that just couldn't usurp living legends.

Not to be a simple contrarian, but lets not forget who this year's class is competing against in camp vs the past years. In past years the rookies had to compete for time with established vets and fared poorly. This year we have seen more use of the rookies because vets werent here to compete as much. More spots were more or less "given" to rookies than ever before(there werent 3 vet TEs in camp for example) and they are flourishing. Now you can say that this class is special or you can also say that Belichick is doing his best coaching job. Both? Or is it timing? Could it be a simple cost cutting measure?? There are still alot of questions but it will be a good problem to have moving forward with all the extra picks due us in '11.

I've been wondering what everybody thinks about Robert Quinn. I watched a couple of highlights and he kind of reminds me of Julius P. What do you think are the chances that BB takes him next draft?

I base my opinions on where they were drafted and their contribution:

Chung: B+/A- Solid player. Could be great or even elite over time.

Ron Brace: B. Lost rookie season. Has been pretty solid as a rotational guy this year.

Butler: D, as a second round pick, he should be at least a solid contributor. Stinks right now

Vollmer: B+, Had a great rookie season. Has struggled at times this year
Bradon Tate: B-, Great return guy, but very inconsistent WR

Tyrone McKenzie: F, Gone from the team. Not all his fault since he tore his ACL. With the Bucs now

Rich Ohrnberger C- A back up, but not seeing the field

Gary Bussey F, Gone

Jake Ingram D+, near perfect at long snapper last year, miserable this year. Cut from the team. Doesn't get an F because he was a fifth rounder

Myron Pryor: A Solid rotational guy for a sixth rounder. If a sixth rounder can make a consistent impact at all, I say he deserves an A

Edelman: A-, Lost in the shuffle this year. Incredible rookie season. If a seventh rounder makes any significant impact at all even if it is only for one year, he deserves at least an B+/A-. Most seventh rounders never see the field in any significant capacity.

McCourty: A+, Legitimare DROY candidate. Has played shutdown at times. Covered Megatron as good as anyone in the league.

Gronk: A, Great at all phases. Also another rookie of the year candidate.

Cunningham: B, Started slow because of injuries. Shows flashes of dominance, but not consistent. A position that it can take a year to hit your stride.

Spikes: B+ , Good ILB. Can get lost at times in coverage. Likes to hit. Solid against the run.

Taylor Price: F, not being activated. There is a glut at WR and could easily become a solid player in the future, but since he isn't dressing on game days and is a third round pick he deserves nothing higher than a failing grade.

Hernandez: A, Started out as a solid ROY candidate. Has fallen off recently, but he has been a difference maker and for a third round pick to make that kind of impact right away is big.

Mesko: A-, The best punter the Pats have had here in 7-8 years.

Ted Larson: F, A sixth round pick who is now on the Bucs. Granted he did start for them, but he isn't doing anything for the Pats.

Brandon Deadrick: A, The guy is a seventh round pick who is getting decent rotation in the d-line line up and even starting games. Got two sacks. Incredible pick for the seventh round.

I will forgo the other guys because they are gone.

Then maybe your expectations are the issue. The number of starts doesn't mean all that much, particularly with the number of sub-packages on this defense.

Comparing players who were drafted at different positions to Brace is foolishness on your part. Clearly, the learning curve has been different for Brace and not what the Pats hoped. However, most everyone here felt that Brace was drafted as a back-up NT for Wilfork. He's been playing DE in the 3-4. That's a change from where he was at in college. Not to mention the complexities of the Pats defense. Also, when looking back, Ty Warren and Wilfork, didn't make big jumps until their 2nd year.

Brace has been very good against the run this year. He's not been used much against the pass. Next season, if it was him, Wilfork and Ty Warren for the D-line, I don't think it would be bad, though I believe that Brace is better suited for the LDE position.

Then maybe your expectations are the issue. The number of starts doesn't mean all that much, particularly with the number of sub-packages on this defense.

Yes my expectations are different from the others I've seen, this is why I posted my belief. And if you actually go back, the person I was replying to was using starts as a figure.

You excluded what I my initial point, that we've seen picks before him and after him contribute more, learning curve or not.

Comparing players who were drafted at different positions to Brace is foolishness on your part. Clearly, the learning curve has been different for Brace and not what the Pats hoped. However, most everyone here felt that Brace was drafted as a back-up NT for Wilfork. He's been playing DE in the 3-4. That's a change from where he was at in college. Not to mention the complexities of the Pats defense. Also, when looking back, Ty Warren and Wilfork, didn't make big jumps until their 2nd year.

You might see it as foolish but the point is valid, even if you care not to acknowledge it. For a high second rounder, (and as of right now) he's competing against lower draft picks for playing time.

While you and others might have thought he was going to be a backup NT, I was under the impression he was here to play DE. He's 6"3 330lb's and didn't in that a 3-4 in college. I never thought Wilfork was leaving.

Brace has been very good against the run this year. He's not been used much against the pass. Next season, if it was him, Wilfork and Ty Warren for the D-line, I don't think it would be bad, though I believe that Brace is better suited for the LDE position.

I agree, in his spots, he has been good against the run. I did give him a Grade of C but for a 2nd rounder I expect more.

What Jeffbiologist said. The 2006 or 2007 draft class had to come in and compete with the likes of Bruschi, Vrable, Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Samuel, Rodney, Seau, eventually Moss, Welker, and the rest of one of the greatest, most winningest teams ever. Who are you removing from the best roster ever (2007) to put rookies on the team? There could have been great rookies that just couldn't usurp living legends.

How about Lekevin Smith, Willie Andrews, Mel Mitchell, Rashad Baker, Eddie Jackson, Santonio Thomas, Chad Brown and Corey Mays as well as living legends like Pierre Woods and Eric Alexander.

Shouldn't a player's impact to the team be the main factor in analyzing the success of a drafted player?

Yes, it should. However, that impact to the team needs to be measured in the context of the price that was paid for the player which in this case is where in the draft a player was chosen.

A capable backup would probably result in a D or F grade for a first round pick but would be at least a solid B for a 7th round draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes