PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rebuilding this Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most will likely disagree, but this defense is a nose tackle away from being dominant again. We need the "Wilfork" type of player to clog the middle because such a player will draw double teams and let us do more disguised packages. The lack of talent and physical prowess at the center of the defense meant that we couldn't set a tone against talented offensive lines.

Branch was it, but he checked out like Butler did. Unfortunate. To think we got jobbed in a SB over a fake TD ,and had so many bodies missing from the 2016, and almost pulled it off.

You do realize that it was Hicks decision to leave, yes? By all accounts, the Patriots offered him a lucrative deal and he still chose Chicago.
Where did you get this information? I didnt get any info that he got the sam amount that Bears were offering

Where did you get this information? I didnt get any info that he got the sam amount that Bears were offering

it was out there..bb called hicks and was offering the same money or more but hicks wanted to be lazy and a loser.

bb can’t control human beings antics such as that

Hicks led all interior defenders with 85% of his team's defensive snaps last season. That's a role New England was never offering with Brown and Branch also on the roster. He knew his path to a monster contract was to keep his current level of play for twice as many snaps, so that's what he did. You can't blame a guy for seeking out a larger role than what New England could give him.

giphy.gif

Hicks led all interior defenders with 85% of his team's defensive snaps last season. That's a role New England was never offering with Brown and Branch also on the roster. He knew his path to a monster contract was to keep his current level of play for twice as many snaps, so that's what he did. You can't blame a guy for seeking out a larger role than what New England could give him.

It was reported BB matched and/or sweetened the deal to outbid Chicago.

Again, why would ANYONE want to go to the Bears over a NE, if they never won a ring and are getting older?

Answer? Ego, control, not willing to work.

Last edited:

The Bears offered about 1.5-2.0 million more a season, ultimately it wasn’t close.

I was reported BB matched and/or sweetened the deal to outbid Chicago.

Again, why would ANYONE want to go to the Bears over a NE, if they never won a ring and are getting older?

Answer? Ego, control, not willing to work.
Ego was why he left, and he was absolutely correct to do so. The Patriots were offering him a career as a borderline starter, first guy off the bench kind of player. He saw himself as more than that, and he was right. The immediate money wasn’t significantly different, but his increased role in Chicago led to a $48 million extension that he wouldn’t have come close to in New England. Good for him. Nobody did anything wrong in any of this. Free agency benefited a player just like it is supposed to.

it was out there..bb called hicks and was offering the same money or more but hicks wanted to be lazy and a loser.

bb can’t control human beings antics such as that
Now the Patriots didn’t want to let Hicks go- Belichick called Hicks at the last minute to give a counter offer- but they didn’t do enough to keep him around
Hicks wanted money and bigger role. I dont think he wanted to be lazy and loser. Guys in this sport risking their lives. Being a vegetable at 40. So calling him lazy, cmon you are better than that.

I don't think concussions are tied to the phrase "can't stay healthy".

Yes, he came in last year and immediately the D took off right after BB dealt Collins.

Did you watch the 2016 season? The guy wa sall over the field and in the flat on RBs, very versatile, chess piece type and was by far our fastest and best coverage LBa, always around the ball and a great tackler.

They created a new rule for his mastery of timing to jump over the line for PATs/FGs, for crying out loud.

It's clear BB had something in mind when signing him, but no one can predict concussion issues.

If I am not mistaken, it was BB's first plunge into FA, and if you look at photos of him before 2016, it's pretty obvious BB had something specific in mind, because he dropped a ton of weight for that role.

But, I do expect him to retire because of the concussions. They couldn't have handled him any more carefully than they did.

Hightower/Van Noy are one of the better LB duos in the AFC, yet somehow it's "awful". lmao
You are totally missing my point. Sure, McClellan and Hightower are good when healthy...I don’t believe either ever will be for 16 games again...so basically I don’t even count them at all. Take them out and yes, we are awful at LB. not sure how that is even in question. Did you watch the super bowl?

This sounds like a guy who really wants to come back. Of course, to the specific point, if I were Johnson I'd respond, "and how many were you a part of?"

Marquis Flowers: Five Super Bowls is more fun than one

With a full season under his belt, a full training camp, and hopefully with more talent around him at LB, I think Flowers has the potential to do well in a coverage LB role.

Ego was why he left, and he was absolutely correct to do so. The Patriots were offering him a career as a borderline starter, first guy off the bench kind of player. He saw himself as more than that, and he was right. The immediate money wasn’t significantly different, but his increased role in Chicago led to a $48 million extension that he wouldn’t have come close to in New England. Good for him. Nobody did anything wrong in any of this. Free agency benefited a player just like it is supposed to.

False. BB at least matched their offer. He called him last minute and matched what Chicago had.

This is like Matt Forte choosing the Jets over NE. BB was on the phone with his agent and the loser still chose to be a loser. No one can control people like this.

Why any FA still able to contribute or in the prime of their careers, chooses such awful franchises, I absolutely no idea.

How is a guy starting in a 3-4/4-3 D,

The knock on Hicks out of NOs was that he had trouble getting motivated. Who plays in NE for BB and then seeks employment in one of the worst run franchises in the NFL?

There's only one kind of player that makes that choice and there is nothing BB can do about it.

Hicks also turned down Bob Quinn in Detroit. You';re telling me Chicago is in a better spot to win a title than Detroit? lmao

I liked Hicks a lot. I felt he was a pure 3-4 DE and a perfect fit her. Instead, he goes to Chicago, gets the ego stroke, the easy practices, lame atmosphere, crap GM, crap owner, crap QB situation, and an outright mess.

Do you know anything about how poorly run some of these franchises are?

That's not a winner. Hicks didn't want to work and win.

The guy was a beast at the August 2015 Greenbrier with the 2 scrimmages I watched. I thought he was going to get David Andrews cut. He blew him up numerous times off the snap in individual line drills.

He was hands down the best player on the field for NOs, on defense anyway. If it was a real game, he probably would have sacked Brady 3 or 4 times. Easy.

Last edited:
This sounds like a guy who really wants to come back. Of course, to the specific point, if I were Johnson I'd respond, "and how many were you a part of?"

Marquis Flowers: Five Super Bowls is more fun than one

With a full season under his belt, a full training camp, and hopefully with more talent around him at LB, I think Flowers has the potential to do well in a coverage LB role.

Absolutely. He played very well. Picture him out there with Hightower setting up the D. He'd be even better in the role.

Again, I am assuming McClellin retires due to his rampant concussions, but everyday that goes by that he doesn't, hopefully that means he isn't. Having more speed at LB will help. Throw in Langi, and you may have something cooking at LB in 2018.

Last edited:
You are totally missing my point. Sure, McClellan and Hightower are good when healthy...I don’t believe either ever will be for 16 games again...so basically I don’t even count them at all. Take them out and yes, we are awful at LB. not sure how that is even in question. Did you watch the super bowl?

Did you just ask me if I watched the SB? Your point is dumb and childish. People used to mock Amendola's injuries, too. Is Edelman always healthy? What about Dion Lewis? Nate Solder? Marcus Cannon? Guys get hurt. It's the NFL.

Give me a winner all day everyday over worrying about injuries in the NFL.

Absolutely. He played very well. Picture him out there with Hightower setting up the D. He'd be even better in the role.

Again, I am assuming McClellin retires due to his rampant concussions, but everyday that goes by that he doesn't, hopefully that means he isn't. Having more speed at LB will help. Throw in Langi, and you may have something cooking at LB in 2018.
Mccellin is very frustrating athletic linebackers on a very affordable deal but injuries make him a drain on the cap

Mccellin is very frustrating athletic linebackers on a very affordable deal but injuries make him a drain on the cap

Well, I agree his missed season is frustrating as it is for Mitchell or Valentine, he's cheap as hell for what he does. I don't agree it's a drain at all.

It was a super affordable deal for us and still is. He's like 2 mil per or something. It's peanuts for a veteran chess piece for BB like that.

If BB signs Harrison at around2-3 mil and more or less says he wants Harrison to be a spot player with some strategy involved with how he deploys him in 2018, for example, that's great value, too.

I would resign Flowers, and if McClellin can come back, the speed aspect alone, with the athleticism at LB is automatically in much better shape with Hightower returning.

Here's my Patriots needs and predictions:

Patriots only have 5 picks in 2018 Draft: Round 1 - OT, Round 2 from SF- QB, Round 2 - LB, Round 3 - DE, Round 4 - None, Round 5 - None, Round 6 - CB, Round 7- None

OL: Belichick will draft the best tackle on the board with the 1st round pick and send him to Scar School to be Solder's replacement in 2019, and I think we'll see a versatile veteran brought in at good money to provide depth

DE: Belichick will re-sign Harrison to a modest, incentive laden contract and bring in other UFAs and undrafted rookies

LB: Belichick will re-sign Roberts, draft a good LB in the 2nd round, and bring in several veterans for a look

QB: Belichick will draft a QB in the 2nd round and bring in a couple of veterans ( I like Sam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater who can be had for $6M for one season, or $10M for two seasons according reports.)

CB: Belichick has some good corners coming off of IR, especially Jonathan Joseph, but I expect one draft pick and a couple of UFAs in camp for a crowded competition.

Here's my Patriots needs and predictions:

Patriots only have 5 picks in 2018 Draft: Round 1 - OT, Round 2 from SF- QB, Round 2 - LB, Round 3 - DE, Round 4 - None, Round 5 - None, Round 6 - CB, Round 7- None

OL: Belichick will draft the best tackle on the board with the 1st round pick and send him to Scar School to be Solder's replacement in 2019, and I think we'll see a versatile veteran brought in at good money to provide depth

DE: Belichick will re-sign Harrison to a modest, incentive laden contract and bring in other UFAs and undrafted rookies

LB: Belichick will re-sign Roberts, draft a good LB in the 2nd round, and bring in several veterans for a look

QB: Belichick will draft a QB in the 2nd round and bring in a couple of veterans ( I like Sam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater who can be had for $6M for one season, or $10M for two seasons according reports.)

CB: Belichick has some good corners coming off of IR, especially Jonathan Joseph, but I expect one draft pick and a couple of UFAs in camp for a crowded competition.

I don't really agree with any of your ideas. Why would BB need spend for a backup QB in FA and waste the cap space. Just draft one, keep Hoyer on the cheap, and you're good. Kyle Lauletta in Rd 2 would be great.

Agree on Harrison. I don't see where else he wants to go, assuming he enjoyed his time in NE. He could be better next year, technically, with one full offseason under his belt.

Resign Marquis Flowers.

Also, I think the drafting of Garcia last year was meant to be the Solder replacement. That guy needed to gain weight but he lost a bunch instead due to an illness. Maybe he can ramp up?

Word is, Denver will be in on him as he may want to be closer to his parents and in-laws.

Try to keep Dion Lewis, if not, walk and go draft or see if Giovani Bernard (assuming he might get cut) wants to come in with White.

Resign Waddle and/or Fleming. People make fun of these guys, but both played well overall.

I think they need DL, CB, LB, QB as needs picks. Maybe Tackle, yes, if Garcia is not ready.

Last edited:
The first 3 selections should all be focused on the D unless someone falls dramatically.. I'm not convinced about Kyle Lauletta, his arm seems weak personally..

Patriots only have 5 picks in 2018 Draft: Round 1 - OT
Not so sure about this.
The one thing no one talks about is how good Waddle and Fleming played during Cannon absence. I know they have Brady but Waddle had some pretty good pass rusher and made his litlle b...Pats had a chance to extend them before the offseason.
Why not extend Fleming or Waddle before and wait that they can get more?
Maybe they are counting on Garcia and the one player no one talks is Andrew Jelks.
Jelks is maybe some cheaper version of reserve tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes