PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reality Check On Drafting A Quarterback

Why? We're sitting at #3 right now!

Bill needs to send Brown home to take care of his "personal" issue. Play Grier or Cunningham at QB. Increase JJSS snaps. That should be enough to guarantee a loss to the Giants. Now we're at #2.

The best way to have all the options open at QB is to control your own destiny. The #2 spot should be close enough to do that.
Why ignore the top of the draft? Because I started a thread on our situation if we aren't picking in the top 3. If we aren't in the top 3, we have no guarantee at one of the top QB's and will need to face that fact during the free agency.

I just want us to draft Marvin Harrison . We should not go out of top 3 and we should at all coat lose to giants .

And the best available QB in round 2 or round 3 . And go aggressive on Joshua Dobbs . Guess vikings will resign cousins .

Anybody watched ND's Hartman? I've seen him only a few quarters of play, but I like his composure as a later-round (3rd, 4th) flyer. Seemed to have some maturity on the field, but again, VERY small sample size.
Back up material. Doesn’t have the it factor

it's crazy how difficult it still is to figure out QB prospects

In other sports, highly touted college basketball players, or up-and-coming young pitchers or hitters in baseball, there is a degree of variability but more often than not there's a pretty strong idea of what you're going to get

Billions of dollars and man hours are funneled into researching these quarterbacks, and nobody has a freaking clue how they'll turn out

I’m with you on Nix. Like Maye and Williams he can make every throw at the NFL level.

Love Williams the QB, he has more talent in one finger than Mac has in his whole body. He instantly improves the position and the team right away. His character and make up will have to be evaluated by better scouts than us. From the outside looking, in he looks like a mess sometimes, but I also don’t doubt his desire to win and his abilities.

Awkwardness is what I see with Penix, just want to nickname him simon (f)Penix from demolition man right now. It’s hard not to think of Philip Rivers when you see the delivery, he plays in a much improved Pac-12 like Williams and Nix and he competes very high in elite contests. Has Washington contending every week which speaks volumes. Has won every game this year.

Maye is the most prototypical that plays on the worst team of the bunch. He’s got great size, the arm, some elusiveness and stats to go with it. Would love to see him with better players around him.
I can't see any team not taking Williams. His talent is through the roof.

Maye scares me because of his long windup. He's like a mobile Rick Mallet

Last edited:
Announced he's staying at Texas another year.

I like Will Howard of KState as a late round pick. 6'4", 245lbs. Can run some, calm in the pocket. Late bloomer as a passer.
Ugh but it’s smart for him.

Dane Brugler is arguably the best draft analyst out there. He doesn’t have Nix (or Penix) in his top 50. That’s a sign the NFL likely isn’t that high on them.

1. Drake Maye
3. Caleb Williams
16. J.J. McCarthy
24. Shedeur Sanders
43. Jayden Daniels
45. Quinn Ewers
50. Carson Beck

My preference is to get the 3rd overall pick & draft a historic WR prospect. Marvin Harrison Jr. will help any future QB succeed.

Dane Brugler is arguably the best draft analyst out there. He doesn’t have Nix (or Penix) in his top 50. That’s a sign the NFL likely isn’t that high on them.

1. Drake Maye
3. Caleb Williams
16. J.J. McCarthy
24. Shedeur Sanders
43. Jayden Daniels
45. Quinn Ewers
50. Carson Beck

My preference is to get the 3rd overall pick & draft a historic WR prospect. Marvin Harrison Jr. will help any future QB succeed.

Harrison and Daniels, Beck or JJ McCarthy after a move up and I'd be very happy.

I think there are still too many unknowns to speculate yet on this. Much of the college season remains, time during which candidates will rise or fall. We don't know our eventual draft position, nor the presumed needs of teams ahead of us in the draft order. It is questionable who will be making decisions going forward, and who in the end ought to be doing so. A week ago, I would have said that we do not yet know whether Mac might rally (that dream is rapidly fading or gone: he deserved the shot imho.). Anyway, i find it hard to reflect on this question given such uncertainties as this. It is simple due diligence to follow the college game closely, of course, looking ahead to the day we will pick or not pick a qb and in which round. Given the dismaying breadth of needs on the team, i would not reject the idea that we ought to pick at another position in the first round, then go with a later-round QB prospect, getting some vet as his mentor or even (brace yourself) keeping Mac another year as a bridge/competition/sacrificial lamb/cannon fodder.

Last edited:
it's crazy how difficult it still is to figure out QB prospects

In other sports, highly touted college basketball players, or up-and-coming young pitchers or hitters in baseball, there is a degree of variability but more often than not there's a pretty strong idea of what you're going to get

Billions of dollars and man hours are funneled into researching these quarterbacks, and nobody has a freaking clue how they'll turn out
I think sometimes teams get "bullied" into taking a certain QB, and they are afraid of going against the mainstream logic.

For example, Carolina drafted Bryce Young #1. Now, did they do that based on their own analysis? Or did they do that based on the fact that all the Mel Kiper's of the world said Young is the top prospect, and they were afraid of going against the grain and being a laughingstock for the next few decades?

The reason why I bring up that example is because it sure looks like Stroud would have been the better selection to make at #1.

I think sometimes teams get "bullied" into taking a certain QB, and they are afraid of going against the mainstream logic.

For example, Carolina drafted Bryce Young #1. Now, did they do that based on their own analysis? Or did they do that based on the fact that all the Mel Kiper's of the world said Young is the top prospect, and they were afraid of going against the grain and being a laughingstock for the next few decades?

The reason why I bring up that example is because it sure looks like Stroud would have been the better selection to make at #1.
Schefter reported before the draft that Reich wanted Stroud but the owner wanted Young. I know some around here have been calling on Kraft to step in and make changes but sometimes the owner stepping in isn't a good thing.

I agree completely. Difficult times are a time for rational, empirically based, occasionally cold-hearted judgment, not for giddy grasping at shiny draftable objects,which teams often do, as you say, often without realizing they are doing do, in times of trouble

Announced he's staying at Texas another year.

I like Will Howard of KState as a late round pick. 6'4", 245lbs. Can run some, calm in the pocket. Late bloomer as a passer.
Reading not 100 percent confirmed yet.
Said the decision has a long way to go.
I’m being selfish in the hopes of getting him in the third.
If he comes back to school he will more than likely be a first.

I think there are still too many unknowns to speculate yet on this. Much of the college season remains, time during which candidates will rise or fall. We don't know our eventual draft position, nor the presumed needs of teams ahead of us in the draft order. It is questionable who will be making decisions going forward, and who in the end ought to be doing so. A week ago, I would have said that we do not yet know whether Mac might rally (that dream is rapidly fading or gone: he deserved the shot imho.). Anyway, i find it hard to reflect on this question given such uncertainties as this. It is simple due diligence to follow the college game closely, of course, looking ahead to the day we will pick or not pick a qb and in which round. Given the dismaying breadth of needs on the team, i would not reject the idea that we ought to pick at another position in the first round, then go with a later-round QB prospect, getting some vet as his mentor or even (brace yourself) keeping Mac another year as a bridge/competition/sacrificial lamb/cannon fodder.
I think Maye already announced he will no longer play for North Carolina.

We're bascially at the end of their careers, there's no more to judge them on than their campus workouts.

Better hope BB leaves then. Cause I think the Pats will trade down with the 5th pick and grab an offensive guard with pick 26 and a safety with their day 2 pick.
I have little faith in the current administrations drafting process.
I also see another 2 wins this season.

My opinion is the patriots should either pick a QB if one is there that makes sense value wise or trade the pick into next year. Hopefully it's high enough for a team to pay a lot for it. I haven't looked at the QBs at all yet, but i don't want to see a first round pick used on a non-QB. Unless it is a bonus first (IE we trade the #3 pick for next years 1st a 2nd and this years 1st). In that case I would be happy to take an elite WR, as long as BB isn't picking the WR.

Let's ignore the top 3 picks in the draft. They are indeed expected to succeed, although they often don't. In any case, a team has decided the short-term future of the franchise.
===============
How likely is one of the other QB's drafted to be a top 10 or even a mediocre QB in the NFL? Will there be 2 this year is the entire rest of the draft? So, after the first 2, teams will draft maybe 6 QB's in the first 5 rounds, hoping that theirs will be one of the two that is even a quality backup in a couple of years.

Let me bend a bit, perhaps we can have more hope that a QB in the top 16 has a future.
===================
Unless we have a top 3 pick, it is very unlikely that we get a QB that will be our franchise QB, although we might be the QB needy team that wins the lottery.
================
The alternatives if we pick 3-8 are clear.
1) Draft the 3rd rated QB. We are unlikely to get him by trading down.
2) Count on the QB that we have signed in free agency to be our QB for the next 3 years while we draft one in the 2nd and/or third and try again next year, and the year after.
==========
So, we have 2 questions: the name of our coach and the name of our free agent QB.
I mean. Im going to just let you know. QB's like any players are crap shoots in any draft. Thats it, you might go 30 years and not draft a good one, or you might drafted a great one in round 4. But, your scouts and everyone has to look at all the QB's and pick the best one to make your team better, thats it, and then see if it works.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back