PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

realistic FA class for pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan-1982

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Tamba Hali, Haloti Ngata, and Nnamdi Asomugha, all will want way over 10 million per year if they hit the market thats out of the pats price range IMO with Brady, makeing 20 million i cant see the pats giveing much more then 6 or 7 million on any one player with or with out a CAP... so with that is mind i made up a small list of affordable but good FA's the pats may look at

RB

Ricky Williams,
Tim Hightower,
Cadillac Williams,

FB

John Kuhn,
Heath Evans,
Brian Leonard,

WR

Terrell Owens,
Randy Moss,
James Jones,
Steve Breaston,
Mike Sims-Walker,
Santana Moss,

G

Logan Mankins,
Richie Incognito,
Harvey Dahl,

DL

Pat Williams,
John Henderson,

OLB

Mathias Kiwanuka,
LaMarr Woodley, (maybe out of the pats price rang but wort the money )
Matt Roth,
Kamerion Wimbley,

CB

Champ Bailey,
Carlos Rogers,
Fabian Washington,
Drayton Florence,

Kiawanuka (after Neck examine), C. Bailey (definite), L. Washington (if we trade Welker)

Beyond that I'd look for trades ...... S. Jackson (exchanging Law Firm), Fitzgerald (if possible $ wise) ........ M. Bush (keeping Law Firm) - none of these is likely except perhaps Bush.

We're going to need to continue to drat well, I don't see a short cut.

Pierre Thomas at RB, considering that the Pats almost traded for him

Mankins, an RB who already knows how to block, and Bailey.

Pierre Thomas at RB, considering that the Pats almost traded for him

"almost traded for him", which makes it sound like the Pats initiated that sequence of events, was the commonly repeated media theme based on a (perhaps wilful) misreading of the original report in the New Orleans paper. The original report made it sound like Payton (in desperate need of CB help because of injuries at the time) was trying to move Thomas (who he apparently dislikes) and approached the Pats, offering an even swap for Butler.

It was reported that the Pats "entered negotiations", which may mean nothing more than that they listened to Payton's proposal. And the "negotiations" ended, reportedly, when the Pats demanded (supposedly) a 3rd-rounder in addition to Thomas - which only makes sense to me in the context of Payton having initiated discussions rather than the Pats.

Anyway, I personally believe that Pierre Thomas has had his run (npi) and wouldn't really add much, if anything, to the Pats offense at this point.

I'e love to see the Pats pick up at least 1 solid interior OL (not named Mankins) and maybe a RT in free agency. This draft isn't very good for O-lineman so maybe we can restock with middle-tier FA's who we already know kinda "get it" at this level.

Something to consider when looking at the free agents. The Pats just spent the better part of 2 years getting younger.. Why would they look at guys like Henderson (32), Pat Williams (39) and Ricky Williams (34)?

Sims-Walker is gonna be a restricted free agent unless something changes..

Woodley is going to get Franchised.

Incognito is too undisciplined and too much of a dirty player.

Something to consider when looking at the free agents. The Pats just spent the better part of 2 years getting younger.. Why would they look at guys like Henderson (32), Pat Williams (39) and Ricky Williams (34)?

Sims-Walker is gonna be a restricted free agent unless something changes..

Woodley is going to get Franchised.

Incognito is too undisciplined and too much of a dirty player.

If they turn out to be veteran leaders à la Crumpler, having a few of them can actually be a good thing.

What do you guys think of Brandon Jacobs? He's a UFA and the Giants appear to be going with Ahmad Bradshaw. Even though he has been in the league 6 years. He'll be 29 this summer. He hasn't had a ton of carries. So, he's not been driven into the ground like a mule. Apc was 5.6 last year. Career avg. is 4.6apc. He's a big hoss who might complement our guys very well. Except for that fumbling issue. Seems like we do better at trading/signing wr/rb's than drafting them. I'd kick the tires on Santonio Holmes too. Jets have a ton of UFA's. They can't keep em all. My guess would be he goes to St. L or Chicago. Also, Vincent Jackson - SD. Him and Holmes have off of the field issues. But, Welker and Branch are both entering the last year of their contracts. Don't want to break in two new wr's in 2012.

I'd use the draft to rebuild the front 7 on defense and strengthen ol. Premier talent at those positions is just too expensive in the free-agency market.

I want Jason Snelling...he'd be a beast in this offense.

RB - Seems to me that, in order to actually improve the ground game, we need to acquire a guy who's as strong and durable between the tackles as BGE, but who also has the 2nd cut and breakaway speed that BGE lacks. He'd ideally be a guy who is a threat to make significant yards on his own out of a 4-WR set (IOW, without TE or FB blocking assistance).

Guy who seem certain to have those abilities in 2011 are all almost certainly going to be re-signed by their current teams. And guys like Tolbert, Michael Bush, Hightower, Norwood, and Snelling aren't going anywhere else. Who does that potentially leave?

DeAngelo Williams - only 28 but maybe already on his downside (though I'm sure HE won't see it that way)
Ricky Williams - in the Pats' locker room? Seriously?
Cadillac Williams - might stay healthy for almost as many games as Fred Taylor has
Pierre Thomas - I just don't have any confidence in him anymore, and I'm not sure he'd be more than a backup for us.
Benson - adds nothing but maybe a poor attitude
Ronnie Brown - He's done.
Brandon Jacobs - basically BGE in a bigger package with far less ball security

If the Patriots think Tamba Hali and Vincent Jackson are great fits who will produce at a BEST-IN-THE-LEAGUE level similar to Wilfork's performance, then they will not shy away from paying them $10 million a year. if that's what needs to be done, there's no reason not to do it. The only question is whether they are great fits. Rivers didn't seem to miss a beat without Jackson so I'm a little leery there, and DEs moving to other teams has only worked like twice in a couple decades (Reggie White and Jared Allen).

The Patriots right now are full of young players with small contracts. If a player wants $10 million for 3 years, they could easily do it.

WR - To improve the WR corps, we'd need a guy who can run the entire route tree, but be especially good outside the numbers and in the deep zones (IOW, we don't really need yet another slot guy). The guys who are really any good ultimately won't end up going anywhere in FA.

WR - To improve the WR corps, we'd need a guy who can run the entire route tree, but be especially good outside the numbers and in the deep zones (IOW, we don't really need yet another slot guy). The guys who are really any good ultimately won't end up going anywhere in FA.

Don't underestimate AJ Smith's ego.

And while wanting WR's like that make perfect sense, the bottom line is that BB prefers smaller quick twitch guys that can create their own separation.

Down field BB wants to attack seams with TE's rather than WRs.

If the Patriots think Tamba Hali and Vincent Jackson are great fits who will produce at a BEST-IN-THE-LEAGUE level similar to Wilfork's performance, then they will not shy away from paying them $10 million a year. if that's what needs to be done, there's no reason not to do it. The only question is whether they are great fits. Rivers didn't seem to miss a beat without Jackson so I'm a little leery there, and DEs moving to other teams has only worked like twice in a couple decades (Reggie White and Jared Allen).

The Patriots right now are full of young players with small contracts. If a player wants $10 million for 3 years, they could easily do it.

I really can not see BB going the Mercedes route again, especially after Thomas and Springs nearly wrecked our locker room.

In my mind he will continue to build through the draft and and mid level, great locker room, high character veterans.

Clearly I see BB headed in this direction at RB, and maybe OLB this off season.

I would love to sign LaMarr Woodley, and I still believe NE should have drafted him, but he'll more than likely be wearing black and gold for years to come....shame.

I think Cunningham will continue to develop into a solid OLB, who will have an impact as a pass rusher, but adding one stud OLB to this roster (via draft or free agency) seems like a no-brainer. NE's D-line will improve next year, as Ty Warren and other injured players return, but they could also use a human wall at DE, to take some of the double and triple teams away from Wilfork. Honestly though, the Richard Seymour's of the world aren't all that easy to come by, and almost every team is looking for those players, so they get selected in the top 10-15.

Looking at the entire list of available free agents, I can't see all that many impact players who are going to be available, and willing to take the type of offer NE would likely put on the table. They'll likely pick up a few mid-level players, but I see them focusing heavily on the draft again this year. The problem there is that a lot of rookie's aren't going to have a huge impact, and Brady isn't getting any younger, but if NE can find the 2011 version's of Gronkowski and McCourty, they'll be in a solid position to contend for years to come.

"almost traded for him", which makes it sound like the Pats initiated that sequence of events, was the commonly repeated media theme based on a (perhaps wilful) misreading of the original report in the New Orleans paper. The original report made it sound like Payton (in desperate need of CB help because of injuries at the time) was trying to move Thomas (who he apparently dislikes) and approached the Pats, offering an even swap for Butler.

It was reported that the Pats "entered negotiations", which may mean nothing more than that they listened to Payton's proposal. And the "negotiations" ended, reportedly, when the Pats demanded (supposedly) a 3rd-rounder in addition to Thomas - which only makes sense to me in the context of Payton having initiated discussions rather than the Pats.

Anyway, I personally believe that Pierre Thomas has had his run (npi) and wouldn't really add much, if anything, to the Pats offense at this point.

Maine

Pierre Thomas also means someone like Pierre Thomas.

If healthy, don't you think a RB with those characteristics would have been handy last week?

And while wanting WR's like that make perfect sense, the bottom line is that BB prefers smaller quick twitch guys that can create their own separation.

Down field BB wants to attack seams with TE's rather than WRs.

When I'm talking about "deep zones", I mean deeper than TEs typically get and more outside the numbers than down the seams.

I don't think that "BB prefers smaller quick twitch guys" to the exclusion of guys who can work deep/sideline routes. Tate, Moss, Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson are just the most notable examples of attempts by BB to come up with a guy who can work deep/sideline. And it's not simply a matter of "stretching the field" vertically, but of spreading out the coverage generally and, at the very least, giving the defense something additional to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes