PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(Realistic) 2016 Draft Targets and Binkies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree a 2nd round pick is too high to spend on Braxton. Tremendous athlete with tremendous play making skills but just too raw to spend that kind of draft capital on.

Assuming there's no surprising huge move up to the early first round to get Laquon Treadwell (who i think is the next Andre Johnson) or Corey Coleman, a few names for the second round and on that may be of interest off the top of my head:

Sterling Shepard from Oklahoma: Great route runner for a college kid. Doesn't wow you physically with deep speed or his size, but gets open very well with his technique and quickness. Clutch set of hands too, can play inside or outside. Reminds me a lot of Deion Branch or an Emmanuel Sanders type.

Duke Williams from Auburn: Got kicked off the team this year but the guy is a monster. Fights for balls through coverage and is a tough S.O.B. over the middle. Extremely physical. Think next Anquan Boldin.

Jakeem Grant from Texas Tech: Lightning in a bottle. Home run threat every time he touches the ball. Only 5'7 but is tough and doesn't shy away from contact. Perfect guy to come here and play in the slot in this offense as he immediately creates separation and is so dangerous with the ball in his hands. I've seen him lineup outside too and beat guys on routes with his ability to stop and cut on a dime.

I assume there will be a decent outcry for a deep threat WR to stretch the field vertically, which would be a nice addition. Haven't done enough draft work yet to really have any suggestions there at that moment.

Assuming the robbery of our first round pick is consummated I have some thoughts, but they are more philosophical than specific. BTW- Great thread, I have learned a lot already.

1. This was a very good YOUNG team that has a LOT of good talent coming back off the IR. Since all our picks will be coming after #60, I doubt any draft pick we make is likely to make much of a first year impact on the 2016 team, especially in the first half of the season.

2. I think this should be a year of picking long shots. Guys coming off of injuries. Guys who are tweeners at their positions, and all round great athletes. This is not the year to pick grunts, over achievers, or guys who win with great motors. This will be a draft to find guys can become contributors in the 2017 and 18 seasons. This is the draft which should be called the "red-shirt draft"

3. And so begins the inevitable cry for WR's. I admit that Braxton Miller is an intriguing prospect, but one who will never last to us and even if we got him is unlikely to make an immediate impact. He has a LOT to learn about his position. Further NO one we draft at that position is going to be better in the 2016 season than Dobson, Tyms, Gibson, or even Harper and any FA we pick up.

4. We have invested draft capital (though none of it high) in our OL. How they evaluate Stork (can he be a dominant guy) Jackson, Mason, Fleming, Williams, (can they consistent starters in this league) will determine how much capital they spend on offensive linemen

5. RB is an interesting position. It is (IMO) the one position of immediate need. But we all know that THAT position can be found in a lot of places. Lewis and Blount are good starts, but what will a good off season by a dedicated Monte Ball or any of a dozen FA RB's that will be available. Good RB's who have made immediate impacts as rookies have come from all areas of the draft. If there is a guy they really like when they draft in the 2nd round, I wouldn't mind the pick.

6. Predictions - I will fall in love with EVERY 6'2 or taller CB in the draft. I really would like to find a LB similar to Danny Trevethin. Someone who can come in and be that speed LB on passing downs. Telvin Smith of the Jags is a good example of someone from last season's draft. We will sign Akeem Hicks. Dominic Easley will play in all 16 games next year and be a situational stud.

7. That TE who did the juke looks like a good prospect. I will NEVER be shocked to see BB stockpile TE prospects.

8. IIRC we will have 9 or 10 picks once the Comp picks are added. I'm thinking this draft reminds me a bit about the 2007 draft where we had a lot of really low picks to add to a stacked veteran team. Now this draft will be much more balanced even with the lost of our pick, but any pick we add will have a hard time making this team.

BTW- is there any doubt in your mind that the reason the league decided to wait until 2017 to allow teams to trade their comp picks, is because the Pats will like to have so many this season. Do they REALLY expect us to believe they are waiting the extra year so that teams can adjust to the impact of the new rule. :rolleyes:

Would have been nice to have a first round pick too. Thank you Bob for capitulating to the POS and your brother owners.

6'10" Arkansas OT Dan Skipper is my binkie.

Check out how he tosses some Texas Tech DE aside like a rag doll at 1:40 of this video:

Freak of the Week: Dan Skipper

I really would like to find a LB similar to Danny Trevethin. Someone who can come in and be that speed LB on passing downs. Telvin Smith of the Jags is a good example of someone from last season's draft.

Deion Jones of LSU is arguably that guy this year. Only 219lbs at the Senior Bowl weigh in but excellent in coverage, a special teams stud and flies to the ball in run support. Won't be an every down guy at that size but an ideal 3rd down linebacker.

Deion Jones of LSU is arguably that guy this year. Only 219lbs at the Senior Bowl weigh in but excellent in coverage, a special teams stud and flies to the ball in run support. Won't be an every down guy at that size but an ideal 3rd down linebacker.

I'd be very ok with the Pats getting themselves a tweener like that. The last couple years we keep seeing teams take these 220lb linebacker/safety hybrids, and the experts keep saying it's a reach, and every year, they prove their worth on the field. If we can get a slightly bigger version of Pat Chung who can play down in the box and cover, I think we'd have some very strategic advantages on 3rd down.

Any consideration given to selecting either Lee or Perry as LBs (obviously not in the same vein as Jones)?

I know that it's not going to come off as a terribly popular thought, but....1) we likely need to replace Mayo, 2) it would allow us to have quality depth in case Collins or HT become injured, 3) it would provide leverage over both during the expected contract negotiations, 4) there's no guarantee that BOTH are staying, as much as we hope they do, and finally 5) it's already a position of need.

Any consideration given to selecting either Lee or Perry as LBs (obviously not in the same vein as Jones)?

I know that it's not going to come off as a terribly popular thought, but....1) we likely need to replace Mayo, 2) it would allow us to have quality depth in case Collins or HT become injured, 3) it would provide leverage over both during the expected contract negotiations, 4) there's no guarantee that BOTH are staying, as much as we hope they do, and finally 5) it's already a position of need.

1) we definitely need to replace Mayo. As much as we all love the guy, I think injuries are finally starting to add up, regardless of what he gets paid eventually.

2) LB depth is a must. It'll be interesting to see how our backups grow next year (can anyone seize a starting role next to DH and JC?). We all saw how bad we got exposed versus the run when DH and JC were out this year, or playing at less than 100%.

Spikes wasted a perfect opportunity to come in and be that #3 in the base defense, a role that would have suited him perfectly. I'd be looking for that kind of LB this offseason, because if they're putting that extra LB on the field then we know it's because they're really trying to stuff the run. When we get talking about 219 pound linebackers, I'd just put Chung in the box instead.

I don't think Lee will fall to us which is why I didn't' the consider him. As for Perry, he doesn't strike me as athletic enough to be a coverage linebacker. He looks good against the run and might actually be a better fit in terms of what BB looks for from a linebacker but with regards to Deion Jones, the brief was a coverage linebacker. If I was betting money on which one of the three BB would draft, it would be Perry.

Spikes wasted a perfect opportunity to come in and be that #3 in the base defense, a role that would have suited him perfectly. I'd be looking for that kind of LB this offseason, because if they're putting that extra LB on the field then we know it's because they're really trying to stuff the run. When we get talking about 219 pound linebackers, I'd just put Chung in the box instead.

There was a specific question about who the best "speed linebacker" was. I offered can my opinion. Having said that, this defense does need some speed on it so I'm not opposed to the idea of adding some.

Jakeem Grant just ran his 40 yard dash in the 4.1 s. He has moves like you have never seen. I think if you could run a package to get him the ball in space he will be the next Wes welker and then some.

My binkie for a long time has been Sterling Shepard - WR. And people who know me on this board know I don't usually have prize binkie WRs and tend to like to build D first.

However everything about this guy screams Patriots to me as far as toughness, quickness, clutch and hands but he also has the outside speed and he seems like he is being underrated due to being 5'10 which is not a big deal to me.

I doubt he will pick him but i really like him.

On offense there is no TE i really think is great but a few guys worth a shot, OL is always good but I'd be looking for a 2nd round OT or nothing. For RBs just wait on that spot.

On defense I'd be open to picking anything but the pass rush and backup LB could use help. I wouldn't mind another DE or DT however finding top pass rush talent on the DL in the 2nd is very hard to do. A few CB options would be nice but we are not too bad at CB and we are all set at safety cause Richards is the 4th and i honestly like how he flashed last year.

I am going to really start getting in depth after another week when FA has mostly died down and i have a better idea where long term needs are.

Last edited:

Yannick Ngakoue is my binky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing