PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(Realistic) 2016 Draft Targets and Binkies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simple Jack's Brother

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I know we've got a couple FA and quasi-Draft threads going, but given that the scouting cycle is still fairly young for NFL fans, I doubt many of us have had a chance to look collectively at the names who may be on the Pats draftboard.

So gentlemen and gentleladies, who are you man crushing on this draft offseason and who the Pats might realistically be thinking about for rounds 2-5 (or later)?

(Mods, feel free to merge if you see fit)

Last edited:
Heard rumors that New England is interested in Braxton Miller as a 2nd-3rd round player. Would have many similarities to Edelman coming out of college.

Heard rumors that New England is interested in Braxton Miller as a 2nd-3rd round player. Would have many similarities to Edelman coming out of college.

My only issue with Miller is that not having a 1st round pick means we need to hit on our 2nd rounder....feel like Miller might be a little. Great athlete though no doubt and has the QB background.

I don't expect anything sexy this year. Our roster is pretty damn stocked so it's probably Best Player Available every time we pick. I would expect the usual:

- OL-to-groom
- LB-to-groom with ST value today

And then add in a mix of a WR, TE and DT/DE.

Elite athleticism though. I would support that pick.

Elite athleticism though. I would support that pick.

In the space of a year Braxton Miller has gone from never having played the position to being the best WR at the Senior Bowl. I like his odds. If he's there with our second pick I'm all in on Miller (I don't think he will be). With his athleticism, experience at QB and intelligence, Miller could become a great NFL WR.

Has been my #1 guy from the start.

Last edited:
In the space of a year Braxton Miller has gone from never having played the position to being the best WR at the Senior Bowl. I like his odds. If he's there with our second pick I'm all in on Miller (I don't think he will be). With his athleticism, experience at QB and intelligence, Miller could become a great NFL WR.

Do you see him as more of a slot WR, outside WR, or ability to do both?

Do you see him as more of a slot WR, outside WR, or ability to do both?

He has the quickness to play the slot but has shown an ability to beat press so that he can play outside too. So both, although probably the slot initially as his beating the press is still an in-progress improvement. My one concern with him, and this is only that it's not really been demonstrated yet, is how good he is at catching the ball, something that will probably show up in the Senior Bowl game and the combine.

He has the quickness to play the slot but has shown an ability to beat press so that he can play outside too. So both, although probably the slot initially as his beating the press is still an in-progress improvement. My one concern with him, and this is only that it's not really been demonstrated yet, is how good he is at catching the ball, something that will probably show up in the Senior Bowl game and the combine.

That's good to know...the other item i've seen thrown around is that he's already 24, so i'm curious if the Pats or other teams will have concern.

It'll be interesting to see what his measurables are at the combine.

Another guy i've seen mentioned recently is Kenyan Drake out of Alabama. He's 6'1"/210lbs with great burst, hands and averaged over 6yds per carry...if he's at the 2nd or 3rd round level, i wonder if he catches the Pats eyes.

Daniel Jeremiah on Braxton Miller:

Ohio State WR Braxton Miller was the most explosive player in Mobile. While he's still learning the nuances of the position, it was impossible to ignore his suddenness in his release as well as his ability to find another gear when the ball is in the air. He will need some work as a route runner, (he's trying to incorporate three moves when one will do) but he doesn't have any physical limitations. He made one ridiculous catch on the sideline where he completely spun around and plucked the ball away from his frame. That was all I needed to see. He's going to figure it all out at the next level and he's going to be a stud

Carson Wentz solidifies standing as first-rounder at Senior Bowl - NFL.com

A couple of other names to consider.

1. LSU linebacker Deion Jones. Very undersized for a Patriots linebacker at 219lbs but BB has been looking at smaller linebackers in recent years. Jones is outstanding in coverage and very quick flowing to the ball in the run game. He's also supposed to be a special teams stud. However, he is getting lofty top 100 grades which may be too rich for an undersized linebacker

2. Jerrell Adams, TE, S Carolina. Only 244 lbs but is tall and long (34" arms) is athletic and was talked about as the best inline blocking TE at the Senior Bowl.

Shows some athleticism (if Vine doesn't automatically start, tap it once or twice).

That's good to know...the other item i've seen thrown around is that he's already 24, so i'm curious if the Pats or other teams will have concern.

It'll be interesting to see what his measurables are at the combine.

Another guy i've seen mentioned recently is Kenyan Drake out of Alabama. He's 6'1"/210lbs with great burst, hands and averaged over 6yds per carry...if he's at the 2nd or 3rd round level, i wonder if he catches the Pats eyes.

He's certainly a possibility but he's not really an inside runner and with White and Lewis on the team that's a lot of 3rd down backs. My personal favourite is Jonathan Williams of Arkansas. Has that 220lb size BB likes and personally, based upon his 2014 film I'd have given him a borderline 1st round grade. However, because he missed all of 2015 because of injury he could possibly be had late day two/early day three. Potentially excellent value.

He's certainly a possibility but he's not really an inside runner and with White and Lewis on the team that's a lot of 3rd down backs. My personal favourite is Jonathan Williams of Arkansas. Has that 220lb size BB likes and personally, based upon his 2014 film I'd have given him a borderline 1st round grade. However, because he missed all of 2015 because of injury he could possibly be had late day two/early day three. Potentially excellent value.

Appreciate the info...hoping we get some good value in the middle of the draft. Would agree though, we really do need an inside runner and wasn't sure if Drake could hit the hole inside.

Adams could be a really interesting add if he can put on some weight. Obviously it all depends on where the chips fall.

I can't see him being there and doubt they would trade up for him. I would love the pick though.

Appreciate the info...hoping we get some good value in the middle of the draft. Would agree though, we really do need an inside runner and wasn't sure if Drake could hit the hole inside.

Adams could be a really interesting add if he can put on some weight. Obviously it all depends on where the chips fall.

I don't know if he really needs to add that much weight. Keep his athleticism to play the slot but he has the ability to block inline so that he can still be a part of the run game.

I can't see him being there and doubt they would trade up for him. I would love the pick though.

It's still possible. Randall Cobb went at the end of the second round although Miller is bigger and more athletic. However, if Miller runs low 4.3, all bets are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes