PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ratings: 98.5 passes WEEI; TV: Pats games on record pace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Sellers

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Since more than a few people here are infatuated with the local media and their opinions, I just thought it would be appropriate to point out Why 98.5 is taking it to WEEI in the ratings game

On a side note the Patriots Ratings Continue Strong On Local TV

The Patriots are on a record-setting pace for HH ratings through nine weeks in their designated market area with an average 31.9 HH rating. In addition, New England’s eight regular season games are the eight most-watched television programs in the Boston area since football season began.

This season, the Patriots have also been part of two record-setting NFL broadcasts. New England’s 23-20 overtime victory over Baltimore on Sunday, Oct. 17 helped CBS set the mark for the highest rating for its single-game window since it acquired the current AFC package in 1998. The Patriots-Jets game on Sunday, Sept. 19 was the most watched September CBS game ever.

This cracked me up,
I stopped listening to the big show when it became a political forum for Scott Brown. Steve DeAwful & Fred Smartass have as much intelligence as a stale oyster cracker.

its funny when stuttering Steve thinks he won an argument because he says he did.
I do like it when Deossie talks serious football and doesnt argue with the callers, I think I spend too much time in my car :bricks:

Last edited:
the raitings are once again another reason for these dummies to get this deal done and not have a lockout next year...

As a poster on that thread pointed out, the writer got stuff wrong like the Big Show inventing the Whiner Line (Ordway stole it from his sister station cohort, Howie Carr). I do agree with his assessment of DeOssie (which extends to Ordway too) of them trying to walk over callers to prove them wrong (DeOssie is the king of "How did that work in 2007 (or 2004 or 2003 or 2001" to shoot down callers arguments).

I think the writer gives too much credit to Felger and Mazz (although I think they are significantly better than the Big Show). I think they just benefit from competing with an outdate show format that is becoming about as relevant and fresh as giving turkey gobbles to idiot sports stars the day before Thanksgiving (yes, I am going Eddie Edelman old school on your arses). The Big Show sets the bar really low (about an inch off the ground) and Felger and Mazz barely clear it.

Last edited:
Felger ...... oh God!

The same way I feel about Ordway. As bad as Felger is (I used to like the guy even when he was contrarian, but he has become to redundant), he doesn't use his show to fuel his massive ego like Ordway does by putting on idiot callers to get into a battle of wits.

Last edited:
Say what you want about Felger - he may be boorish, his opinions might be wrong as humanly possible at times - but the man knows how to host a show. He really does. His show is focused, well-run, well-informed, with good discussions and good callers. Felger & Mazz always make a concerted effort to learn as much as they can about a subject. I mean, take Mazz for instance, I don't think he really knows jack about football - but he at least works at it and stays informed. I would wager a bet those two guys spend time reading patsfans or patriotsplanet, etc. (in fact, I think on air they have both referenced they spend a lot of time reading forums). Which makes a difference, and leads to better discussions with callers.

They do not purposely attract the old, senile drunk men that WEEI takes as callers just to avoid the possibility of a well-informed caller exposing the Big O and his guests for their lack of sports knowledge.

98.5 is just better.

Last edited:
They do not purposely attract the old, senile drunk men that WEEI takes as callers just to avoid the possibility of a well-informed caller exposing the Big O and his guests for their lack of sports knowledge.
I hardly consider Paul Perillo an idiot. As for the others .....

How anyone can stand that 98.5 morning show is beyond me. It's pure garbage. Felger and Mazz makes me want to scratch my eyes out. Hockey talk makes me puke. The big show is the big whine. Dennis and Callahan do spend too much time on politics. The only show really worth listening to is Dale and Holley on WEEI.

I hardly consider Paul Perillo an idiot. As for the others .....

Perillo is great, IMO...but I meant the callers, not the guest hosts. Besides, I've heard Perillo on 98.5 recently, is he still doing an EEI gig from time to time? Haven't heard him over there in a while. Personally, I'd love to see Mazz replaced with a guy like Perillo. He has a similar demeanor that meshes well with Felger, but has more a lot more knowledge - not just on football.

Last edited:
Perillo is great, IMO...but I meant the callers, not the guest hosts. Besides, I've heard Perillo on 98.5 recently, is he still doing an EEI gig from time to time? Haven't heard him over there in a while. Personally, I'd love to see Mazz replaced with a guy like Perillo. He has a similar demeanor that meshes well with Felger, but has more a lot more knowledge - not just on football.
Perillo is on Patriots Football Weekly now.
You can listen to him online here: PFW in Progress - 11/10/2010

not trying to prove the caller wrong with semantics.

That has long been my criticism of the big show. Not just with the guests but with each other. They pick out some technicality and argue over each other endlessly about it.

I don't agree with a lot of what Felger spouts but he will admit when he's been wrong and he's consistent and will call himself out saying he missed the boat on a topic, unlike a certain fence sitter.

One other thing that has to factor in is that there are a lot of FM transmitters that don't do AM, which means if you want your sports then 98.5 is pretty much your only option. But I have to say I like that there is competition. Though I was hoping to listen to something in the morning other than friggin D&C, but Toucher & Rich are too juvenile for my tastes.

Well, that article was a waste of time. It completely ignored the real reason behind the improved ratings. Since that was supposed to be the reason behind the column, that's a pretty epic failure. Focusing on secondary reasons just made for a poor column.

Last edited:
The big show is bad....real bad. A bunch of blockheads trying to talk over each other. Whiner line is stupid as well...

Well, that article was a waste of time. It completely ignored the real reason behind the improved ratings.
Actually, the author addresses and rejects your opinion, unless your unspecified "real reason" is something noone else can come up with. He identifies what his opinion says is the real reason for 98.5 passing WEEI, the comparative quality of Felger vs. Big Show. If you have listened to both recently it's tough to argue with him.

Last edited:
This is funny, I've been saying most of this to myself in the car as I've found myself more often then not switching to 98.5 then WEEI

I RARELY listen to Dennis & Callahan anymore (Tom Brady monday mornings is the only must listen) as i feel they ABUSE their airtime trying to push their political agendas on anyone and everyone. Sorry but not what I want to listen too first thing in the morning. They're getting desperate as they are increasingly out of touch by the day. I heard they we're bringing Kathryn Tappen in as the third co-host. At least go out with some dignity as this move is clearly signaling the end of these two Dinosaurs.

Dale and Holley i still think is the best show out of Both stations so I find myself almost listening to them exclusively rather then listen to Gresh & Zo.

I used to be a Big Show guy, listened to them everyday but they have gotten STALE and they miss Pete Sheppard DESPERATLY. What a horrendous move to get rid of him. He carried the show on slow days and made it entertaining. I probably listen to Felger and Mazz 80% of the time and that percentage seems to go up a little bit by the week.

Not sure what WEEI can do besides paying the dough and bringing Sheppard back, but STALE is the key word with the exception of Dale & Holley. Just my two cents...

they miss Pete Sheppard DESPERATLY
I was happy to see him go, but I now realize that he was fulfilling a role the show thinks it needs. I'd rather eliminate that role completely, but at least he did a relatively good job at it and the show has suffered since his departure.

Felger has gotten better lately, but I am wary that he forms his opinions mostly by gauging fan sentiment and calculating what his opinion should be accordingly. But he currently gets more of my listening time than the Big Show.

Not sure what WEEI can do besides paying the dough and bringing Sheppard back, but STALE is the key word with the exception of Dale & Holley. Just my two cents...

I find D&C pretty insufferable when they don't have a guest on - but the simulcast on NESN is only going to help their cause. WEEI was smart about that one, they have been getting killed recently with 98.5 having all the hype of late - the NESN simulcast is a good move to try and swing things the other way.

That said, it may pay short term dividends, but I don't know about long term.

Actually, the author addresses and rejects your opinion, unless your unspecified "real reason" is something noone else can come up with. He identifies what his opinion says is the real reason for 98.5 passing WEEI, the comparative quality of Felger vs. Big Show. If you have listened to both recently it's tough to argue with him.

I listen to both. He blew the article.

The main reason 98.5 has done well is that the Patriots have struggled more in the past 2 seasons than they had appeared to do for several years prior when 'viable' challengers were around. Since 98.5 focuses much more on negatives, it attracts the sort of people who rally around that.

Felger is a crap stirrer. When times are tough, people gravitate to that sort of message. If the Patriots were coming off of a great year and off to a dominating start, 98.5 would be a ghost station except when games were being played.

Yes, it helps that 98.5 is an FM station. Yes, it helps that some people are tired of the WEEI format (that's just fatigue, and it happens with every program. M*A*S*H eventually went off the air, after all). Yes, it helps that some people were pretty much captive to WEEI before, although their numbers were obviously small, given the failures of the earlier competition. Yes, it helps that they're talking a bit of hockey (of course, that's mostly because the Bruins are finally worth mentioning again, after over a decade of being nothing).

But let's not fool ourselves. 98.5 is doing well because Felger's negative positions are echoing the feelings of more Patriots and Red Sox fans. It's sure as hell not because the programming's of any quality. Felger is the worst daytime radio host on either station, after all, and Mazz is little more than his lapdog on that show.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back