Ranking the Belichick & Brady Era Play-Off Losses:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyped

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
How would you rank our 11 play-off losses in the Belichick & Brady era?

List of losses:

2005 Divisional @ Broncos - Ben Watson strip-shoulda-been-a-touchback game.
2006 AFC Title Game @ Colts - Hobbs phantom PI game.
2007 Superbowl vs. Giants - Helmet catch...nuff' said.
2009 Wild Card vs. Ravens - Ray Rice opens the game with a big run.
2010 Divisional vs. Jets - Chung's fake punt call game.
2011 Superbowl vs. Giants - Manningham catch when Chung cheated a bit inside.
2012 AFC Title Game vs. Ravens - Boldin was unstoppable over and over again.
2013 AFC Title Game @ Broncos - Wes Welker taking Talib out of the game.
2015 AFC Title Game @ Broncos - Vollmer on a bad leg at LT and Brady gets hit over and over again...and Ghost's missed PAT!
2017 Superbowl vs. Eagles - 505 passing yards and the Pats D couldn't make 1 friggin' stop.....
2019 Wild Card vs. Titans - 13 points scored by the offense with the inability to punch it in from the 1 on 3 tries.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

My rankings:

2006 AFC Title Game @ Colts - Being up 21-3 at the half after we somehow got by the Chargers really hurt the next day.
2007 Superbowl vs. Giants - Yeah, we blew an undefeated season and Seau a chance at a ring, but it didn't hurt as much as the '06 title game.
2017 Superbowl vs. Eagles - Blowing a 505 yard passing performance hurt a lot.
2011 Superbowl vs. Giants - I thought it would be a revenge tour for Myra Kraft....this sucked.
2010 Divisional vs. Jets - Man, this sucked....at the time Rex Ryan was 3-2 against us despite us winning 45-3 a few weeks back.
2015 AFC Title Game @ Broncos - Man, this sucked....only a 2 point loss...but the team had ran out of gas by then.
2012 AFC Title Game vs. Ravens - Terrell Suggs being a POS yelling into our locker room post-game.
2005 Divisional Game @ Broncos - Brady's 1st play-off loss.
2013 AFC Title Game @ Broncos - I knew we were cooked once Talib left the game. Just short manned.
2019 Wild Card vs. Titans - Was hoping the Pats would turn it on....but nope...
2009 Wild Card vs. Ravens - We were cooked when Wekler went down the week before in Houston.

On the brighter side, we only have 11 of these losses to discuss with 3 of them being Superbowls & 4 of them being AFC title games!

Tom Brady's career:

20 years.
18 years as the starter.
17 years winning the AFC East/Earning A Play-Off Berth = 94.44%
13 AFC Title Games = 72.2%
9 Superbowls = 50%
6 Championships = 33%

What do you mean ranked- by worst loss, most annoying loss, best game, ?

I was over this year’s loss and even the Eagles SB quickly. Didn’t think we were that good in 05 either so I was over that one quickly too.

The game that shall not be named lingered for a very long time for obvious reasons. So did the the Jets loss. Pats had no business losing that one.

The Colts loss stung but honestly Pats had no business beating the Chargers the week before.

Before that era but the 97 loss to the Steelers annoyed me too because it was the Steelers and we lost by a score of 7-6.

So did SB31 because imo that was a winnable game if Parcells mind wasn’t elsewhere.

I think the great thing is we can actually create this thread and have ton of wins among them. Lets hope 20 yrs later we are able to create such threads :)

The Titans loss is probably the least painful of them. The top would be

1) Giants 07
2) Colts 06
3) Broncos 15
4) Jets 10
5) Giants 11

Going from most difficult to get over to least. Tier 1:

SB 42 (no explanation needed).
2010 - Extra tough given how insufferable that Jets team was.
Colts in 2006 - We probably were lucky to be there, but it felt like we were absolutely going to beat Chicago the next week, and up until that point we had permanent residence in Manning's head. I almost felt bad for him after the pick six that put us up 21-3. I hated losing that dominance.

Tier 2:
The other super bowl losses, hard not to be disappointed greatly by getting that close.

Tier 3:
All the others, with last place solidly going to the Ravens in 2009. I hate the Ravens, but we were 10-6, just lost Welker, and it was Brady's first year back from injury. I never felt like we were meant to go far that year.

List of losses:
Your a pretty negative person, but having to wallow and submerge yourself in all of the playoff losses seems a bit extreme even for you. Are you going through withdrawls because you can't forecast another up coming loss this weekend?

Why focus on the negative. You play long enough (and it doesn't take long), you'll have games you lose. The reason they sting is because you know it was within reach and came up short. usually 1-3 plays is enough to make a big difference i na game and the other guys get paid to win too.

The 18 - 1 season loss was the worst.

So much on the line.

What do you mean by ranking?

The ones they played the best in?

Before that era but the 97 loss to the Steelers annoyed me too because it was the Steelers and we lost by a score of 7-6.

So did SB31 because imo that was a winnable game if Parcells mind wasn’t elsewhere.
Todd Collins easing off on Kordell still bothers me 22 years later!

Your a pretty negative person, but having to wallow and submerge yourself in all of the playoff losses seems a bit extreme even for you. Are you going through withdrawls because you can't forecast another up coming loss this weekend?

To each his own, but I feel that this is a positive thread as I was immediately over the loss on Sunday with it ranking 10 out of 11 on my list. And we are very privileged to only have 11 playoff losses in twenty years. The Bills have two in twenty years with zero wins!

Why focus on the negative. You play long enough (and it doesn't take long), you'll have games you lose. The reason they sting is because you know it was within reach and came up short. usually 1-3 plays is enough to make a big difference i na game and the other guys get paid to win too.

You always remember the losses more than the wins. I see it as a testimony as to how close we were in many years where we didn't reach the top of the mountain. In 7 of 11 losses, we were at least in the final four...

What do you mean by ranking?

The ones they played the best in?

#1 being the one you hated the most having to get out of bed the next day and move on with your life.

The worst loss, as in most inexcusable, was last Saturday night. 12-4, "dominant" defense, greatest quarterback of all time, savior first round pick receiver, at home. Playing against a 9-7 club that had to fight tooth and nail for one half against a team not playing its starters JUST to make the playoffs.
It was made FURTHER the most inexcusable in team playoff history because the team could have had a bye and should not have even been playing wild card round. At home, against a team you beat 43-0 earlier in the season ON THE ROAD. All you have to do is come out and NOT give Miami hope. Come out, score a couple TDs against a 4 win team ready to head South with the busses warmed up...BUT NO! The quarterbacl goes 3 plays 5 yards PUNT, 5 plays 34 yards PUNT, 2 plays ZERO yards INTERCEPTION....and before you know it, the quarterback has his club down 10-0.
Then what happened? The quarterback decides to get his head out his arse, stop pouting about Antonio Brown and his lack of WEAPONZ, and he puts together THREE long touchdown drives! Mary, Mother of God, how did he do it? So then the greatest of all time quarterback puts it solely in the hands of the Boogeymen - that HISTORIC defense that so many posters on here told us would lead the Patriots to another Super Bowl win.
What did the Boogeymen do? Hmmm, they surrendered a 4 minute touchdown drive to RYAN FITZPATRICK in which the Boogeymen got NO PRESSURE, and Fitzmagic orchestrates a 75 yard td drive (all passing). The Boogeymen defense allowed Fitzpatrick to go 9-12 for 75 yards with a bye week on the line.
OK, so they blew it vs Miami...so Brady and his band of superstars should come out, loaded for bear....the Boogeymen are going to shut down everything, right? Nope...Brady submits another stinker in a long line of stink this season, the "historic" Boogeymen Defense allow a 9-7 team on the road to go 50% on third down and give up over 200 yards on the ground. But, it gets better, with the GAME AND SEASON on the line...its 3d and 8 from the Tennessee 15.....get a stop here and Pats get the ball back at their 40 at the WORST and the greatest quarterback of all time with the savior first round wide receiver just have to move the ball 25 yards for a decent chance at a Nick Folk game winner - I mean that's pitch and catch for Brady and Harry, right? They most likely have the 2 minute warning AND a timeout in their pocket. BUT NO.....Terrence freaking Brooks, who's only on the team because Belichick has impure thoughts at back up defensive backs who play special teams....can't cover a tight end with 14 catches on the season...game, set, match...
First and goal from the one...don't have confidence in the quarterback to attempt a pass, can't run it in....just pathetic
Don't even get me started on trying the ****ing punt block bullschitt.....
Last Saturday was easily the worst and most embarrassing loss of Brady's playoff career. It fulfilled so many narratives (rightly or wrongly) - that Brady is falling off a cliff, the defense is overrated, the offense sucks, Harry is terrible, they needed Antonio Brown, the special teams are overrated (how many times did they try to block a punt, not send anyone back to receive, fail, and lose 15-20 yards field position?)...

List of losses:

1) 2007 Superbowl vs. Giants - Helmet catch...nuff' said.
Missed the chance for immortality and to shut up Shula and his decrepit player bozos. And would have immediately ended the "can't win anything since spygate". Easily, definitely the worst.

2) 2006 AFC Title Game @ Colts - Hobbs phantom PI game.
Tough call on whether to put this or 2017 second. Ultimately went with this because of effing Goober.

3) 2017 Superbowl vs. Eagles - 505 passing yards and the Pats D couldn't make 1 friggin' stop.....
So close to winning, and it would have allowed SB53 to be three in a row for NE, which has never been done.

4) 2010 Divisional vs. Jets - Chung's fake punt call game.
That team was stacked. Great chance of winning it all if they didn't choke. And to Ryan and the Jets!

5) 2005 Divisional @ Broncos - Ben Watson strip-shoulda-been-a-touchback game.
Sucked to see the playoff consecutive win streak end.

6) 2012 AFC Title Game vs. Ravens - Boldin was unstoppable over and over again.
Losing to the Ravens always sucks.

7) 2011 Superbowl vs. Giants - Manningham catch when Chung cheated a bit inside.
I was mentally prepared for a loss once Pollard cheapshotted Gronk back in the AFCCG. Sucks that it was to the Giants again.

8) 2009 Wild Card vs. Ravens - Ray Rice opens the game with a big run.
Never really felt good about that team, which the BB documentary confirmed.

9) 2015 AFC Title Game @ Broncos - Vollmer on a bad leg at LT and Brady gets hit over and over again...and Ghost's missed PAT!
Hurt to lose to the corpse of Goober, and it hurt to see what was a great season at the start go down the tubes, but I'd already made my peace with a loss after all those injuries made the team run out of gas.

10) 2013 AFC Title Game @ Broncos - Wes Welker taking Talib out of the game.
Annoying that it was to Goober, but NE would have been murdered by Seattle if they had gone to the SB.

11) 2019 Wild Card vs. Titans - 13 points scored by the offense with the inability to punch it in from the 1 on 3 tries.
Likewise, NE was going nowhere and was going to lose to KC even if they had pulled it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News