PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random thoughts going through my head

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackglass3

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Our team, again, showed up small in a big game. Going through the team: The depleted DL seemed to be the only ones playing really hard, and it just wasn't enough. The LB's were lackluster at best...the middle of the field was wide open Where was Spikes the whole first half? CB's; Devin McCourty must be feared, since it seemed like they rarely threw at him. But Butler and Arrington looked like chumps tonight. Arrington has been playing over his head all season, I guess this is what happens when those types come back to earth. Can Bodden fill that hole next year? S's; James Sanders was another that came back to earth after a pretty great season. Chung was good (I don't fault him for the fake punt, what a STUPID play with 1:30 left in the half), I really don't remember much about him. The 1st and 2nd year players, like I was worried about, looked like they were awestruck/nervous/something this whole game. Maybe it's the growing pains of a young team, I don't know. Now, Brandon Meriweather. Ugh. I have been pulling for him all season, but I give up. Getting dragged into the end zone was my breaking point. I get you're going for the strip, but there gets to be a point where just tackling is ok. Try it. I bought his jersey when he was drafted and have worn it almost every game. Since then; 18-1, Brady's ACL tear, Ravens b!tchslapping us at home, Jets b!tchslapping us at home. Call me superstitious or whatever, but it is currently sitting in my trashcan. We need a real safety. He can stay for now, but please draft a replacement. If by some miracle a new CBA is in place before the draft, trade him to the highest bidder. He is not going to be another Rodney, Ed Reed, or Polamalu. He's at his peak. Sad.

Offense: The OL keeps screwing us in big games, and I am tired of it. Besides Volmer and Mankins, they are expendable. I've had it with them letting Brady get clobbered when it matters most. The TE's looked like, well, rookies. I said before the game that I was nervous about these 1st and 2nd year players, and I was sickeningly right. WTF happened to Hernandez? Why did Gronk's first catch come in the 3rd? How did Crumpler drop that TD? Ugh, terrible. The RB's played pretty well. BJGE always seemed to produce, and Woodhead was fine, but covered really well. They learned their lesson from the last game, and weren't going to let Woodhead beat them again. Tonight was the very first time I said "Boy, I wish we still had Randy Moss." I know it's been touched on in other threads, so I won't get into it. But the Jets had no one deep, because they didn't need to. Welker and Branch are fine going into next year. Edelman looked like the one guy out there who actually cared, and played well. Tate needs work but I thought he did ok...that pass he missed was on Brady IMHO. And his endaround was good. But we're missing something.

Now for Brady. I love Tom Brady; I even put his name in the "from" part on some of my boys Christmas gifts. I want my sons to see him as part human, part mythical figure. But Brady sucked tonight. Where was the Brady from Pitt yelling "we need to be perfect on every play!"? You know, the QB who is probably going to be named MVP in a couple weeks. Because all I saw was some guy who was going through the motions. I imagine getting sacked 5 times doesn't help, but still...Tom looked like he could have cared less. All that sh!t they talked all week, and that's how our team leader comes out? Tom is morphing into Peyton Manning (on the field). Great regular season QB, but someone we cannot count on in playoff games. Before I get bashed, ask yourself when Tom's last good playoff game was? 07 vs. Jacksonville. Before that? SB39, maybe that Jets Wild Card game in 06. It's depressing that the guy who was so clutch in the past isn't playing like that anymore.

And finally the coaching. Hated the fake punt call. Hated it. You don't do that with 1:30 left in the half. I am all for gutsy playcalling, but that was just trying to be way too cute and blew up in our faces. Also, I HATE when we get down and immediatley ditch the running game. BJGE was running well, let him get a few more chances. I also miss the bubble screens to guys. Everyone used to catch those; Wes, Stallworth, Moss, Gaffney. I think Edleman has 2 today, and that was it. Branch and Welker are quick, get them moving in traffic and get a few yards.

Sorry if this post bothers anyone. I am not trying to bash any players unnecessarily, I am just giving my overly emotional post game thoughts. I was trying to explain to my older son how sometimes the right person/people don't always win. Today in Foxboro, thuggery and unmitigated trash talk prevailed. The bully won. And it is sickening.

Loved the playcalling on the first drive, went to crap from there on.

I could not agree more with your observations. Exactly how I feel as well, especially about Brady.

I could not agree more with your observations. Exactly how I feel as well, especially about Brady.

hahaha..you have waited 8 weeks to say this about brady

Edit: :eek: Chung called for the fake punt? Pat Chung, the second year safety gets to call for fake punts? That's even worse that BB calling it. How do you empower a 2nd year player to do things like that? So Wes Welker can't have a practical joke press conference, but Patrick F'ing Chung (who I love as a player) can call a fake punt AT THE END OF THE HALF? Jesus, why not let section 223 call a series?

That is just ridiculous. :mad:

Edit: :eek: Chung called for the fake punt? Pat Chung, the second year safety gets to call for fake punts? That's even worse that BB calling it. How do you empower a 2nd year player to do things like that? So Wes Welker can't have a practical joke press conference, but Patrick F'ing Chung (who I love as a player) can call a fake punt AT THE END OF THE HALF? Jesus, why not let section 223 call a series?

7 blockers against 6 man on the defensive line. If Chung catches the ball, it's a first down 90% of the time.

Couldn't agree more. Inexperienced players shouldn't have that leeway especially in a big game/big situation like today.CRAZY.

7 blockers against 6 man on the defensive line. If Chung catches the ball, it's a first down 90% of the time.

Yeah but anything can happen. Botched snaps are always a concern or else why wouldn't more teams go for it on 4th and 1 on their own side of the field. I mean, the odds are in your favor of getting the first down.

My only thought is when are we gonna get our next Super Bowl? Will Brady be here for that? Time is running out.

My only thought is when are we gonna get our next Super Bowl? Will Brady be here for that? Time is running out.

I said before this season even started that the 2011-2012 season was going to be great. I thought we'd get an extra one in before that, but I guess not. Personnel wasn't the biggest problem today, execution was. No reason the same team with a few added rookies can't win 14 games and the Super Bowl next year. As long as Light and Mankins (and maybe GWarren) are back, the sky is the limit.

hahaha..you have waited 8 weeks to say this about brady

I love Brady, I sat there tonight wearing a Brady jersey watching this debacle. But if we are going to praise him for the 3 rings and the record breaking seasons, we also have to be honest when he screws the pooch. He looked horrible tonight. He looked horrible last year as well. In fact the last few seasons I can remember more bad playoff performances than good ones.

I thought this was his best year ever. The man hasn't thrown a pick since what, October? But he throws one tonight? What is that?

We've become Colts fans talking about regular season stats and MVP's. What's next, more days in first place?

It just sickens me that we have become what we used to make fun of. What else can we do? And it's not like we've had playoff losses where we've played well and come up a little short. 2006 AFCCG, SB 42, Last year, this year have been total kicks in the balls.

I agree. There has been no reason to say anything about Brady. This Brady rarely shows up. However, lately, he seems to show up in the most important games. Which game was more important...the one where he was fired up on Thxgiving, or tonight? You've had 2 weeks off to get pumped for this one, Tom. Rex called you out, Cromartie called you out. And THAT is how you respond?

The guy is the highest paid QB in the league. If his favorite ring is "the next one", he needs to play like it.

I love Brady, I sat there tonight wearing a Brady jersey watching this debacle. But if we are going to praise him for the 3 rings and the record breaking seasons, we also have to be honest when he screws the pooch. He looked horrible tonight. He looked horrible last year as well. In fact the last few seasons I can remember more bad playoff performances than good ones.

I thought this was his best year ever. The man hasn't thrown a pick since what, October? But he throws one tonight? What is that?

We've become Colts fans talking about regular season stats and MVP's. What's next, more days in first place?

It just sickens me that we have become what we used to make fun of. What else can we do? And it's not like we've had playoff losses where we've played well and come up a little short. 2006 AFCCG, SB 42, Last year, this year have been total kicks in the balls.

I agree overall but not on the 2006 AFCCG. I was just glad to be there at that point. That was a true smoke and mirrors team, especially on offense. We were in no way considered the favorites that year.

Brady looked plenty fired up to me. I saw him mouth at least one F-bomb on a failed 3rd down play. Of the three game-swinging plays (Crump drop, Chung fumble, Branch drop), only the Branch drop was a bad pass, and even that went right through Branch's arms. He wasn't great, but he wasn't the problem either.

Brady looked plenty fired up to me. I saw him mouth at least one F-bomb on a failed 3rd down play. Of the three game-swinging plays (Crump drop, Chung fumble, Branch drop), only the Branch drop was a bad pass, and even that went right through Branch's arms. He wasn't great, but he wasn't the problem either.

Agreed. We gave Sanchez all day to throw he never got hurried and never got sacked, The receivers were never open our run game was mediocre at best, and I think our young D showed why inexperience could be a problem. Let's be optimistic you guys we still have the best QB//HC combo in the league. We have plenty of draft picks coming hopefully we get a legit pass rusher and my god we need a legit vertical WR threat as well cause if they take the middle of the field away from us games like this could happen all the time.

Last year's playoff flameout didn't bother me so much since I didn't think we'd go very far without Wes. And the 2006 game only annoys me from a "So close!" standpoint. This loss, and SB42 are the hardest to deal with. Complanian finally beating us (and being extra unclassy about it, BTW), all those Jets talking crap all week and then proving it right...but what bothers me most is that for the next year I am going to have to see/hear the same trolls on PFT/ESPN/ the local sports radio station down here in Tampa (Ian Beckles is one of the dumbest people ever to hold a mic)ect say "See, the Patriots have won 0 championships since Spygate. That proves they only won because of cheating". And I know it shouldn't bother me, but it does. It chaps my a$s like you would not believe.

Guess my sports radio and websites NOT Patriots related are going to be pretty limited for the next few weeks.

Last edited:
i just still cant fathom that interception - w-t-f.......

The play calling was conspicuously conservative. The offensive coordinator has to be held accountable.

The play calling was conspicuously conservative. The offensive coordinator has to be held accountable.

I agree. BOB needs to understand clock management.

Pretty spot on with all your observations.

As I said in other threads Brady is the most concerning out of all this. I expect some struggles from the younger guys, and even from BOB who is still improving. But Brady's recent playoff play is a major concern, the team only goes as far as he goes. Wilfork came to play IMO, it was great to see him busting his ass down there and fighting.

Edelman seems like he's been our top performer in each of the last 2 playoff games, really the only guy on offense that bothered to show up. Major props to him there. BJGE had some nice runs too, unfortunate he couldn't be more of a factor with us being down most of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes