PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random theory on Jimmy G. trade to SF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another conspiracy theory -

How about there was a quid pro quo with SF to "lend" Jimmy G to SF for a measly 2nd in exchange for a trade back to NE in 2020 for Brady and another player.

So Lynch claims that during trade discussions, Belichick laughed at him when he asked about obtaining Brady instead of Jimmy G, saying something like “you really think I’m going to trade you the greatest QB of all-time?”

From all reports, the Patriots did not shop Jimmy G. around to start a bidding war, as several GMs said they were surprised about the trade and didn’t know the Patriots had decided it was time. So, we’ve theorized that with this is mind, the Patriots wished to trade Jimmy G. to an NFC team (that makes sense) and/or wanted to specifically trade him to San Francisco (reasons unclear, though it is a good organization and he knows Lynch.)

But why San Francisco? Why did they to appear to be the specific team the Patriots wished to trade him to? There are other NFC teams, and many people believe they settled for a lesser return on the trade. Here’s an angle that I hadn’t thought about until recently, after seeing some articles pop up about a potential Patriots-Niners Super Bowl:

What if the Patriots wanted to trade Garoppolo to the only destination that Brady would consider outside of New England, ensuring that Brady would stay with the Patriots as long as he plays, and eliminating the risk of losing both of them? Brady was a 49ers fan growing up, his family (who he is very close to) still live in the Bay Area, and it wouldn’t be shocking if he’s told people that he’d only leave the Patriots for the 49ers - and only the 49ers - if there was a great opportunity there.

Far fetched theory? Or could it have some validity?
No validity. The Patriots wanted to maximize what they got and get a backup qb. They got the pick, which at the time was the 1st or 2nd pick in the second round as well as a backup qb who was experienced in their system. They probably didn't want him in the division as well. Remember at the time JG had played in what 1 1/2 games as a starter and gotten hurt. Coaches saying after he led SF to some wins they would have given up lots more are simply trying to make themselves look good.

The premise is illogical.

Oh, I didn't say it was. I was just saying that if it were true it would make more sense to keep Brady than get a 1st rounder. There might be some truth to what the OP was saying, but I think SF being blocked as a potential destination for Brady is more of a benefit than a rationale for the trade.

So let me get this straight: in this hypothetical scenario, Brady grows so resentful and feels so underappreciated that he is absolutely fed up and decides he's leaving the Patriots.

But then he sees that the 49ers have a FQB in Jimmy, so he can't go there.

You're telling me that, instead of pursuing options with one of the other 30 teams in the NFL, he -- despite the resentment and underappreciation -- goes crawling back to the Patriots because of Stockholm Syndrome?

The idea that "blocking" SF ensures anything is silly.

No, I'm not saying anything. The OP is.

It still surprises me that there are not more conditional picks.

You can have Garappolo for a 2nd... BUT if you get to/win the Super Bowl in the next 3 years with him playing X amounts of snaps, you owe us Y more.

If it's OK to interupt this theory with my own guess going forward - with Mariota being benched, I could easily see Brady going to Tennessee next year to play for Vrabel and with some old friends (Butler, Ryan, Lewis). Not sure if Brady could realistically get into another team's uniform but if he could get past the mental piece of that, I could see it happening.

Oh, I didn't say it was. I was just saying that if it were true it would make more sense to keep Brady than get a 1st rounder. There might be some truth to what the OP was saying, but I think SF being blocked as a potential destination for Brady is more of a benefit than a rationale for the trade.

The more I read the comments the more I’d like to amend my post to reflect this. This is not the sole reason for the trade but an overlooked aspect that may have factored into it.

4D chess.

So let me get this straight: in this hypothetical scenario, Brady grows so resentful and feels so underappreciated that he is absolutely fed up and decides he's leaving the Patriots.

But then he sees that the 49ers have a FQB in Jimmy, so he can't go there.

You're telling me that, instead of pursuing options with one of the other 30 teams in the NFL, he -- despite the resentment and underappreciation -- goes crawling back to the Patriots because of Stockholm Syndrome?

The idea that "blocking" SF ensures anything is silly.

Where in the OP did I say anything about Brady being resentful? That was something you actually brought up. Brady will be a free agent after this season, and it isn’t due to hate or resentment; free agency just happens sometimes. Hating the Patriots and actively wanting out of NE are not the reasons he would be attracted to SF. His mother is in cancer remission, his family is there, and he will likely move back there at some point, and it would be an option for him. Yes, SF (now off the table with JG there) or NE could very well have been his only two sensible options. It really isn’t that far fetched as you’re making it out to be. You underestimate the role that Tom’s family plays in his life.

Yes, SF (now off the table with JG there) or NE could very well have been his only two sensible options. It really isn’t that far fetched as you’re making it out to be. You underestimate the role that Tom’s family plays in his life.

I felt at the time, still do, that Hoyer was the key determining factor in where Handsome Jimmy landed. Your theory may be underestimating that.

If it's OK to interupt this theory with my own guess going forward - with Mariota being benched, I could easily see Brady going to Tennessee next year to play for Vrabel and with some old friends (Butler, Ryan, Lewis). Not sure if Brady could realistically get into another team's uniform but if he could get past the mental piece of that, I could see it happening.

Along the same lines, Jason Garrett gets fired in Dallas. McDaniels gets the HC job with the Cowboys, and takes Brady with him as a FA rather than paying Dak $30m.

Stop, you’re giving me a spastic colon like @IllegalContact

Brady's son Jon lives in NYC with his mother Bridget Moynahan and Brady bought a place nearby. If Brady goes anywhere, it's to the Giants (Brady could never play for the Jets). He's certainly not moving to San Fran.

I felt at the time, still do, that Hoyer was the key determining factor in where Handsome Jimmy landed. Your theory may be underestimating that.

The more I read the comments the more I’d like to amend my post to reflect this. This is not the sole reason for the trade but an overlooked aspect that may have factored into it.

New random theory (OP here): best not to propose random theories while sleep deprived :oops:

Brady's son Jon lives in NYC with his mother Bridget Moynahan and Brady bought a place nearby. If Brady goes anywhere, it's to the Giants (Brady could never play for the Jets). He's certainly not moving to San Fran.

Why would the Giants want him? They have their guy.

I think it’s all monetary. We couldn’t pay jimmy another contract and keep Brady. So, if you let jimmy walk as a free agent, he tests the market, comes back if you want to pay double what Brady makes for a back up. Lol

Not possible. I believe he retires from here, goes into coaching or into broadcasting

The Brady SF connection isn’t totally crazy, and its possible that they turned down better offers from AFC rivals. I think it speaks to Belichicks estimation of Jimmy’s talent and upside that he ended up out of the division and the conference.

When Belichick traded Bledsoe for a first round pick to Buffalo, he wasn’t worried about facing him 2x times a year in the division because Drew was on the steep downside of his career.

it’s unbelievable they got a 1st round pick for Drew and a second for Jimmy.

Last edited:
MORE Garapollo stuff? :rolleyes:

JG was traded because otherwise the Pats were going to lose him for nothing (or a comp pick) in just 6 weeks. Their only alternative would have been to move Brady instead. So the trade was completely logical on so many levels it SHOULD be beyond question and discussion. The only question that could be discussed is the level of compensation and where he was sent, NOT that he was traded.

Much has been made about why the Pats only got a high 2nd rounder for JG. Really? JG has just 5 quarters of actual game film before he was traded. Granted it was good film, but the kind of team that would have wanted him would have been the kind of team that would have had to give up a high first round pick. That's a hard get for 5 quarters of work. Would you expect teams to give up a high first for Kyle Allen, who has 4 games of winning film in the can?

Finally, I think getting back Brian Hoyer was a bigger part of this trade than is given credit for. While not officially part of the trade, it was clearly a quid pro quo. That, I think, was a BIG part of the reason JG went to SF. They not only got a player from the same talent pool as a low first round pick, they got a reliable back up QB who knew the system.

This trade was NEVER about some back room conspiracy between Brady and Kraft to ship "the competition" out of town. This was just a very simple trade to get some kind of value for an asset that would have walked out the door for nothing in a few weeks. It is also important to note that in doing so they kept their BEST QB. You know the guy who has led them to 3 straight Superbowls since that move. :rolleyes:

I can't believe there are still guys who are pining away for JG.

if the Pats and Brady end in a divorce, it will almost certainly be bitter and ugly. At that point, Brady might sign somewhere out of spite. Brett Favre went to the Vikings at the end of his career. Jerry Rice went to the Raiders (Bay Area rival with SF) and also the Seahawks (who were in the same division as the 49ers at that point).
Or there is a possibility TB12 finishes his career in SF and Jimmy G. is traded back in the deal.

Speculation is fun and anyone can do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes