PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random theory on Jimmy G. trade to SF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So Lynch claims that during trade discussions, Belichick laughed at him when he asked about obtaining Brady instead of Jimmy G, saying something like “you really think I’m going to trade you the greatest QB of all-time?”

From all reports, the Patriots did not shop Jimmy G. around to start a bidding war, as several GMs said they were surprised about the trade and didn’t know the Patriots had decided it was time. So, we’ve theorized that with this is mind, the Patriots wished to trade Jimmy G. to an NFC team (that makes sense) and/or wanted to specifically trade him to San Francisco (reasons unclear, though it is a good organization and he knows Lynch.)

But why San Francisco? Why did they to appear to be the specific team the Patriots wished to trade him to? There are other NFC teams, and many people believe they settled for a lesser return on the trade. Here’s an angle that I hadn’t thought about until recently, after seeing some articles pop up about a potential Patriots-Niners Super Bowl:

What if the Patriots wanted to trade Garoppolo to the only destination that Brady would consider outside of New England, ensuring that Brady would stay with the Patriots as long as he plays, and eliminating the risk of losing both of them? Brady was a 49ers fan growing up, his family (who he is very close to) still live in the Bay Area, and it wouldn’t be shocking if he’s told people that he’d only leave the Patriots for the 49ers - and only the 49ers - if there was a great opportunity there.

Far fetched theory? Or could it have some validity?

Last edited:
Makes some sense to me.

So Lynch claims that during trade discussions, Belichick laughed at him when he asked about obtaining Brady instead of Jimmy G, saying something like “you really think I’m going to trade you the greatest QB of all-time?”

From all reports, the Patriots did not shop Jimmy G. around to start a bidding war, as several GMs said they were surprised about the trade and didn’t know the Patriots had decided it was time. So, we’ve theorized that with this is mind, the Patriots wished to trade Jimmy G. to an NFC team (that makes sense) and/or wanted to specifically trade him to San Francisco (reasons unclear, though it is a good organization and he knows Lynch.)

But why San Francisco? Why did they to appear to be the specific team the Patriots wished to trade him to? There are other NFC teams, and many people believe they settled for a lesser return on the trade? Here’s an angle that I hadn’t thought about until recently, after seeing some articles pop up about a potential Patriots-Niners Super Bowl:

What if the Patriots wanted to trade Garoppolo to the only destination that Brady would consider outside of New England, ensuring that Brady would stay with the Patriots as long as he plays, and eliminating the risk of losing both of them? Brady was a 49ers fan growing up, his family (who he is very close to) still live in the Bay Area, and it wouldn’t be shocking if he’s told people that he’d only leave the Patriots for the 49ers - and only the 49ers - if there was a great opportunity there.

I wouldn’t put it past them/him.

If Belichick wanted to "ensure Brady would stay" then he could've easily locked him down with a big contract (and he still can). Better yet, he wouldn't have drafted Garoppolo in the first place. Not to mention, in 2017 anyhow, why would Belichick care about Brady going to San Fran when he could end up in Jax, Denver, Baltimore, etc.? Seems pretty clear he wanted to Keep Jimmy G far, far away...and in a tough division.

Doesn't seem logical to me.

If they could have gotten a 1st rounder from an NFC team, they should have done it.

Jake Bequette also slipped the floppy disk of BB’s nudes to Jimmy G and BB wasn’t going to put up with that **** again.

If they could have gotten a 1st rounder from an NFC team, they should have done it.

The circumstances around the trade did not seem logical and were endlessly nit picked on here. I’m just wondering if this is a piece of the puzzle we are missing. Let’s say they could have gotten pick #20. Does it make sense to get pick #36 instead while accounting for a potential future situation where Brady is a FA and blocking SF as an option? We may see a Brady free agency this next offseason. If the 49ers have this current team and a crappy quarterback, do you think Brady would give strong consideration to finishing his career in his hometown with a contender?

every time I tried to keep reading the OP, I would hear really loud burping and farting sounds

every time I tried to keep reading the OP, I would hear really loud burping and farting sounds

You should get that checked out. Could be a serious medical problem.

What's more valuable, Brady staying in NE or a measly 1st rounder?

On one hand...I could see BB being this Byzantine-ish AND would absolutely love him for it. On the other hand....let's be real..its more likely that BB didn't like the offers from other contenders in March if that year and decided to play chicken....then mid-season decided to cut his losses.

Your entire theory is predicated on the basis of Brady considering only the 49ers if he were to leave. That's very contrived.

First, the chances of Brady ever leaving are remote. So, right off the bat, I find it hard to believe this is a driving force behind their motivations.

Second, if the Pats and Brady end in a divorce, it will almost certainly be bitter and ugly. At that point, Brady might sign somewhere out of spite. Brett Favre went to the Vikings at the end of his career. Jerry Rice went to the Raiders (Bay Area rival with SF) and also the Seahawks (who were in the same division as the 49ers at that point).

On top of all of this... even if Brady left the Patriots, and even if Brady declared he'd only play for the 49ers... who says they'd even want him? Realistically, the only way Brady-NE aren't going to come to an agreement on new deals in the future is if Brady takes a big step back in production and they can't find common ground on a contract, i.e. Brady demands way more AAV than Belichick is comfortable giving. Who says that SF is going to be comfortable meeting those demands for a 43/44/45 year-old QB?

Taking all of this into consideration... lots of assumptions have to be made to meet your theory, and lots of stars would have to align for this situation to materialize. It seems very -- to use your word -- far-fetched to think that this dictated their decision-making.

What's more valuable, Brady staying in NE or a measly 1st rounder?
So let me get this straight: in this hypothetical scenario, Brady grows so resentful and feels so underappreciated that he is absolutely fed up and decides he's leaving the Patriots.

But then he sees that the 49ers have a FQB in Jimmy, so he can't go there.

You're telling me that, instead of pursuing options with one of the other 30 teams in the NFL, he -- despite the resentment and underappreciation -- goes crawling back to the Patriots because of Stockholm Syndrome?

The idea that "blocking" SF ensures anything is silly.

I think there's a simpler reason he started with San Francisco: they had the only backup QB versed in the Patriots system that they could realistically get in a trade. [Remember that Hoyer was supposed to come back as part of the trade, but then Belichick remembered that it would also cost NE a comp pick.] So the Pats got SF's second-rounder and got them to eat $10M in salary guarantees (which is why he signed with NE for relative peanuts).

Your entire theory is predicated on the basis of Brady considering only the 49ers if he were to leave. That's very contrived.

First, the chances of Brady ever leaving are remote. So, right off the bat, I find it hard to believe this is a driving force behind their motivations.

Second, if the Pats and Brady end in a divorce, it will almost certainly be bitter and ugly. At that point, Brady might sign somewhere out of spite. Brett Favre went to the Vikings at the end of his career. Jerry Rice went to the Raiders (Bay Area rival with SF) and also the Seahawks (who were in the same division as the 49ers at that point).

On top of all of this... even if Brady left the Patriots, and even if Brady declared he'd only play for the 49ers... who says they'd even want him? Realistically, the only way Brady-NE aren't going to come to an agreement on new deals in the future is if Brady takes a big step back in production and they can't find common ground on a contract, i.e. Brady demands way more AAV than Belichick is comfortable giving. Who says that SF is going to be comfortable meeting those demands for a 43/44/45 year-old QB?

Taking all of this into consideration... lots of assumptions have to be made to meet your theory, and lots of stars would have to align for this situation to materialize. It seems very -- to use your word -- far-fetched to think that this dictated their decision-making.

So, one vote for far fetched.

The only assumption I made is that San Francisco would be an option for Tom, a best option after New England and the only place he’d consider, which is an extra motivation for trading Jimmy G. there. Everyone seems to agree the Jimmy G. deal was strange, but no one seems to have an answer for why the Patriots called the 49ers, of all teams, and made the deal with them without shopping JG for the best offer. These reports have been confirmed by numerous reporters.

I’ve highlighted the assumptions in your post...difference being that I acknowledge mine is a guess that would fill in the gap about choosing San Francisco as a trade partner.

Two people I know in my neighborhood golf with Tom Sr. Not to bash you, but to call this contrived makes it sound like it’s a totally made up idea to the point of dishonesty, and I’ve already acknowledged it is a theory. I do know a lot about Tom’s family, including his mother’s recovery, his family bond, etc., and I’m quite sure he will move back to San Mateo as soon as it’s feasible. Being closer to his parents would be a big plus for him, and it is logical that, all things equal, playing in Santa Clara would be his next best situation after the Patriots.

Th idea that the Niners had interest is already addressed in the first sentence of my post. Who knows if they’d still want him next year (if they didn’t have Jimmy G.) if he were a free agent and they had a crap QB. Probably. Brady is very popular in the Bay Area and would join a long list of legendary QBs.

I think there's a simpler reason he started with San Francisco: they had the only backup QB versed in the Patriots system that they could realistically get in a trade. [Remember that Hoyer was supposed to come back as part of the trade, but then Belichick remembered that it would also cost NE a comp pick.] So the Pats got SF's second-rounder and got them to eat $10M in salary guarantees (which is why he signed with NE for relative peanuts).

That’s a good point.

They were on course for a high second round pick and agreed in exchange to pay for Hoyer in a wink-wink deal.

If you trade away your backup QB midseason you better make sure to have some plan B.

It is that easy.

But why San Francisco? Why did they to appear to be the specific team the Patriots wished to trade him to? There are other NFC teams, and many people believe they settled for a lesser return on the trade. Here’s an angle that I hadn’t thought about until recently, after seeing some articles pop up about a potential Patriots-Niners Super Bowl:

But.. you are assuming Belichick likes Brady no?

This.

Hoyer, an NFC team, good place for Jimmy and not a potential AFC Josh-led team were all deciding factors

I like the theory though. I don't think it played into it but you never know with BB

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes