PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random news around the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

varjao

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I read yesterday that Sammy Watkins broke his foot and underwent surgery. I believe he's out from the first Bills game so that's a good thing for us if Brady doesn't play, their offense will be anemic. Their 1st round pick is also out for the season after a surgery in his shoulder, looks like both of his shoulders have problems.

Last edited:
Per the Bills, Watkins will recover in time for the season opener so he’s not expected to miss any regular season time.

Inside The Bills | Confirmed: Watkins had foot surgery

Schefter reported on Monday that Lawson will be on the shelf for five to six months, while NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported on Tuesday that Lawson is expected to be on the PUP list to start preseason and miss four or five regular-season games.

Rapoport also noted on Monday that the procedure should correct the problem "long-term" moving forward.

Updates on Bills Star Shaq Lawson's Injury

Thanks, looks like the source from where I read these things was outdated, I believe I read that Lawson would have to face a 5/6 month recovery so at this point that would put him able to play after half season, and as a rookie, in a bad spot.

About Watkins, he is expected to miss the pre-season but if it was indeed a fracture, we have witnessed recently that it's not that simple.

Whaley also said in public, in the midst of a concussion scandal, that human beings shouldn't play football.

You-stupid-or-something-GIF.gif

Jon Jones from UFC got caught for doping again, this guy is really a knuckle head and even not following MMA like I used to back on Pride days I could see this coming.

I don't know if that was a factor at all on the decision to trade Chandler but he's definitely a bad influence and considering CJ's own episode that was an easy call for BB.

Everyone is a star nowadays..
Or a great player or the best in the league at his position . . .

What's funny is when you watch one telecast and Simms or one of those talking heads might say Sherman is the best, for example. And then you watch them the next week, and those same idiots are now saying it's Revis or Norman. It's just words people throw around.

This is how clueless the media is . . . if you go to the Patriots official site and watch one of the vids, I believe the one called 'Pats More or Less' and listen to dude talk about how big of a loss Chandler Jones was and how he always stepped up in the biggest games and moments. I laughed out loud. If there was only one complaint about Jones (which obviously there were other things), it's the fact that he never seemed to come through in the clutch or even consistently, especially against the better teams. These guys watch highlights and base their opinions on them and stats. Few of them, outside of Jaws and Reiss, etc., actually watch multiple games and study the film. So hence, everyone is a star if you're only watching their highlights, even if they're few and far between.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Jon Jones from UFC got caught for doping again, this guy is really a knuckle head and even not following MMA like I used to back on Pride days I could see this coming.

I don't know if that was a factor at all on the decision to trade Chandler but he's definitely a bad influence and considering CJ's own episode that was an easy call for BB.

I think the Chandler Jones decision was strictly football. But I will also say that neither of these guys seems to be living up to their talents and physical gifts. One is a bonehead who can't stop doping and, assuming UFC isn't corrupt and takes itself serious, will likely be banned at some point. Jones can't be bringing in nearly as much for the sport as he maybe once did. And the other seems to be a good guy who just maybe isn't the DE that everyone thought and hoped he would be, especially being a first-rounder. He's not a bad player by any stretch. He's just not elite. He wasn't really elite at Syracuse. It was much the same story. If the price would have been right had we let him stay and his contract expired, then I would love him on this team. But we all know he would have commanded a huge pay day just because of the position he plays. We got something for him.

It's easy for me to sit behind my keyboard and type how I would love to be doing what they do and making the money they make and how I wouldn't squander any of it like them. I'd mean it too. But it's hard to know for sure what you will do or how you will act when you're the one who is truly in that position. So I can't condemn either guy too much other than to say I hope they both improve, respectively. One maybe needs rehab and the other still needs to find his niche. The latter, I hear, is being moved to OLB, as Arizona will play more 3-4 this season. We'll see what that does for him. BB was having him drop back into coverage more, so maybe he will transition well with that added aspect of his development.

Last edited:
Whaley also said in public, in the midst of a concussion scandal, that human beings shouldn't play football.

You-stupid-or-something-GIF.gif
I love movies where they cast so well that the kids really do kind of resemble their adult character counterparts. This is one of the movies that pulled it off really well. And to think, Hanks didn't even want to continue filming the movie because he thought it would be a flop. Go figure. LOL

I love movies where they cast so well that the kids really do kind of resemble their adult character counterparts. This is one of the movies that pulled it off really well. And to think, Hanks didn't even want to continue filming the movie because he thought it would be a flop. Go figure. LOL

Didn't know that. Holy mackerel, was he wrong. That ended up being one of the GOAT's of the cinema world.

Didn't know that. Holy mackerel, was he wrong. That ended up being one of the GOAT's of the cinema world.
Yup. And yeah, he had to be talked into continuing with it because he wanted to quit. And that was when he was seemingly having that string of movies where he could do no wrong. It seemed every movie he came out with was gold. I'm a bit of a movie buff, so I read up on random and somewhat obscure behind-the-scenes stuff. You'd be surprised how many of your favorite actors hated certain roles, even the ones that went on to be big successes. You don't always know when you're creating it how it will be received.

Reactions: PP2
View attachment 13354
Link: Roger Goodell and Bob Kraft make nice among media titans

Clearly, things are much different now and I missed something important. I am a season ticket holder looking at four games without starting quarterback Tom Brady. I need an update from Bob on what has occurred since this:

Robert Kraft has clearly taken sides — against Roger Goodell - The Boston Globe

"So, with his all-star player about to sit for 25 percent of the season, you’d think Kraft would be a bit miffed at Goodell.

If he is, it wasn’t showing on Thursday.

Kraft, who was spotted from the first day of the Allen & Co. mogulfest chatting with media titans like Discovery Chief Executive David Zaslav, took time to chat with Goodell
late Thursday afternoon while Kraft’s girlfriend, Ricki Lander, was Instagramming selfies in the mountain scenery ."

That's our Bobby! He's got his priorities!
Has the Boston Globe ever been right?

Agreed.. best one IMO is young Ray Liotta in Goodfellas... Joe Pesci's was great too..

goodfellas-490.jpg

Also, not a kid, but I think the new Spock looks a lot like the old Spock

Original-Spock-and-New-Spock-mr-spock-4450068-601-544.jpg

Agreed.. best one IMO is young Ray Liotta in Goodfellas... Joe Pesci's was great too..

goodfellas-490.jpg

Also, not a kid, but I think the new Spock looks a lot like the old Spock

Original-Spock-and-New-Spock-mr-spock-4450068-601-544.jpg
I'm not a huge Treky, but the new Spock/Kirk characters and their chemistry are brilliant. Anton Yelchin was a great young Chekov too. He will be missed.

I think the Chandler Jones decision was strictly football. But I will also say that neither of these guys seems to be living up to their talents and physical gifts. One is a bonehead who can't stop doping and, assuming UFC isn't corrupt and takes itself serious, will likely be banned at some point. Jones can't be bringing in nearly as much for the sport as he maybe once did. And the other seems to be a good guy who just maybe isn't the DE that everyone thought and hoped he would be, especially being a first-rounder. He's not a bad player by any stretch. He's just not elite. He wasn't really elite at Syracuse. It was much the same story. If the price would have been right had we let him stay and his contract expired, then I would love him on this team. But we all know he would have commanded a huge pay day just because of the position he plays. We got something for him.

It's easy for me to sit behind my keyboard and type how I would love to be doing what they do and making the money they make and how I wouldn't squander any of it like them. I'd mean it too. But it's hard to know for sure what you will do or how you will act when you're the one who is truly in that position. So I can't condemn either guy too much other than to say I hope they both improve, respectively. One maybe needs rehab and the other still needs to find his niche. The latter, I hear, is being moved to OLB, as Arizona will play more 3-4 this season. We'll see what that does for him. BB was having him drop back into coverage more, so maybe he will transition well with that added aspect of his development.

I disagree, CJ had 12.5 sacks last year. No other pat came even close. He was a leader. I'm sorry to see him go and wish him well.

I disagree, CJ had 12.5 sacks last year. No other pat came even close. He was a leader. I'm sorry to see him go and wish him well.
How many of those were when the team absolutely needed them? How many of them came in the second half of the season? And why was our "leader" on the bench in the AFCCG? I don't believe I ever heard anything about an injury. A bulk of those 12.5 sack numbers came against lesser teams. Titans, Dolphins, etc. What about against the run? Stats don't tell the whole story and never will.

Again, I'm not saying he was a bad player. That would not be true. But he was not elite. I will never change that opinion of his time in New England. They wouldn't have traded him otherwise. Elite DE's don't grow on trees. Versus someone like Nink who makes plays when they matter most, never misses games, plays other positions and is stout against the run. All things Jones lacks. And Ninko was a team captain, not Jones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye