PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders shopping Amari Cooper, Karl Joseph

This offense has put up 30+ points 3 games in a row now. A trade for a difference maker on defense is more necessary. This defense is dangerously porous.
Agreed, although I’d probably be pretty excited with a WR who had athleticism and speed like Cooper, just the same. We won’t get him this year because there’s really nowhere for him to play, but it would be a nice move for the future.

As far as your wish for defensive help, what position would you like to see addressed? Secondary?

I Know people are down on Cooper. Let’s play the game : say he comes to NE. Ahead of him are Gronk, Gordon, White. At “his level” there are Dorsett and Hogan.

Who is the strongest D unit ? Who should guard Cooper ? I like his chances with Brady throwing while he’s being guarded by the 4th option....
You’d have Edelman and Gordon as the starting two WRs in front of him, with Hogan behind them, so Cooper pretty much becomes the 4th WR right off the bat. That would make Patterson a very expensive backup who doesn’t see the field too often (even more than now), and render Dorsett useless (cough).

Gronk and White would also be in front of him too, as you mention.

Let's use that 7th round pick we got for Jordan Richards.

Let's use that 7th round pick we got for Jordan Richards.
I’d be happy parting with one of the 3rds, if his fifth year option wasn’t going to cost 14m against the cap next year. Good luck to OAK in terms of finding someone to take that on, and you can’t even extend him because of the uncertainty and inconsistency.

Agreed, although I’d probably be pretty excited with a WR who had athleticism and speed like Cooper, just the same. We won’t get him this year because there’s really nowhere for him to play, but it would be a nice move for the future.

As far as your wish for defensive help, what position would you like to see addressed? Secondary?
Secondary, pass rusher, or edge backer. Re-acquiring Jamie Collins makes a lot of sense as we need more athleticism on the field.

You’d have Edelman and Gordon as the starting two WRs in front of him, with Hogan behind them, so Cooper pretty much becomes the 4th WR right off the bat. That would make Patterson a very expensive backup who doesn’t see the field too often (even more than now), and render Dorsett useless (cough).

Gronk and White would also be in front of him too, as you mention.

Good point - Dorsett is currently the 4th WR and he didn’t even see the field last night did he? How much better than Dorsett is Cooper?

Good point - Dorsett is currently the 4th WR and he didn’t even see the field last night did he? How much better than Dorsett is Cooper?
I think Cooper is much better, but he has a 14m dollar cap hit next year and would also command at least a third round pick. It just doesn’t seem to be very realistic to me.

Oakland is a bomb and I'm loving it.

I have to take credit for that. I put a 25 year curse on them after the Snow Bowl in 2001 (25 years after the Ben Dreith theft) and they can't win until the 2026-27 season at the earliest.

Free at last. Free at last. Thank Walt Coleman we're free at last!

Isn’t Karl Joseph from memory more of a Chung Safety?

Might look at possible trade targets tonight if you don’t mind in this thread?

We have to monitor the cannon situation. RT could be a need come the deadline.

I thought Cooper would be excellent in the NFL coming into the league, and he looked the part as a rookie. I think his problems are mostly mental, his hands are weirdly inconsistent.

I definitely wouldn't attribute much to Gruden being done with him though, anyone whose solution to "we can't pay Mack and Carr" is trading Mack rather than just cutting Carr after this season for $7.5M in dead cap is probably not to be trusted on talent evaluation.

Cooper is a bust. Joseph isn’t much better.

This offense has put up 30+ points 3 games in a row now. A trade for a difference maker on defense is more necessary. This defense is dangerously porous.
I propose a blockbuster. Giving up 40 pts is like the Superbowl all over again. We aren't going anywhere watching D Mac and Harmon chasing receivers from behind and watch them pulling away. D Mac is declining more so. He has been terrible!
Let's package a deal with AZ for Deonne Buchannon and Patrick Peterson for one on our twos and a fourth and a player (perhaps Harmon or Elandon Roberts or Malcom Brown).
Now I put Eric Rowe at FS share reps with slowpoke D. Mac. He is fairly good in coverage and should stop down the middle assaults. Now you have Peterson and Gilmore at CB and Buchannon as your cover OLB.......We just got speedy!
Draft picks?...honestly not or strength. Bet one of the two #2's will be wasted on a S/T Safety 5th rounder we Draft in the 2nd round anyway.
Peterson's salary can be converted. His cost could be down to $6mm. We have to move someone in the trade to make it all work.
DW Toys
P.S. Perhaps Fitzgerald in a Ray Bourque type class move added in?

Last edited:

Secondary, pass rusher, or edge backer. Re-acquiring Jamie Collins makes a lot of sense as we need more athleticism on the field.
Bingo.

We are in DEFCON 5-level need of athletic talent at EVERY FECKIN POSITION of this "defense."

We are awfully thin on OLman
Do we have any solid depth at any position on the team? When you look at it, we could literally use help at any and every position: TE, RB, Oline, Secondary, LB, DLine. Its a very shallow team where a couple key injuries would prove to be disastrous. For example, whats the plan if Sony Michel, or Gronk go down?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back