PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Raekwon McMillan Signs

Taken from Fansided

"McMillan has largely been a run-stopping linebacker during his career. He only has three career pass defenses and has logged one in each season. But as a downhill playmaker, he is solid and he wouldn’t be that expensive.

Last year, McMillan started four of the 16 games he played last year and logged 27 tackles. In the previous two years, he was a two-year starter for the Miami Dolphins and averaged 97 tackles and a forced fumble per 16 games played. Again, those numbers are solid for a thumper at the linebacker position.

McMillan is 6-foot-2, 246 pounds. He’s still just 25 years old. He was once a second-round pick. There is some upside there and as a role player, he could succeed. Washington shouldn’t spend big money on him, but if he’s around and is cheap enough, he could be a solid role player under Ron Rivera and Jack Del Rio’s unit."

Loved him coming into the draft. Didn’t do much in Miami but should compete with Bentley and Hall.
I have a feeling my Auto Bentley helmet I bought on eBay auction I was the only bidder won’t be relevant very long.
Up there with my Stidham and AsiAsi autographs and no I really spent money on these cards.

Taken from Fansided

"McMillan has largely been a run-stopping linebacker during his career. He only has three career pass defenses and has logged one in each season. But as a downhill playmaker, he is solid and he wouldn’t be that expensive.

Last year, McMillan started four of the 16 games he played last year and logged 27 tackles. In the previous two years, he was a two-year starter for the Miami Dolphins and averaged 97 tackles and a forced fumble per 16 games played. Again, those numbers are solid for a thumper at the linebacker position.

McMillan is 6-foot-2, 246 pounds. He’s still just 25 years old. He was once a second-round pick. There is some upside there and as a role player, he could succeed. Washington shouldn’t spend big money on him, but if he’s around and is cheap enough, he could be a solid role player under Ron Rivera and Jack Del Rio’s unit."
Bentley competition then. Presumably he plays special teams too and should contribute there?

Loved him coming into the draft. Didn’t do much in Miami but should compete with Bentley and Hall.
So Flo traded him to the Raiders for a 5th and got back a 4th. Hmm.

On McMillan, I don't see him making the 53, he's not very good. Has the attributes, has never put it together.

Love this move. McMillan is a very good but limited football player. That is EXACTLY what fits perfectly in our scheme given the other players we have.
He will only okay situationally and will be in situations that best suit his strengths.

Belichick runs his base D as a nickel with dozens of different alignments and schemes. Extremely confusing to opponents. What really makes it go is versatility.
In base we will have 2 DTs on the field. Our current group of DTs is probably the best the unit has been as run defenders since about 2016. The better that group is the more creative and multiple BB can be with the other 4 players in the front 6.

Now let’s look at those 4. Bb will use multiple alignments, varying responsibilities, rushing from anywhere etc.
3 of the 4 are Hightower, KVN and Judon. They are not only excellent players but are very versatile and can play almost anywhere. They can rotate into different roles in different situations and the 4th player is whichever one best fits the situation, and the opponent.
Mcmillan will be a big part if that by being the off the ball LB that allow HT or KVN to okay in the edge. Winovich adds a real DE feature when he is in. Uche and Jennings are also versatile.
You can have 4 lb/de players on the field and truly disguise what at least 3 of them of not all 4 are doing because everyone can play every role (of which there are probably a dozen variations).
Now we add in philips and dugger and ward in hybrid lb/s or s/cb roles and the mad scientist may have the most interesting and versatile group to work with that he has ever had.
This defense is going to be fun

On McMillan, I don't see him making the 53, he's not very good. Has the attributes, has never put it together.
Strongly disagree. He is here for his strengths. And thise strengths fit in well.

Big, strong, fast (ran a 4.61), smart (28 wonderlic), this is a typical Belichick reclamation project. I remember another former 2nd round pick who was a bust for his team, and Belichick turned him into a very important piece of the puzzle of the last 2 Pat’s SB wins. Kyle Van Noy. Van Noy was horrible in Detroit.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back