PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

question on lynch's return to seattle

KY Pats Fan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
when there was speculation that gronk would return, there was an article that said he had till Week 11 to report, I believe. How is it that lynch can return at playoff time and gronk could not? i thought lynch was still under contract with oakland and had not been released.

I googled it quick and found that Lynch signed a 2-year contract with Oakland in 2017, so seems like he was an unrestricted free agent this year when he retired. So, I assume he had no issues with when/how he can return, vs. a player like Gronk who still has an active contract that he retired during.

Lynch was not placed on the “reserve/retired” list. Gronk was to remove his salary. There’s the difference, unfortunately.

Lynch was not placed on the “reserve/retired” list. Gronk was to remove his salary. There’s the difference, unfortunately.
Kraft’s cheapness costing the team again SMH.

You'd prefer the Patriots were still paying Gronk?

Oh, no, the Pats had to do it. I also don’t think Gronk is ever coming back, either.

I just prefer the dream stay alive. :)

Yeah, I don't get that either. I assume the move to put him on return/retired was to free up cap space to be used elsewhere.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back