PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question: Golden Tate and ND offense under Weiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Was the offense Charlie Weiss used at Notre Dame the same system (terminology etc.) the Pats are currently using?

If so, do you place a higher value on Golden Tate vs another wide receiver with similar talent as Tate has demonstrated that he understands and perfoms well in the system?

Do you think Tate would be more likely to make an immediate impact for the Pats at WR given his knowledge of the offense compared to other WRs in the draft of similar talent level?

they may have ran a similar system but im pretty sure the terminology. is not the same. Charlie Weiss, has not been here for a long time im sure the pats have add it some stuff. that and the pats have a hall of fame QB runing pretty much the same system for 10 years now brady could make throws that clausen, can't even dream of.

i think you take the best talent. if that is tate, then the fact they he ran a similar system in college is a plus.

I doubt it is exactly the same. The Patriots run a read and react system, so that would require knowing something about opposing defensive schemes. Since Tate hasn't played against NFL defenses, it's difficult to say whether playing in Weiss's system is equivalent to having experience in an NFL offense. He probably didn't see looks as complex as what he'll get in the pros.

Seems to me that the Pats offensive scheme changed significantly in 2007, so I doubt that being in the system that Weis used at ND provides Tate with any advantage.

Was the offense Charlie Weiss used at Notre Dame the same system (terminology etc.) the Pats are currently using?

If so, do you place a higher value on Golden Tate vs another wide receiver with similar talent as Tate has demonstrated that he understands and perfoms well in the system?

Do you think Tate would be more likely to make an immediate impact for the Pats at WR given his knowledge of the offense compared to other WRs in the draft of similar talent level?

The thing with Tate is that he has not been a WR all that long. He was a RB until a couple of years ago. He is still learning the WR position and projects to have a huge upside.

My questions with him are

1.) Can he run option routes correctly? (Watson and Jackson could not)
2.) Can he beat opposing CB's off the LOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe