PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question for 2020 - If Brady Retires...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I interpreted the comment "quarterback of the decade" to mean the NFL's best QB, bar none, for the next 10 years. If you meant a guy good enough to hold a job for 10 years on any team, then that's different.

So that question, with that definition in place and with the previously explained 2017 Brady/Jimmy G scenario, boils down to:

Was keeping Brady for an additional 2 years at most worth trading away someone who is capable of being a decent starter for a chunk of what might be 10 years?

I honestly don't know. If Jimmy G was the main reason why SF is enjoying their current season, then I'd say not. But in the current lense of things, where he's enjoying pretty wild talent, it becomes a lot more difficult to tell.

Yes let's bring in Dalton too. Maybe when Bill hangs them ups we give Marvin Lewis a call.

Was keeping Brady for an additional 2 years at most worth trading away someone who is capable of being a decent starter for a chunk of what might be 10 years?

Yep. That was always the question. No (sane) person claimed that JG was better than TB. It was a question of 10 years of JG vs ? years of TB.

Also, that whole trade was sort of a red herring in that regard. The team decided they were moving on from JG over a year before that trade when they extended Brady to 2020 (Brady was originally expiring after 2017, same as JG). That contract extension (and I would love to have been a fly on the wall in BB’s and RK’s offices) is what guaranteed JG was gone after 2017.

Hey guys first timer here.

I'm taking it day by day with Tom and enjoying every last minute, second, and hour that we have with the GOAT. I think he has 1 more Super Bowl in him this year.

However, we do have to think about the future. And QB has to be our #1 priority in the offseason, regardless if Brady and BB/Kraft work out a deal for another year, or if he chooses to retire or play for another team.

I think Teddy Bridgewater is the guy we need. He doesn't light up scoreboards or get a lot of the 300-400 yard games, but he is very cerebral in how he goes through progressions and breaks down defenses. He is very good in the short to medium game, accurate and doesn't turn the ball over. He's the kind of QB that would be an excellent fit with an elite defense and run oriented team, where he can manage the offense, take care of the ball, and let the backs and the defense carry the load. So we would need to add a top level run threat in 2021 to go with Michel - someone like Alvin Kamara, Dalvin Cook, or Adrian Peterson who are all UFA that year.

He would make us more balanced between the run and pass than what we are used to. But I happen to think that's a good thing. I'm a big proponent of run it down your throat smash mouth football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back