PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question about injured/inactive players on gamedays

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
What is the rule about injured and inactive players on sidelines. Sometimes we see guys up in a box with Kraft, sometimes we see them on the sideline, and sometimes we just don't see them at all.

I guess my question is..........

Is there a limit to how many inactive or IR players can be on the sideline with the team on gamedays?

After all, players like Marty and Jules could be 'extra coaches' on the sideline if they chose to be. Is there a max to how many of these 'extra coaches' you can have, or is it basically 'if you are on the team you can be on the sideline'?

Are the rules exactly the same for the Super Bowl or are there looser restrictions then?

Do you think we'll see Edelman on the sideline this year (I don't recall seeing him but maybe he has already been there)?

My understanding is that BB does not like injured players on the sidelines as he considers them a distraction from what is right in front of him (like he only likes to talk about players on the team, not players who have been cut). He didn't even let Brady on the sidelines from what I recall when he was out injured. I think you are right that they are there sometimes (playoffs maybe?), so maybe it's not a rule, but a preference.

I think you are right that they are there sometimes (playoffs maybe?), so maybe it's not a rule, but a preference.

From the championship blu rays I recall the shot of Gronk on the sideline in the Super Bowl saying "Go Tommy!" or something like that when Brady ran for a first down? So maybe a playoff exception? I wonder if we'd see Jules if we made the Super Bowl.

From the championship blu rays I recall the shot of Gronk on the sideline in the Super Bowl saying "Go Tommy!" or something like that when Brady ran for a first down? So maybe a playoff exception? I wonder if we'd see Jules if we made the Super Bowl.
Yes, I also recall Ty Law being on the sideline (maybe in a wheelchair even?) when they won - it must have been in 2004. Maybe the Superbowl is the exception for BB (which is understandable as you'd like someone on the team to be part of that glory).

Slater was on the sideline for the Miami game.

Yes, I also recall Ty Law being on the sideline (maybe in a wheelchair even?) when they won - it must have been in 2004. Maybe the Superbowl is the exception for BB (which is understandable as you'd like someone on the team to be part of that glory).

I think it depends on the player as well. If it's a veteran player like Mayo. He'll be there on the sidelines. I reckon Super Bowl is another exception as you said.

My understanding is that BB does not like injured players on the sidelines as he considers them a distraction from what is right in front of him (like he only likes to talk about players on the team, not players who have been cut). He didn't even let Brady on the sidelines from what I recall when he was out injured. I think you are right that they are there sometimes (playoffs maybe?), so maybe it's not a rule, but a preference.

The reason I heard Brady wasn't allowed was because the camera would likely cut to him every time Cassell threw an incompletion. Jules may not be there for similar reasons.

Last edited:
The reason I heard Brady wasn't allowed was because the camera would likely cut to him every time Cassell through an incompletion. Jules may not be there for similar reasons.

While I suspect most of the time it's BB making the decision, I suspect that with Brady it was a mutual decision that his presence would be a hindrance rather than a help.

Slater was on the sideline for the Miami game.

Slater is also the captain (or, co-captain with Ebner) of the ST units - like their QB or field general. He was probably actively contributing to the discussions of play calls, reads, etc. rather than just cheering.

So it sounds like to the best of everyone's knowledge that this is just a preference thing and that there are no league restrictions on how many injured/inactive players can be on the sideline.

While I suspect most of the time it's BB making the decision, I suspect that with Brady it was a mutual decision that his presence would be a hindrance rather than a help.
the nature of the injury matters too. You couldn’t have brady on the sidelines after acl surgery risking a player running into him.

I would think if not on the sideline, they could be invited into the suite with Kraft, but who knows?
Also, injured guys like Edelman, Hightower, etc. Do they attend meetings and film sessions still?

I would think if not on the sideline, they could be invited into the suite with Kraft, but who knows?
Also, injured guys like Edelman, Hightower, etc. Do they attend meetings and film sessions still?

I would need to dig up where I read it but in the case of JE11, he is working out at the stadium and attending positional meetings. I'm guessing hes in a suite watching the game but not 100% sure. I remember WW in the suite during the playoff game vs the Ratbirds.

AFAIK, there's no rule preventing injured, "off-roster" players from attending meetings/film sessions. I'm guessing that at least some of the Pats players on season-ending IR do on a fairly regular basis. to keep themselves current and in the loop on changes.

I'm pretty sure that all injured Pats players who have an opportunity to return (IR, PUP, NFI) during the season attend every session and may even observe walkthroughs from the sidelines. There may not be any official requirement for them to do so, but a guy who skips meetings, injured or not, probably isn't going to be around BB for very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes