PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

QB development pattern . The Brady blueprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
People forget that Brady led the NFL in TDs in 2002. He was a talent from the get go, even if he didn't approach GOAT levels until 2007.

Brady was always Brady. Rules changes in 2004 created a situation where the game changed and QB stats went up across the board, but this is a guy who took over a team that went 5-13 under Belichick and turned them into Champions.

The things that impressed me most about TB12 were his clutch plays. He very rarely missed when he was needed. He reminded me of Bird in that regard.

Hopefully he can make those throws in the flat with enough touch and accuracy to give his guys YAC, and he can recognize blitzers while also making sure people don't jump into those lanes for pick 6s.

It always amazes me that even the great QBs struggle throwing it to a back still behind the LOS.

Aaron Rodgers can make many types of throws that Brady can't make, but he can't throw it to a guy wheeling to either side of him.

That ability to throw an accurate swing pass is very important and was one of the first things I noticed about Brady, especially compared to Drew, who wasn't accurate.

LT was an athletic freak. And u can't compare positions to qb.

Brady was 6 th round very smart but slow. He had Charlie Weis and Belichick and that team of players.. People that think he would have followed same path elsewhere are kinda myopic. But it's entertaining to read this stuff.

Sigh...It is true that Tom Brady had and has a genius level of football smarts. But just because his foot speed was slow doesn't mean that he wasn't and isn't a phenomenal athlete. The former Montreal Expos GM says that if he had played baseball instead of football he could have been a Hall of Fame catcher. Tom Brady has absolutely amazing hand eye coordination.

Heck, Larry Bird was also slow and couldn't jump much but both nobody (with any sense) says that he wasn't a superior athlete (his hand eye coordination was also superior).

NFL Network showing replays of early SB wins. The funny thing ( not really) is Brady's best game was the one he didn't get the MVP.. SB 39 against Philly. He threw the ball really well, great stats no picks. 110.2 passer rating!

Branch caught a bunch of balls and fell down after every catch. The MVP goes to the receiver who caught the passes but who threw the ball.? Really ? but they just couldn't give Brady another one .

Brady in 01-03 had the reins put on him by BB and Weis and the team could afford that because of a power running game from Antowain Smith and a playmaking defense with great players everywhere. It’s not a bad blueprint to emulate.

Smith was so underrated. He was THE offense in 2001 imo. Might have given him an MVP nod over Brady in SB36 if I had a vote.

A large number of posters on this forum were arguing in 2003 that Brady was the best in the NFL at the time, better than Peyton Manning. I didn't change my mind until mid-season 2004 but I well remember the tenor of the times. Brady was NOT a system QB in 2003; he was already being called the best in the NFL by a lot of (perhaps biased) Patriots fans.

A large number of posters on this forum were arguing in 2003 that Brady was the best in the NFL at the time, better than Peyton Manning. I didn't change my mind until mid-season 2004 but I well remember the tenor of the times. Brady was NOT a system QB in 2003; he was already being called the best in the NFL by a lot of (perhaps biased) Patriots fans.
He developed fast but he had the confidence to LEARN ON THE JOB... The issue is what happens if Bledsoe doesn't get hurt? The timing was perfect relative to brady being young and hungry and quasi ready... cuz it still was a conservative offense they ran but it worked. Hence the thread.. haha

This thread becoming more relevant as the chat about Dalton or any QB when the development of Stidham is taken into account.

The ideal sequence could be one year clipboard, then get on the field and learn on the job.. since it worked for Brady but also screwed garoppolo..

If Jimmy didn't ride the bench playing only in practice for 3 years , would he still have gotten injured in his second game? In other words all that lack of real game speed and hits left him more vulnerable when he got in there.

IMO, learning on the job is the way to go with Stidham as a game manager, protecting the ball ,handing it off, throwing lots of screens and dink and dunk passes. Just like Brady did.

I don't see why we can't build up a QB into 2001-2004 type numbers. Those weren't mind blowing QB stats. You need a hardworking QB who studies all the tape, knows blitzes, gets the ball out fast, and limits int's.

When you think back , there was no talk about brady being "ready". They tailored the game plans brilliantly for the young game manager with lots of screens. Didn't Weis basically invent the bubble screen to wr..?

Anyway... the development means you find out what stidham is all about. . This is good since u can't say you rushed it... he held clipboard for a season. Done. (Just like Brady)

Hes learning on the job. If that fails . then you can look at trading for veterans. But the coaching and gameplanning can go a long way if mcD is up for it.

We know what BB is looking for in a QB, it's at the end of the 2nd page:

So yes, there is a recipe. Decision making. Accuracy. Leadership. Other things such as arm strength are great but not as important as these. Start with the right QB. Put him into a system where they work the center of the field to get the D to move men into the box then work the edges to hit on big gainers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back