PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prisco rips BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't necessarily just talking about the last few days, I mean in general.

And, fine, we can agree to disagree. Many of you are OK with how BB handles the 'press' - I'd like a little more meat. And it's because I'm slightly obsessed with all things Patriots that BB's silent treatment leaves me wanting to begin with. I like reading articles about the Pats, the more the merrier, and if they'd include a few more gems from the lips of BB that would only make my reading more enjoyable.

And, fine, we can agree to disagree. Many of you are OK with how BB handles the 'press' - I'd like a little more meat. And it's because I'm slightly obsessed with all things Patriots that BB's silent treatment leaves me wanting to begin with. I like reading articles about the Pats, the more the merrier, and if they'd include a few more gems from the lips of BB that would only make my reading more enjoyable.

He wasn't signed to make your reading more enjoyable except as a ancillary benefit of building a organization with a .716 regular season winning percentage spanning over a decade and a .737 post season winning percentage including 4 trips to the SB and 3 rings.

If something else floats your boat, you're probably better served rooting for a team whose HC is better suited to flapping his lips about winning than actually winning anything.

Just great. Roger Goodell will reference these very same posts when in an attempt to divert attention away from his failure to negotiate a new CBA, he fines BB $1million and seizes the Patriots #1 draft pick in 2011 as punishment for disappointing the fans and hurting the league. :rolleyes:

I, for one, am pretty much full of BB's nearly compulsive resistance to any meaningful comments. What secrets are there to give away - everybody in this league knows everybody else inside and out. Now, keeping mum on a specific game plan, sure that makes sense. But BB's "I did, I'll do what's best for the team" routine is bothersome.

I'm a fan all year. And yes I'd like to hear what the coach is really thinking at least once in a while. The part that makes me mad is that BB isn't some kind of nervous savant that can only deal with coaching, coaching , coaching, or else end up in a nursing home because he tried to be polite to reporters. BB knows exactly what he's doing all the time, he 's decided to be purposefully aloof and detached when dealing with the media 99% of the time.

It bugs me because BB must also realize that by dissing reporters he's also dissing fans to some degree. Like it or not, part of being a NFL HC is handling the press, and the press is there because millions of people are reading their stuff not because reporters like to get a good chuckle by asking Bill questions they know he won't answer.

(And don't give me the -hey winning is all that's matters - reply because they haven't won a SB in 6 years and they're 5-5 in playoff games since then, and 0-3 in their last 3 post season games). But I love BB as much as any Patriots fan out there, and that, more than any reason, is why he ought to give in a little and talk to us.

I dont think your listening good enough because IMO BB actually does give some great insight on football and he does it fairly frequently. IMO the problem is that the media doesnt know how to ask him questions or what to ask about but even more importantly they dont know when to talk about it.

The biggest problem is when BB actually talks to the press...usually it is his post game pressers or things like that and he will never give instant analysis because he is too careful about what he says to speak before seeing the full breakdown.

I have heard him talk about the history football fairly often and when he does it is always good stuff. He gave his opinion on the new kick off rules and it was interesting.

Really when it comes down to it the media is mad about how he interacts with them they are mad that he actually keeps his emotions in check (well sorta) and doesnt give them the fun easy headline quote.

I say well sorta because you can see it on his sleeve but he wont say anything to tip his cap.

Basically it is simple BB will speak but he isnt giving instant analysis and he isnt giving away anything remotely close to strategy/internal football matters.

Brady's Buttboy: I sugest you keep an eye out for some event where he is the guest speaker because you should hear him speak about the team and football when he isnt in front of the firing squad.

Acording to SMY Bill pokes his head into the ballroom where the breakfast is held and does not to go in to the table. What (or who) do you think he saw ?

Doesn't it make sense that he sees someone at his table that he does not want to sit with and decides he would rather blow off the breakfast than sit with someone he can't stand ? Does anyone know who was at his table and whether someone like Borges (or anyone else from the Herald) was sitting there ?

I love that BB is the coach of the team I am a fan of. But it is clear the guy holds grudges including against members of the media. I am fine with that even though it is the job of these members of media to follow the team.

Sorry I just do not see this as a slight to other coaches. This is just another one of his digs to certain members of the media and I think Prisco and Reiss both know that. If BB doesn't have to talk to some of these persons he will not.

Last edited:
Maybe TO stole BB's alarm clock.

If this breakfast is critical, make it mandatory.

A material percentage of the fanbase love it when BB sticks it to the press and the NFL. perhaps the move was done to play to these fans.

How can anyone say there isn't enough info on the Patriots on the net?

Nothing wrong with this take at all.

except that by that logic nothing will crave my obsessed mind (except the game itself) so he should keep us all in the loop on all dealings to feed our obsessions.

Maybe the poster should realize he is obsessed and realize that his obsession might not be fully satisfied at all times. For me my obsessed mind really only gets enough a few hours each sunday (sometimes Monday, Sat, or Thurs) so whatever he does say is just gravy.

Last edited:

There is nothing wrong with those specific words, but when put in context of prior statements, it still subscribes to the mind set that because BB doesn't meet his expectations in this respect then BB should change. Its a juvenille mindset that ignores reality where you have to accept people with their strengths and flaws. If there is one thing we have learned is that BB is not going to change his media relations tactics, especially not at this point in his career where he has built so much gravitas in the league. All this wishing for him to change is just pissing in the wind. Accept it and move on.

except that by that logic nothing will crave my obsessed mind (except the game itself) so he should keep us all in the loop on all dealings to feed our obsessions.

Maybe the poster should realize he is obsessed and realize that his obsession might not be fully satisfied at all times. For me my obsessed mind really only gets enough a few hours each sunday (sometimes Monday, Sat, or Thurs) so whatever he does say is just gravy.

The person's reasoning is sound, at least in the sense that BB & Co. could be much more forthcoming without it having any negative impact upon game or player preparation. Doing so would not hurt the team or the bottom line.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with those specific words, but when put in context of prior statements, it still subscribes to the mind set that because BB doesn't meet his expectations in this respect then BB should change. Its a juvenille mindset that ignores reality where you have to accept people with their strengths and flaws. If there is one thing we have learned is that BB is not going to change his media relations tactics, especially not at this point in his career where he has built so much gravitas in the league. All this wishing for him to change is just pissing in the wind. Accept it and move on.

How is "He needs to change" any more juvenile than the "In BB we trust" mantra that gets drummed out?

How is "He needs to change" any more juvenile than the "In BB we trust" mantra that gets drummed out?

Lets see hmmm 3 SB wins, 4 AFC titles, many division titles, and only one season with a losing record (his first one). What makes more sense In BB we Trust or He needs to change?

Deus Irae said:
The person's reasoning is sound, at least in the sense that BB & Co. could be much more forthcoming without it having any negative impact upon game or player preparation. Doing so would not hurt the team or the bottom line.

I am going to play semantics here but I dont agree he could be much more forthcoming without having any negative impact upon the game.

Sure I would guess there are somethings he could tell us that wouldnt effect anything but I dont think that issue is actually with BB I think that is more on the media for not finding ways to get him to talk about that and instead always asking questions they know he wont answer.

Now all that being said and I would ask you or Brady's buttboy to give examples of the types of things you think he should be talking about so we can judge whether they actually might hurt the bottom line or the team.

Lets see hmmm 3 SB wins, 4 AFC titles, many division titles, and only one season with a losing record (his first one). What makes more sense In BB we Trust or He needs to change?

Without question, "he needs to change" makes more sense than "In BB we trust". Neither is necessarily correct, but "In BB we trust", with regards to this particular topic, is for people who can't be bothered to think on their own. We don't celebrate this in any other sport, and we've never celebrated this with any other NFL coach, either. BB gets a pass on it because of his past success, and because there's a large contingent of Patriots fans who have become sheep for the team to shear, but that doesn't mean it's the correct, or only correct, way to go. SB wins don't make the man's approach to the media any more right or wrong.

I am going to play semantics here but I dont agree he could be much more forthcoming without having any negative impact upon the game.

Sure I would guess there are somethings he could tell us that wouldnt effect anything but I dont think that issue is actually with BB I think that is more on the media for not finding ways to get him to talk about that and instead always asking questions they know he wont answer.

Now all that being said and I would ask you or Brady's buttboy to give examples of the types of things you think he should be talking about so we can judge whether they actually might hurt the bottom line or the team.

My point was inarguable. History has shown it, time and again. You concede the point even in your assertion otherwise:

Sure I would guess there are somethings he could tell us that wouldnt effect anything

BB does his thing on purpose, and for reasons above and beyond winning games and keeping his team playing well. If you want to back him, that's fine. However, that's not the only way, and the poster who doesn't like it isn't somehow inherently wrong or out of his mind. Rex Ryan's taken his team deeper into the playoffs in each of the past two seasons, which is what measurement of success is, and that blowhard won't shut up.

There is no right or wrong way on this.

Last edited:

One is confidence in a person's ability to perform his job while the other is a wish that isn't going to come true.

Once again now Reiss agrees with the speculation that BB did what he did to tweak Goodell whom he justifiably despises to the core.

Last edited:
I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about breakfast, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about breakfast.

:rolleyes:

In all fairness, have you seen some of the crap questions he gets asked? I mean, it's awful. Most journalists aren't even listening to his answers so much as they're looking for a few choice soundbites they can convert into a story.

When he's asked a genuinely interesting question, BB responds in depth with lots of thought and information. But usually it's a bunch of hacks looking for soundbite material for their radio show.

BB's main job is to coach the team, which he does. Everything else is secondary. I'd love for him to tell us more. I want to know his thoughts on the Seymour deal looking back, or what he really thinks of Roger Goodell, or who the worst CB in the league is, or the players he hated the most, or what he really thinks of Parcells. I'm not saying I don't want to hear it. But I don't expect it, which is how some may have interpreted the other poster's comments.

I have no problem with the way BB deals with some of the media members. If they are going to ask crap questions, they get crap answers.

In all fairness, have you seen some of the crap questions he gets asked? I mean, it's awful. Most journalists aren't even listening to his answers so much as they're looking for a few choice soundbites they can convert into a story.

When he's asked a genuinely interesting question, BB responds in depth with lots of thought and information. But usually it's a bunch of hacks looking for soundbite material for their radio show.

BB's main job is to coach the team, which he does. Everything else is secondary. I'd love for him to tell us more. I want to know his thoughts on the Seymour deal looking back, or what he really thinks of Roger Goodell, or who the worst CB in the league is, or the players he hated the most, or what he really thinks of Parcells. I'm not saying I don't want to hear it. But I don't expect it, which is how some may have interpreted the other poster's comments.

I have no problem with the way BB deals with some of the media members. If they are going to ask crap questions, they get crap answers.

A lot of the "crap" questions are of the sort that have to be asked. Furthermore, over time, the media tailors its questions to things they think might actually get answers.

Parcells, whom you mention, was a head coach of this team during a Super Bowl season. He was generally more forthcoming with his answers, and the world didn't come to an end.

... And yes I'd like to hear what the coach is really thinking at least once in a while. ...

Dear Jet fan,

In case you missed it Belichick said what he thought about the proposed rule change about kick offs. I guess you missed the "once in a while" opening up. Here it is: New England Patriots: Bill Belichick Discusses New Kickoff Rule | Bleacher Report
That is one of several. Of course you missed this "once in a while" despite all the reporters pictured because it did not fit with what you already decided.

Let me fill you in on his real answers to the most pertinent questions:

Q: Will you trade up or down in the draft?
A: We will explore all options as the draft happens.

Q: Do you think the Patriots will go back to the Super Bowl this year?
A: Yes, but so do 31 other coaches about their own teams.

Q: How many ways can I ask variations of these questions?
A: As many as you like, but I'd rather be trimming my nails than wasting my time repeating myself so you can write 500 columns on the same thing.

I'm sorry his not wanting to answer the same question over and over again for your amusement flusters you.

It must be the off season. "Belichick eats puppies and drinks unicorn blood" is news.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back