PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread- We are on to the Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad Herron was back today, but how healthy is he?
Same with Onwenu, but I'm not confident that he should immediately replace Karras at LG.
I'd start Karras, and if he struggles then put Big-O in. Or, if Cajuste struggles, put Big-O at RT (which might be a better option anyway)
Onwenu wasn't hurt, though - just COVID protocol.

Updated injury report:

If the Pats pull this off then beat the Jets and they're going to LA 4-3.

Not bad.

I think in addition to beating the Jets - which obviously is a must, we need to pull of either this one or the Chargers game and be .500 heading into the 2nd half with hopefully better /cleaner play. 3-5 seems like too much to climb out of at that point, with that schedule. Both games look really really tough right now though

Injury report for the Cowboys:

OUT
DE Dorance Armstrong, Ankle (DNP)

QUESTIONABLE
CB Trevon Diggs, Ankle (LP)
RB Ezekiel Elliott, Ribs (LP)
DE Randy Gregory, Knee (LP)
S Damontae Kazee, Hip (LP)
T Tyron Smith, Neck (DNP)
S Donavan Wilson, Groin (LP)

It will be a fun game to watch. With the loss to the Dolphins we probably need to beat two of Cowboys, Chargers and Browns. Maybe not critical but would be very helpful. The team should be getting better and expanding the defensive formations and offensives plays - the first four games (an extensive of the preseason) are behind us. I think we have to be patient with Mac's development, the question is can we make the playoffs this year or not? This game should go a long ways in telling us the answer. No more moral victories.

Updated injury report:

What's the status of Isaiah Wynn? If both he & Mason are still ruled out but Herron is active, then my starting 5 would be:

Herron - Karras - Andrews - Onwenu - Cachoo

Been thinking about this game for a while, and after all the match ups and scheming and moving of the chess pieces, I've come to a simple conclusion. If the Pats are +2 in the turnover battle they can win this game. If they are +1 its POSSIBLE they can win. If they are even ore minus, then they have no chance.

Over the past 20 seasons there has been one OTHER constant other than Brady and Bellichick that been part of the Pats annual success at winning football games. They have almost always been in the top 10 in turnover ratio and more often in the top 5. However THIS season, they have been on the minus side in EVERY loss so far... IIRC the only game this season where they had a plus TO ratio was the Jets game. AND if I recall correctly the Pats are now -3 this season in TO' ratio, and think about how much worse that would look if it weren't for the 4 picks they were gifted with by Wilson.

The Pats have a good defense (and they will need one vs Dallas) but it won't be the GREAT one they need if they don't start CONSISTENTLY turning the ball over. So the key to the game is simple "turn the damned ball over more than the other guy."

Wouldn’t be shocked if Dallas lays an egg. They are always good for that each year, especially when they need it the most.

Been thinking about this game for a while, and after all the match ups and scheming and moving of the chess pieces, I've come to a simple conclusion. If the Pats are +2 in the turnover battle they can win this game. If they are +1 its POSSIBLE they can win. If they are even ore minus, then they have no chance.

Over the past 20 seasons there has been one OTHER constant other than Brady and Bellichick that been part of the Pats annual success at winning football games. They have almost always been in the top 10 in turnover ratio and more often in the top 5. However THIS season, they have been on the minus side in EVERY loss so far... IIRC the only game this season where they had a plus TO ratio was the Jets game. AND if I recall correctly the Pats are now -3 this season in TO' ratio, and think about how much worse that would look if it weren't for the 4 picks they were gifted with by Wilson.

The Pats have a good defense (and they will need one vs Dallas) but it won't be the GREAT one they need if they don't start CONSISTENTLY turning the ball over. So the key to the game is simple "turn the damned ball over more than the other guy."
The "other guy" is #2 in TO differential at +7. They're #1 in INT with 10!

I'll be happy if Mac just takes care of the ball.

I still don't know who we are as a team so predictions are almost impossible. With is it 24? new players the patriot way isn't quite there yet which is understandable as nearly half the team weren't patriots last year and we don't really have an identity but there are signs it is coming. The offense didn't get as much credit as i thought it should last week. We moved the ball well and consistently through the air and Mac has looked in sync the last two games. It might be obvious but if the first half texans team turns up we are screwed and if the 2nd half team turns up we have a chance. Who knows

It will be a fun game to watch. With the loss to the Dolphins we probably need to beat two of Cowboys, Chargers and Browns. Maybe not critical but would be very helpful. The team should be getting better and expanding the defensive formations and offensives plays - the first four games (an extensive of the preseason) are behind us. I think we have to be patient with Mac's development, the question is can we make the playoffs this year or not? This game should go a long ways in telling us the answer. No more moral victories.

I care less about making the playoffs and more about Mac solidifying himself as the franchise QB. The last four games mean much more to me than the first four games.

I havent seem much of Dallas recently but to my recollection, this team lives and dies with Elliot and the running game. If we put this in Daks' hands, even if Im not fully confident on the secondary yet.

We really need the DL and the LBs to step up, based on the highlights, their OL is still as good as I remember, they work very well together still. If we let Zek ~feast 5-6 yards or more evey time he touches, we actually have no shot, unless our Offense can find an extra gear or win the Turnover battle, (which would be nice, tbh)

I havent seem much of Dallas recently but to my recollection, this team lives and dies with Elliot and the running game. If we put this in Daks' hands, even if Im not fully confident on the secondary yet.

We really need the DL and the LBs to step up, based on the highlights, their OL is still as good as I remember, they work very well together still. If we let Zek ~feast 5-6 yards or more evey time he touches, we actually have no shot, unless our Offense can find an extra gear or win the Turnover battle, (which would be nice, tbh)
This might have been true not long ago, but Dak is more than capable and has plenty of weapons up his sleeve on the pass.

Good morning everyone, Saturday's schedule:

I care less about making the playoffs and more about Mac solidifying himself as the franchise QB. The last four games mean much more to me than the first four games.

I don't think we will know about Mac until next year. I don't doubt he will improve all year and look better in the last 4 games, but then he needs a great off season strengthening to know if he is a long term QB.

I would like to see if the team comes together this year to become collectively better than the sum of the individuals like the Pats did for the last 20 years. The team and Mac are good enough to improve and gel, but will it happen? Lots of new pieces that make it tough to play as a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes