PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Potential Coaching Candidates after BB Retires [Update: Bedard believes Monday's outcome could result in "serious question" about Belichick's Future]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch the video. Bedard doesn't believe it will come to it because he thinks the Pats will beat the Cardinals and/or Belichick will probably go to Kraft and say he is getting a real OC and offensive coaching staff next season that will probably save his job. But the sources say that it could be the end of his Patriots career. Not that it is. Could.

If that's the case then that makes this season even worse .

Mac will wilt.

Those patriots offenses looked pretty good to me under Billy O, how's the offense look this season?

I don't get the infatuation with a guy who struggled to finally win one ring and otherwise ended up irrelevant by the end of most Januarys in the NFC...?
Exactly !

Those patriots offenses looked pretty good to me under Billy O, how's the offense look this season?
Good that all other variables are eliminated, so that the root cause for the difference is clear.

Terminate the BB Friends & Family coaching clan 01/08/2023

Hire:
Sean Payton HC/OC
Brian Flores DC

Announcement 01/09/2023

Then.....

View attachment 48091
And why would they want to join the pats. ? Fans and media cant stand a 3 yr rebuild but will tolerate payton who with brees had a bunch of 7-9 seasons and won one SB

I don't get the infatuation with a guy who struggled to finally win one ring and otherwise ended up irrelevant by the end of most Januarys in the NFC...?
As the HC/OC of the Saints from 2006 to 2019 (15 seasons) his offenses ranked in the top 10 in the NFL every season and 8 times were #1 or #2. You wouldn't give him a shot at working with Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe?

Bedard is 100% correct. Kraft wants his team to be mentioned in the national pantheon of the NFL along with Green Bay, Dallas, and to a lesser extent San Francisco and Pittsburgh...those are the hallmark franchises - they have history, cache, and a trophy case to match. The Pats have the trophies but not the history and cache. They were a literal laughingstock for close to half the franchise's history.
At any rate, Belichick's team is 6-6 and hanging on to their playoff lives by a thread. They have lost 2 straight. They are about to face a 4-8 team. They are giving up 27 points a game. This is a game that the alleged greatest coach in the history of the game SHOULD win - Matt Patricia or no Matt Patricia. Kraft has every right to sh#tcan Belichick at 1 am Monday night if they lose this game. Hallmark franchises do not lose to a freaking 4-8 team in a "gotta have it game."

Bill is facing a gauntlet. He's facing one former player he kicked to the curb that is itching to beat him, a former assistant who wants to reenact 2009 and fist pump his way off the field before getting fired himself and then 3 teams fighting for the #1 seed.

It is bizarre though how any fan could think that Bill is pointing the team in the right direction. This is Carroll 1999 all over again.
We as fans saw great coaching for 19 seasons, this season is anything but!

We know what a competent offense looks like. Yes BB is still the shot caller however employing people in important roles they have no business in.. ruined your ascending qb, your o line is a mess, the entire offense is regressed. If we see this imagine the view the krafts have!

In the category "Titles Without Tom Brady"....
Payton 1
Belichick 0

Brining in BOB as an OC with the intent for him to become coach with Eliot Wolf or Groh as the GM would be a path that makes good sense. Most football coaches are hot heads, too bad for the press. As long as he has some self awareness when dealing with the team he will be fine in the lockerroom. In my experience people who are hot heads themselves tend to deal with other hot heads with no issues, so Mac will be fine.

And why would they want to join the pats. ? Fans and media cant stand a 3 yr rebuild but will tolerate payton who with brees had a bunch of 7-9 seasons and won one SB
Payton and Brees were 7-9 four times in 14 seasons. They had just as many 13 win seasons and had 8 seasons with 11 or more wins. They didn't win more Super Bowls because their defenses were typically inferior. Even in 2009 when they won it all their defense ranked 25th in the NFL.

As the HC/OC of the Saints from 2006 to 2019 (15 seasons) his offenses ranked in the top 10 in the NFL every season and 8 times were #1 or #2. You wouldn't give him a shot at working with Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe?
He also had a bunch of 7-9 seasons with the same HOF QB.

BB has effectively been rebuilding for 3 years now. I think it would be a mistake to let him go after this season, no matter what happens. But if he can’t get this team a playoff win by the end of next season, I could very realistically see a scenario where he’s gone. It will then have been a half a decade since our last playoff win. Not a lot of other coaches, especially coaches over 70 years old, would get that kind of leeway in just about any professional sport.

Let’s face facts here - he’s been a career mediocrity as a head coach without Brady. He’s continued to be a mediocrity as a HC since 2020. I’d still give him the opportunity to evaluate the roster and the coaching staff in the offseason, but his seat needs to start getting a bit uncomfortable. This is a business, and you’re in business to win now and in the future.

If you ask me Bob Kraft is fit to be tied letting Brady leave.

Brady is still pulling out wins out of thin air. Brady and this NE roster are Super Contenders. I believe that Kraft had a choice between Brady and BB and sided with BB.

BB has effectively been rebuilding for 3 years now. I think it would be a mistake to let him go after this season, no matter what happens.
Odds are very slim but if the team loses out (7 losses in a row) then any changes would be on the table.

The Krafts might be fed up with BB, but the Zona game should have no bearing on any decision they make.

If they are going back to a traditional President>GM>Coach system then the GM needs to hire the coach.
Anything else and the system has failed already

Since so many on this board appear to like offensive high powered one hit wonders let's bring Tony Dungy in.

He also had a bunch of 7-9 seasons with the same HOF QB.
He had just as many 13 win seasons and many more with 11 or more wins.

Since when did Sean Payton become a bum?

Payton and Brees were 7-9 four times in 14 seasons. They had just as many 13 win seasons and had 8 seasons with 11 or more wins. They didn't win more Super Bowls because their defenses were typically inferior. Even in 2009 when they won it all their defense ranked 25th in the NFL.
So you are okay with him coming here with full control and again building a bunch of poor defensive teams as long as offense is great and we "may" win a SB . And without a future HOF QB?
The amazing part is - granted brady is better than brees- but still for 20 yrs BB coached team didnt have a losing season with a HOF QB and 1 11-5 with cassel but we are having more faith in payton to come and revamp and rebuild this franchise. Classic case of ignoring what have had.

He had just as many 13 win seasons and many more with 11 or more wins.

Since when did Sean Payton become a bum?
By that standards when did BB become a bum ? 1 losing season and 1 season with 6-6 record ? If we cant handle this, you will handle 2 back to back 7-9 seasons with payton or any other coach ? if yes then BB deserves the same long leash . if he goes with the same losing seasons then fine we need change. but we are ready to dump him 3 seasons after brady.

They started 6-2 in 1999. There was actual hope that season. That’s how quickly things can change.
Everything went downhill after that MNF game against the Jets where the Pats were favored by 14 at home. This was the birth of Bill being a HC candidate after he was coming up with game plans that ruined the Pats and frustrated Peyton Manning twice. Parcells and his assistants (Weiss & Belichick) were making a Ray Lucas led team look respectable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back