PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread Texans @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now if they can just find a way to pick up a 2nd and 1 or a 3rd and 1. Pass blocking is fair but run blocking sucks. Thank the gods for TB12!!!

The Pats were going against one of the best D-lines in the league. If you were expecting the Pats to run over them like the Pats have run over the Colts in the past, then the issue is with you, not the Pats.

Houston's got 3 AMAZING players in Watt, Mercilus and Clowney. They're where the Pats were 2 years ago when the Pats had Jones, Collins and Hightower. Pretty sure there isn't another team out there that has 3 ALL -PROs in their front 7.

The tandem of Covington and Reader at NT would be hard for even Nick Mangold to handle when Mangold was one of the best. So, let's give credit where it's due.

The Patriots O-line, despite giving up 4 sacks, still got Brady a lot of time on many plays.

I honestly believe that the play-calling on the 3rd and short yardage needs to be better. Stack the line and run a sweep to the wide side. With Lewis, White and Gillislee, they all have the speed to get to the outside. And they should be able to beet most anyone to the corner. OR, put a WR out late like they have in the past, fake the plunge and throw to the WR. If Hogan, Cooks or Amendola can't get the yard that way, then either the defense played it really well, or the execution sucked.

Rough game at times but they pulled it out. I’m a believer in the ‘first 4 games are used as evaluation’ by the Patriots so while the number of healthy bodies
Is disturbing, them clicking on every cylinder at this point is not that big a deal.

Heat was unmentioned edge for Houston.
I melted down today. Took about a minute.

Still can't believe Brady. We are very lucky, good to see the comments from folks who get it.

This has never happened before, is unlikely to happen again.
At least, not for us to see.
Now, going back and forth in my mind of just LI and today,
laughing.
Imagine how much other fans have to hate him?

I genuinely believe this is a factor in the ratings dive.
Patriot fatigue.
Majority knows they have no chance.
I listen to radio across the country.
And in every town, at some point they reference BB, TB!@, Patriot way, etc.

Any "best this or that" discussions start with...
okay other than BB and Tb...

Good times for us faithful.
Thanks for the great board.
Ignore the noise, of course.

Heh.

Gilmore played horrible, as he seems to miss his zone more often than not, due to his very poor awareness... Thankfully he makes up for his mistakes with raw talent and physicality. Still, he needs to be better.

I think that our whole secondary isn't matching my admittedly high expectations from before the season. However, the pass-rush isn't as bad i thought, so I guess they cancel each other out.

Just please remember to turn for the ball, sometimes

The Pats were going against one of the best D-lines in the league. If you were expecting the Pats to run over them like the Pats have run over the Colts in the past, then the issue is with you, not the Pats.

Houston's got 3 AMAZING players in Watt, Mercilus and Clowney. They're where the Pats were 2 years ago when the Pats had Jones, Collins and Hightower. Pretty sure there isn't another team out there that has 3 ALL -PROs in their front 7.

The tandem of Covington and Reader at NT would be hard for even Nick Mangold to handle when Mangold was one of the best. So, let's give credit where it's due.

The Patriots O-line, despite giving up 4 sacks, still got Brady a lot of time on many plays.

I honestly believe that the play-calling on the 3rd and short yardage needs to be better. Stack the line and run a sweep to the wide side. With Lewis, White and Gillislee, they all have the speed to get to the outside. And they should be able to beet most anyone to the corner. OR, put a WR out late like they have in the past, fake the plunge and throw to the WR. If Hogan, Cooks or Amendola can't get the yard that way, then either the defense played it really well, or the execution sucked.

Agree.. **** it, Winner..

Quick hitters:

1. Brady: G.O.A.T., another day at the office
  2. Cooks is really dictating coverage. Having him and Gronk out there is almost too much for opponents. If only Edelman....
  3. Without Hightower, this LB corps is a steaming pile
  4. Without Branch playing up to his level, the DL isn't much better than the LB corps without Hightower
  5. Dear Marcus, get well soon immediately
  6. Anyone know when Nate Solder will be back and ready to play football this season?
  7. Dear Josh, use the double 3dRB sets more, please
  8. This OL sucks at run blocking right now (several times not helped by play calling)

That's good enough for a start, I think
Not seeing this offense with Edelman will be one of the regrets of my life (not the biggest regret mind you).

What big plays did Watson have with his legs ? Otherwise you are moving the goalposts on the entire discussion.

Watson's ability to move around and avoid the sack led to two big passing plays to Foreman and one to Griffin..

Gilmore played horrible, as he seems to miss his zone more often than not, due to his very poor awareness... Thankfully he makes up for his mistakes with raw talent and physicality. Still, he needs to be better.

I think that our whole secondary isn't matching my admittedly high expectations from before the season. However, the pass-rush isn't as bad i thought, so I guess they cancel each other out.

Just please remember to turn for the ball, sometimes

Any chance we can cool down with the hyperbole a bit ? Obviously there are still assignment and communication issues but that is natural and will get better over the course of the year. Anyone that thought he would come in and just gel immediately is a bit naive. It is not like we are a team that plays exclusively man coverage where you can just leave a CB on an island with another player the entire time.

Watson's ability to move around and avoid the sack led to two big passing plays to Foreman and one to Griffin..

Yes, but that is not related to the containment issue in terms of him being a running threat.

I am not overly concerned about our passing game. I am pleased that our intermediate and deep game has been so productive. Our small game will eventually get on point since that is Brady's bread and butter.

We need to aggressively attack mobile quarterbacks and the run game. This passive crap we do against mobile qbs just backfires against us. Flush them to their left so they can't easily throw on the run.

What is wrong with Solder? His run blocking has always been decent but it has been horrible this year. With all of the problems we have, I think Solder might be the biggest.

1. This team continues to struggle against mobile QBs.

This is the 1st mobile QB in ages that has given the Pats a hard time..

5. Brady cannot keep laying DA out or he's never going to make it.

Well, luckily we don't have to face Jonathan Joseph launching himself at receivers who are in the air and not getting called for it.

Your post is both ridiculous and in the wrong thread.
It was a reply to a post in this thread, so yea, right thread.. but thanks for your input.

My opinion is just as valid as those who are offended by the players, so yea, thanks again for your input.

The O-Line DOES NOT suck!!! We went against one of the best Defenses in the league that consisted of Watt, Clowney, Mercilus & others. Also, we were missing our best O-Lineman.

Next week will be yet another challenge. Looking forward to it.

Some Plusses:

1. We finally have one of those toe-tapping wide receivers
2. Anyone see DeAndre Hopkins? (And we had injuries among the corners).

Some Minuses:

1. Some very bad punts there and some bad punt return decisions by Amendola to go with some nice returns
2. What's with Solder? He had some "personal stuff" before the game and his play was not good again.

The mobile QB issue doesn't really concern me that much - a bunch of those plays could very easily have turned out quite differently if he had been sacked or those throws had been picked off. Can't just judge by results.

Having Cannon and Hightower back will make a world of difference.

I am not overly concerned about our passing game. I am pleased that our intermediate and deep game has been so productive. Our small game will eventually get on point since that is Brady's bread and butter.

We need to aggressively attack mobile quarterbacks and the run game. This passive crap we do against mobile qbs just backfires against us. Flush them to their left so they can't easily throw on the run.

What is wrong with Solder? His run blocking has always been decent but it has been horrible this year. With all of the problems we have, I think Solder might be the biggest.

You never "aggressively attack mobile QB". If you watched the game, you'll see that is actually what caused many of the Patriots issues.. Players leaving their areas and allowing Watson to move around and making it a sand lot game.

Go back and watch some of the film when Steward and Vick were playing and how the Patriots controlled them. It wasn't by "aggressively attacking them" that's for sure.

Mobile QBs have been a problem for years now, not sure if it’s because our D-Line or no linebacker able to keep these guys in the middle.

Please name the last "mobile" QB prior to Watson that was a problem for the Patriots.. Thanks.. I'll wait..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe