PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Chiefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy pisses me off . I hate it when they run it down to 3 seconds. I'd run it down to 5 seconds in case there is a fumble by the holder. Just adds a level of protection and is a pet peeve of mine
It would have been a mistake to leave one second on the clock for those guys to get the ball back.

Loved Eric Crocker's take--

Tom Brady at his Postgame Presser: “I don’t know if we punted tonight [against the league's #1 defense] but I still think we could’ve played better."

Fans of every other NFL Team:
giphy.gif

After reflecting on this and from @KontradictioN 's suggestion that Gronk may have a high ankle sprain, I'm quite confident to say at least this for certain: he is not able to jump right now. There were several times they had a spread formation near the red zone and Gronk was single covered on the outside with a massive height advantage. Normally that's an obvious fade pass with a high success rate. In addition, every ball he's caught has been thrown to hit him in stride. Normally, you'll see Brady float at least 2-3 balls to Gronkowski, even when covered, that require him to out-jump the defender. We haven't seen that since week 1.

That makes me quite confident that Gronk is being severely hampered by an injury rather than just slowing as part of the aging process. Hopefully it isn't a high ankle sprain because those can take a full season to heal. Whatever it is, though, I think defenses have caught onto it and that's why they're putting quicker, smaller players on him. His straight line speed doesn't seem to be as badly effected (example: that last catch).

High ankle sprains are usually pretty bad and off the top of my head I’m not aware of any players who have been legit diagnosed with one and played in multiple games. My guess is something less serious but still enough to knock him down from “God TE” to “only two levels above Kelce”.

It almost feels like the steroids era in baseball. It's so ridiculous that Mitch Trubisky and Brock Osweiler are dueling near 400 yards each and hitting the 30 point mark. This is why Super Bowls, wins, etc. is so important long-term. Just as I was typing this I saw a graphic come up saying that Matt Ryan just passed Joe Montana for passing TDs...and there you go. Passing stats will never matter because they'll just keep going up. The average QB rating is now equivalent to Joe Montana's career QB rating, which at the time was the highest ever. This is a really watered down league that is making defenses virtually irrelevant. The only good thing is (though maybe not for the Patriots), it's making it less important who your QB is, since any QB starts may just put up a 5-TD game with 485 yards (but they might lose too.)
And that is why, despite the spectacular plays, tonight's game was less than spectacular. If I want to see basketball I'll go to a Celtics game. Defense is as IMPORTANT to what makes football a dynamic game as offense is. When rules and officiating are skewed in one direction, the game itself suffers. There is no such thing as a dominant defense anymore, just varying degrees of dominant offenses. This is what Madden video, fantasy football and ADD Millennials have wrought. We'll be seeing more and more of whoever has the ball last wins and it sucks.

It almost feels like the steroids era in baseball. It's so ridiculous that Mitch Trubisky and Brock Osweiler are dueling near 400 yards each and hitting the 30 point mark. This is why Super Bowls, wins, etc. is so important long-term. Just as I was typing this I saw a graphic come up saying that Matt Ryan just passed Joe Montana for passing TDs...and there you go. Passing stats will never matter because they'll just keep going up. The average QB rating is now equivalent to Joe Montana's career QB rating, which at the time was the highest ever. This is a really watered down league that is making defenses virtually irrelevant. The only good thing is (though maybe not for the Patriots), it's making it less important who your QB is, since any QB starts may just put up a 5-TD game with 485 yards (but they might lose too.)

Some crazy math mathematician needs to come up with something like an inflation formula, to put things into perspective per era.

And that is why, despite the spectacular plays, tonight's game was less than spectacular. If I want to see basketball I'll go to a Celtics game. Defense is as IMPORTANT to what makes football a dynamic game as offense is. When rules and officiating are skewed in one direction, the game itself suffers. There is no such thing as a dominant defense anymore, just varying degrees of dominant offenses. This is what Madden video, fantasy football and ADD Millennials have wrought. We'll be seeing more and more of whoever has the ball last wins and it sucks.

At least you can be happy the irony here: Fivehead's lobbying for the rule changes will ultimately bury all of his passing records and render him a footnote in history.

Not even on the same page with Gordon yet, still have Gronk dealing with a nagging injury. I stick by what I said before the game: this offense has massive potential. Should have had 50.

Side note: if we play KC again in the playoffs, I will be drinking heavily.

At least you can be happy the irony here: Fivehead's lobbying for the rule changes will ultimately bury all of his passing records and render him a footnote in history.
As grateful as I am for the win tonight, I left the game feeling like I'd just witnessed a cheapened glitzy glossy version of the NFL game that has no soul. That might be over-dramatizing it a bit, but not much. Maybe the coming cold weather will help even things out a bit -- I hope.

I know Andy Reid has some major head scratchers with his time management (perhaps he should hire someone to stand next to him or get an analytics person on the headset?), but I really believe he is the second best coach in the NFL, for his quarterback development, game strategies,and scouting/drafting input. The guy took an Eagles team with master choke artist Donovan McNabb to five NFC Championship Games, lost a Super Bowl to one of the best teams of all-time, turned Alex Smith into an MVP candidate, and now has put together an absolutely lights-out group of skill players, while having key input into drafting Mahomes. He has outcoached Belichick several times when it comes to Xs and Os; I'd say tonight was a toss-up. He's pretty deserving of a title and absolutely someone I'd want to build my franchise if I couldn't have Belichick. He is certainly a better choice than the comical, yet consensus pick for second-best head coach, Mike Tomlin (lol).

As grateful as I am for the win tonight, I left the game feeling like I'd just witnessed a cheapened glitzy glossy version of the NFL game that has no soul. That might be over-dramatizing it a bit, but not much. Maybe the coming cold weather will help even things out a bit -- I hope.

What? Just because the Patriots offense wasn't sharp at all but scored 43 points, and have scored 38+ points three straight weeks despite having little rhythm and paling in comparison to past teams? But, hey, Sam Darnold bungled his way to a 40 burger too. Is that what you mean? Because I definitely agree. I mean, it seems like some of these past Patriots teams, or if this offense actually starts to resemble a real Brady offense, they should be scoring 55-65 a game.

I think the bubblegum state of the NFL is being overemphasized here. This was always going to be a crazy game. I thought it would end up as something like 36-33 with elite offenses squaring off against subpar defenses. The offenses played well and the putrid defenses actually underachieved even more than usual. The result: a highspeed car chase.

What worries me is a defensive team like the Ravens slowing us down while our defense can't stop them since we can't stop anyone. We've got a lot of firepower; yet, the second we face a top pass rushing unit lots of those weapons become irrelevant.

What? Just because the Patriots offense wasn't sharp at all but scored 43 points, and have scored 38+ points three straight weeks despite having little rhythm and paling in comparison to past teams? But, hey, Sam Darnold bungled his way to a 40 burger too. Is that what you mean? Because I definitely agree. I mean, it seems like some of these past Patriots teams, or if this offense actually starts to resemble a real Brady offense, they should be scoring 55-65 a game.
Sure, the Pats will be scoring 55 a game and opponents will score 40. Whoopee! :rolleyes: We're already seeing games with both teams scoring in the 30s-plus as relatively routine and I'm sure all manner of scoring records will be set this season.

I was concerned a few weeks ago, but after seeing all the pieces this Patriots offense has the potential to be the best offense in Patriots and league history. Gordon isn't there yet but he has a tank full of ability and hunger from the looks of things. We've got Edelman looking decent while still needing to dust off a few cobwebs regarding the drops. Gronk is hurt but still throwing people around. Michel is fast and runs tough but also has the potential to become a receiving option. White is amazing out of the backfield and is an effective second option as a runner. Hogan is clutch. The offensive line is holding together but could still get better. And Dorsett is a good backup. And Patterson could still find a game or two to shine if McDaniels spots a significant mismatch. With Brady, he's still Brady but also has a bit of work to do with timing passes to new guys and those who were suspended.

In short, we only have White and Hogan operating at peak level. Most of the other key players have work to do. And we still put up 43.

The problem is that I trust the defense about as much as I trust banks and lawyers.

I was concerned a few weeks ago, but after seeing all the pieces this Patriots offense has the potential to be the best offense in Patriots and league history. Gordon isn't there yet but he has a tank full of ability and hunger from the looks of things. We've got Edelman looking decent while still needing to dust off a few cobwebs regarding the drops. Gronk is hurt but still throwing people around. Michel is fast and runs tough but also has the potential to become a receiving option. White is amazing out of the backfield and is an effective second option as a runner. Hogan is clutch. The offensive line is holding together but could still get better. And Dorsett is a good backup. And Patterson could still find a game or two to shine if McDaniels spots a significant mismatch. With Brady, he's still Brady but also has a bit of work to do with timing passes to new guys and those who were suspended.

In short, we only have White and Hogan operating at peak level. Most of the other key players have work to do. And we still put up 43.

The problem is that I trust the defense about as much as I trust banks and lawyers.

Are there any teams that trust their defense anymore? The Eagles won the SB while allowing 500 yards and 3 TDs, 0 INTs to Brady. That's the problem...the entire league is just an offensive fireworks fest. An NFL defense is kind of equivalent now to the batting tee in tee-ball.

Sure, the Pats will be scoring 55 a game and opponents will score 40. Whoopee! :rolleyes: We're already seeing games with both teams scoring in the 30s-plus as relatively routine and I'm sure all manner of scoring records will be set this season.

1532705483783_offensiveplayer_16x9Images.png

Arena League and NFL are becoming indistinguishable...I mean, really, even the OPOY is Tom Grady?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes