PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Bills!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't shocked at all that the game was very close for a while. This is a 8-6 divionsal rival Bills unit who were desperate for playoffs and coming off the Gronk controversy. And we still blew em out because they couldnt hang 4Qs with us.

This game was never going to be 24-7 at the half.

The sound wasn't on at the place I was at.
Couldn't hear what he said
He paused it when he thought possession occurred, which was after the toe stopped kicking up pellets. Then watched the feet coming to the conclusion that the foot lifts and never comes down in bounds after it stopped kicking up pellets. All of this was great and really represented what I'd love from commentators. However then he watched the full replay changed his mind about possession to be before the foot stopped kicking up pellets. Just a clear case of changing the facts to fit his conclusion.
You could see the pellets kicked up by the toe drag for a moment stop when the toe came off the ground, then the chalk kicked up when the toe came down again out of bounds. They chose to believe possession was established before the toe came up. Their bad.
Yep clear as day. The truly confusing part was Romo literally put it all together and then changed what he thought in order to say it was a completion.
1) It's not a catch until the receiver secures the ball. Saying "before or after" would nullify the rule the penalty of a player running out of bounds and then being the first to touch the ball upon returning.

2) Having contact with the ball is not control. The current rule actually allows for the ball to hit the ground after it's been secured as long as you keep control of it. The ball moving is not control..

The current rules are fine. The Pats have been burned by them as much as anyone. People saying that they haven't are being myopic and biased.
I think the poster you quoted was joking because people are trying to redefine what a catch is to make it so anytime the ball touches a receiver and the receiver was at one point in bounds it's a reception. While these people are using a close enough approach the quoted poster was showing how ridiculous a rule would have to be to cover these close enough situations.

What's crazy is people are losing their minds because the refs have been consistently giving other teams the benefit of the doubt before the rule is correctly applied during review. In the past two games there's been one incorrect call that resulted in a large point swing and it went against the Patriots and no one cares.

1) It's not a catch until the receiver secures the ball. Saying "before or after" would nullify the rule the penalty of a player running out of bounds and then being the first to touch the ball upon returning.

2) Having contact with the ball is not control. The current rule actually allows for the ball to hit the ground after it's been secured as long as you keep control of it. The ball moving is not control..

The current rules are fine. The Pats have been burned by them as much as anyone. People saying that they haven't are being myopic and biased.

It was a joke buddy.

I know the rule and like it.

But given the idiocy I've heard from the mediots regarding the catch rule I can understand how you thought that post might be serious. :D

If we win next week, will be the first 13-3 season under Brady? Hes done 9-7, 10-6, 11-5, 12-4, 14-2 and 16-0.

Not surprising. Several times they were 12-3 going in to the last game with playoff seeding known - making the last game meaningless. So, they were resting players.
Kinda silly, but would I be the only one wanting to see a 15-1 record in his last 3-4 seasons? Of course 16-0 is better, but he'd be the only player ever with every type of winning record out there! As Patriots fans, we are so lucky.

Something is just not clicking with Brady for 60 minutes right now. When we need it he brings it and this was not a "bad game" by any stretch, however, he's missing some easy ones. Maybe listeria in his avocado ice cream? Seriously, I'm concerned there are personal life issues going on (is his Mom doing extra poorly? - hopefully not). The guy has given it for 15 years to allow us of PF to be NFL spoiled rotten brats (me included) so it's hard to knock him, and if it his mom or something extremely serious in his personal life like that (like we found out about Solder) then time for me to STFU up it. But something seems slightly un-right with Brady's demeanor, aim, something.

Getting nothing out of the return games. Probably just is what it is.

Seriously, when Brown surges this guy can be a force in the middle of the DL (but short yardage is not so good). How does a man that massive sack from behind a QB who is comparatively as agile as a trapeze artist trained in ballet who was born with 50 yard dash world trial like speed? I think tyrod was so sure he could escape Brown he didn't move away with the required urgency.

Some poster -- sorry forget who it exactly was -- nailed it with Gill and Lewis, saying Gill always going to be some relief with a handful of carries while Lewis would carry the heavy/heavier load (Lewis with 9 more carries than his previous 2017 high). I thought for sure Gill would be given a workload but he was just relief. Happy Gill made good with the opps he got (he had a one yard loss that was not his fault -- massive penetration by Buff defender) including a nice pass catch and YAC. Did Gill blow a blocking assignment that put him in the dog house or does MP/BB just think that little of him and/or think Lewis is so godlike they'll not put a ceiling on his touches? I did like seeing Bolden getting a few carries. Guy has been a Patriot type Patriots for some years now.

Did 10 different guys have catches for the Patriots? Damn...

I hope I am remembering KVN for what he is (solid, capable, just a step above middling LB) versus making him out to be the savior of all things defense. We so desperately need some play making at the LB spot that KVN's return may be getting blown up bigger than the effect it will have. Man, if Roberts can just be coached to be a missile that intersects where the ball is we may have something. Right now he is the missile that takes out the hospital or orphanage a 1/2 mile down the road instead of hitting the primary target ammo dump. (queue the bad joke about Victor Kiam and military ground to air defense).

Real surprised Buff in the second half decided to run outside left repeatedly when the outside right side has been repeatedly porous for weeks. What did MP/BB do that made Buff give up that side that has been 'trip to bountiful' for opposing run games?

That NBA Center sized receiver ate Gillmore's lunch multiple times. Mostly Gillmore was competitive in coverage but that dude was Gronk-ing Gilmore a bit too easily. (only non patriots should get Gronked!). Gilmore did have an important hand in there when the "controversial" reversal happened. His hand kept that ball from getting secured immediately. But Gilmore has to be better IMHO. Butler was better than Gilmore but he wasn't stellar by any stretch. I saw Rowe get beat once (the dreaded crossing route) but other than that I don't recall seeing his jersey at the spot of a catch. Chung continues to be an extremely valuable run stopping, pass covering defensive every man. Concerned to see him wincing so much.

Where did this pass rush come from? It for sure isn't the second coming of the NY Sack Exchange and there still are spans of the game where it was non existent, however, the pass rush has gotten noticeably better than it was a month ago IMHO. EXCELLENT! Job containing Tyrod from scrambling while still getting some sacks.

This D seems to be like Groundhog Day with Punxatawney Phil being a FG or a TD: first possession the D seems to always allow a long drive. If they hold for the FG (Phil keeps his head in the ground) it's going to be a good day for the D. If they allow the TD (Phil pokes his head out) then it's going to be a bad day. This D is a Tale of Two Cities with the whole best of time, worst of times line. If it wasn't for that inexplicable last minute 90 yard run given up against Pitt, the D is killin it in the second halves (or second halfs? or ...umm...whatever)

Excellent job by the OL. Run block, pass block, they earned their A grade today and the metric ton of turkey, stuffing and gravy they'll collectively eat in the next two days.

The refs were letting some GROSSLY obvious penalties go in the first half. I'm all for letting them play but you have to keep some control and throw a flag to send a message to keep it at least not grossly obvious holding, etc.

Gronk made it out alive. Heavenly light surely hath shone upon us this day :).

Last edited:
Just thinking outloud. The 2017 defense is still somewhat a mystery & has a wide range of outcomes based on postseason play from elite to disappointing.

4th in PPG, 27th in yards. Elite pass defense stats when you remove the first month of the season. Both outside CBs have flashed their talent & had their troubles.

Run defense honestly who knows. How many games have we seen Van Noy, Flowers & Brown together? Probably not many.

The full unit may be one of the best in the league or an average defense. The impact of a 90+% snaps Van Noy sending one of the poor LBs to the bench can’t be understated.

From a confidence scale of the 2011 defense to the 2003 defense as we enter the playoffs I’d probably lean to right in the middle. They could end up playing next to either end of the spectrum & we wouldn’t be completely shocked.

I'm panic striken???:D:p:).. When did I ever say that??

I'm one the most ardent, supportive fans on here. LOL

:p.

BTW, I have absolutely no problems with your "trolling", for lack of a better word.

And I certainly would not go running behind Ian"s skirt.

As you said about me, you are a good poster.
I just enjoy differently than you , NP.

Yes, I'm the annoying guy in the sports bar going "WTF?" or a "GO GO GO GO", "Get that MFer"...etc..

But I enjoy following the game here.

And respect others opinions, even if I don't agree. (to a point).

I think my remarks in the GDT are extremely tame , IMO

Re-read this post.

Merry Xmas

If we win next week, will be the first 13-3 season under Brady? Hes done 9-7, 10-6, 11-5, 12-4, 14-2 and 16-0.

I tell ya, after Miami it was obvious the 2017 Patriots pretty much sucked, until next week where it became a bit more obvious they are league best, until they gave up that last minute huge gain in Pitt exposing them as frauds, until the interception 3 plays later confirmed they clearly are the #1 seed, until the first half of Buff that indicated they are headed for one and done in the playoffs, until the second half of the Buff game that clearly showed 'SB here we come!'

I tell ya, after Miami it was obvious the 2017 Patriots pretty much sucked, until next week where it became a bit more obvious they are league best, until they gave up that last minute huge gain in Pitt exposing them as frauds, until the interception 3 plays later confirmed they clearly are the #1 seed, until the first half of Buff that indicated they are headed for one and done in the playoffs, until the second half of the Buff game that clearly showed 'SB here we come!'
This post is a Readers Digest of the GDT.

you know pats fans are spoiled when a 37-16 win is troubling....vs. a team that is currently in the wildcard race with a winning record. I think being on the sidelines for so long never allowed brady to get in a rhythm in the first half. The interception was a good play by the CB...but who knows if it was even the right route britt was supposed to run.

In the 2nd half he was lights out. and the running game was clicking on all cylinders.

What were you losing? You are an ok poster but Christ get a grip.

Quite frankly, it's annoying as **** and it's selfish to populate the GDT with that kind of emotional diarrhea.

Next time, text your buddy and say WTF when the Pats give up a 6yrd run in the 1st qtr.

No need to post that kind of involuntary emotional brain movement
Trolling? What did you think I'd say, thank you?

It was a joke buddy.

I know the rule and like it.

But given the idiocy I've heard from the mediots regarding the catch rule I can understand how you thought that post might be serious. :D

This is yet another truly sad commentary on sports media. Sports media = desperate for controversy + the profession is so entrenched with glibness + little sense for getting it right.
Put aside whether the replay got the call right; this has nothing, nada, zilch to do with "a football move" or any other controversial rules. This one was and is a straight forward rule whether using the old rule of 'just get two feet down' or the new rules. There is nothing wrong with any rule as it applies to this call. Bottom line: until you have control of the ball, whether feet are down or not is irrelevant and has been since I remember some angry Patriot fans singing "goodbye chuckie".

As for whether the call was correct? Hard to be certain from the replays I saw. I thought his foot was up before the ball was secured but what I saw left me with the opinion that there wasn't enough to overturn the call. But I'd like to think that the replay center brings up 1080p, zoomed in, time synced split screen. They get to freeze the exact frame the moment the ball is controlled then look at the other time synced freeze frame screen to see if the foot is touching or is it off the ground. I'd like to think that is what they looked at to allow them the process to determine the right call (if they aren't doing this then why aren't they doing that). IMHO that is probably what they did and they saw the foot was not touching the ground. And if they do that and still are not sure then I'd like to think they just let the call on the field stand. (hopefully not too much pie in the sky belief there :)).

The problem isn't the GDT.
It's the Post GD
Jeez. PC only

I'd like to see Dorsett involved more. He seems more shifty than Cooks, who, outside of his straight-line speed and elite deep threat ability, has underwhelmed me in all other areas.

I'd like to see Dorsett involved more. He seems more shifty than Cooks, who, outside of his straight-line speed and elite deep threat ability, has underwhelmed me in all other areas.

He's a great athlete but he's not physical. It seems like teams have done their homework lately on him. He has to try and be an all around wr. I am starting to see now why the saints had no problem moving him despite being a great athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe