PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Positional ranking 3-4 OLB Pre Combine

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Rang's lastest mock he has us taking Cox at DT\DE which is a nice pick.

The second pick

Andre Branch, DE, Clemson: A defensive end for the Clemson Tigers, Branch's value could rise exponentially if the 6-4, 260-pound senior proves as fluid in workouts as he appears when chasing down ballcarriers. The Patriots received some pretty strong play this season from veterans Andre Carter and Mark Anderson but in Branch the team would have a pass rusher capable of lining up at defensive end or rushing the passer from the two point stance should the Patriots revert back to Belichick's customary 3-4 defense in 2012.

I didn't catch any of Clemson's games this year so I'm not sure what to make of this one.

Looks to be the best fit for the Pats when considering length and weight requirements. Very active motor which gets him to QB's, good against the run, not always the first off the snap. Projected early to mid second round, I have him in my mock.

I've been leading the Branch bandwagon (as far as I know; if others want to claim seniority, they are welcome to it!), and Cox appears to be an extremely talented, if inconsistent, defensive lineman. I would not complain at all if we drafted those players.

My one issue is whether or not we can't get them at better value. According to CBS's own rankings, Branch is listed at 58 overall. Trade down? :D To be fair, Cox is listed at 17, so we are getting exceptional value with him in the end of the first frame. Nonetheless, I think we can manage our resources more wisely and still end up with excellent players.

Branch needs better coaching. I'm not a fan of the Clemson staff. They appear to allow far too much complacency in the locker room. He is the perfect BB DE/OLB, however. He already plays the technique properly, and has the right size. I don't know if he'll wow in the 40, but he's very fast and fluid in coverage, and has excellent closing speed. He plays OLB in the 43 at times, and has lined up at both left and right defensive end. When he plays with good leverage and technique, he's strong against the run, and he when he's cut loose to rush the passer (like against Virginia Tech), he can record 4 sack days. I don't think he's a pass rusher on the order of Aldon Smith (my binky last year), but I do think he's a more well rounded football player.

I've been leading the Branch bandwagon (as far as I know; if others want to claim seniority, they are welcome to it!), and Cox appears to be an extremely talented, if inconsistent, defensive lineman. I would not complain at all if we drafted those players.

My one issue is whether or not we can't get them at better value. According to CBS's own rankings, Branch is listed at 58 overall. Trade down? :D To be fair, Cox is listed at 17, so we are getting exceptional value with him in the end of the first frame. Nonetheless, I think we can manage our resources more wisely and still end up with excellent players.

Branch needs better coaching. I'm not a fan of the Clemson staff. They appear to allow far too much complacency in the locker room. He is the perfect BB DE/OLB, however. He already plays the technique properly, and has the right size. I don't know if he'll wow in the 40, but he's very fast and fluid in coverage, and has excellent closing speed. He plays OLB in the 43 at times, and has lined up at both left and right defensive end. When he plays with good leverage and technique, he's strong against the run, and he when he's cut loose to rush the passer (like against Virginia Tech), he can record 4 sack days. I don't think he's a pass rusher on the order of Aldon Smith (my binky last year), but I do think he's a more well rounded football player.

If Branch shows in the combine that he fluid enough and runs well enough, I think we need to consider him in the second round.

Earlier in the year I really liked Still of Penn State as a 3-4 DE for us, but he shot up draft boards.

Now I really like Cox of Miss St. And it appears he is shooting up draft boards. Cox vs. Barrett Jones in the Alabama Miss St game was a great battle. I know Jones was playing injured in that game, but Cox took it right to him all game long.

That's for the write up. I loved Smith last year. I didn't care for Sapp or Bowers coming out of Clemson.

We'll never know but I wonder who BB would have taken if at 17 Smith, Watt and Solder were all still on the board.

That's for the write up. I loved Smith last year. I didn't care for Sapp or Bowers coming out of Clemson.

We'll never know but I wonder who BB would have taken if at 17 Smith, Watt and Solder were all still on the board.

Wow what a scenario that would have been. I think the rankings might have been

1. Smith - 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE, either way an impact player tthe D needs
2. Solder - Franchise LT are hard to find
3. Watt - fantastic player but doesn't fit scheme as well compared to other 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe