Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If you had a choice between keeping Cam or Harry...

• Cam

Votes: 31 42.5%
  • Harry

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 19 26.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had a choice between keeping Cam or Harry...
I'd keep neither of them and bring in a guy like Tyrod Taylor to be the Joe Average veteran while moving guys like Gunner and Meyerrs up the depth chart

I'd keep neither of them and bring in a guy like Tyrod Taylor to be the Joe Average veteran while moving guys like Gunner and Meyerrs up the depth chart
Tyrod Taylor? Seriously ?

Even assuming Tyrod Taylor is definitively better than Cam (which is debatable given Tyrod hasn't really played a lot in the last three years), you're then starting over again, less than two weeks prior to training camp just like you did with Cam last year. I wouldn't expect a journeyman backup QB to excel in that scenario. We're better off with Cam in that case because at least he has a year with the playbook at this point.

Let's say Mac wins the job but gets hurt sometime this year. Cam would still have value.

Let's say Cam wins the job but it's only a "bridge" role. That has value.

Harry adds nothing. A "bridge" 4th/5th WR, who doesn't work hard, has an obviosuly inflated ego, and is respected by nobody, apparently? He needs to be gone, yesterday. Even if it is for stale Doritos and trail mix to be named later.
I agree that the situation with Cam is currently a no-brainer. He is on a deal guaranteed for only $3.5M with incentives. Last year he had no receivers or TEs and he was hit by COVID 19. I think it likely he plays better this year, but who really knows. Let me expand on your scenarios:
  • If Cam wins the job, plays much better than last year with more weapons and with a year to get used to the system, and keeps the starting job all year, great! Mac has a year to learn the ropes, following the model of many other successful QBs.
  • As you said, Cam wins the job in a "bridge" role, which Mac taking over later, great! That has value as you said.
  • If Mac wins the job and Cam is willing to stay as a back-up, great! His contract has decent value even for a back-up QB, a quick Google search indicated that 6 back-up QBs made at least $4M last year.
  • As the "worst case" scenario, supposed that at some point Mac takes the starting job and Cam doesn't want to be a back up (although I question if that would be the case, especially if Cam still has a role). Well, he can be traded (or even cut) with a minimal salary cap hit.
To me it seems like keeping Cam is a win, win scenario at this point.

Last edited:
Tyrod might end up as the starter in Houston.

I don’t care what was said from the Harry camp...Cam WILL trash the season and Harry won’t cause a dent. It’s just a no-brainer for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes