• pick 64?

Votes: 33 47.8%
  • Nah

Votes: 24 34.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
64 and RLKAG

I don't see it happening. Not for that compensation. Haven't heard anywhere that BB is actually interested in Rosen. He wasn't last draft was he?

For one of the comp picks, yes

we have a 6th round pick right? that would work for me

I would do Rosen for 32 in a heartbeat. We discussed him a lot in the draft forum last year and I had him rated as the best QB in the draft (and he would be my #1 in this draft too). One year in a dismal Arizona offense where he was given no chance to succeed doesn't change that. I think he is the most talented QB we have had available to us in many years and likely until Brady retires. Pick #32 isn't a very big price to pay for someone if you think they are a franchise QB. I think Rosen can be that guy in New England. His contract is dirt cheap for the next 3 years then we have the 5th year option. We would actually save some money if we traded for Rosen then moved Hoyer for a late round pick.

He will be humbled by a trade, he will have a chip on his shoulder and he will have a chance to sit and learn behind the GOAT. I think this is the perfect situation to help transition the dynasty to a new generation in a few years.

This is what I said about Rosen last year when we potentially had the ammo to trade up for a QB.
I've looked into Rosen a lot since the Cooks trade and every time I've heard him talk I've been impressed. He is well spoken, articulate, intelligent and confident. I know his personality might not fit some teams/coaches but I think he would be a perfect fit here. He holds himself to a high standard and expects the same from those around him. I think McDaniels can mentally challenge him to get the best out of him. For me he is the best QB fit in the class for the Pats.

I would do Rosen for 32 in a heartbeat. We discussed him a lot in the draft forum last year and I had him rated as the best QB in the draft (and he would be my #1 in this draft too). One year in a dismal Arizona offense where he was given no chance to succeed doesn't change that. I think he is the most talented QB we have had available to us in many years and likely until Brady retires. Pick #32 isn't a very big price to pay for someone if you think they are a franchise QB. I think Rosen can be that guy in New England. His contract is dirt cheap for the next 3 years then we have the 5th year option. We would actually save some money if we traded for Rosen then moved Hoyer for a late round pick.

He will be humbled by a trade, he will have a chip on his shoulder and he will have a chance to sit and learn behind the GOAT. I think this is the perfect situation to help transition the dynasty to a new generation in a few years.

This is what I said about Rosen last year when we potentially had the ammo to trade up for a QB.

Nice post.

Tough to judge Rosen. But I would be ok with taking a flyer with a 2nd round pick. The only real criticism I have of him is his outside the numbers accuracy.

People criticize his O line, which wasn't great, but the play calling was probably a bigger problem. Can't count how many times I saw seemingly every receiver running a fly route. haha

Anyway, it's worth the gamble imo.

I've read several scouting reports on him the past couple of days. From what I've read, there seems to be a consensus that he has an extremely high football IQ. He has great mechanics and footwork and is an adequate athlete. The knocks on him were that he gets into trouble by taking too many risks. His character concerns were from his first couple of years in college, but that he had matured towards the end of college and he handled his first year in Arizona well despite the team and the offensive line being atrocious.

Here's a pretty good scouting report from a Giants website written last year.

Josh Rosen: Undeniable talent, but odd lapses ... and nagging questions

In particular, I like this exchange between Trent Dilfer and Bucky Brooks who coached him at the Elite Eleven.

“Trent, it’s funny that you bring that up about Elite Eleven,” Brooks said. “Because as hard as you were on him, as the overall coach of the Elite Eleven, he was my quarterback on my team, and I came away with the same thing. I thought at the time, at seventeen, he was uncoachable, he wasn’t willing to listen. He was the most talented guy there, but he did the least with that talent because he just wouldn’t humble himself to learn everything.

But like last summer, I had the opportunity to be around him at that Elite Eleven, and he was different. He was humble, he was outgoing, he did things he didn’t show at seventeen. And it really changed the narrative that I had on him, because I wasn’t a big fan. I wasn’t a big fan of his mentality and how he went about it. But after that, I had a better understanding.”

“I think fit is going to be really important for Josh,” Dilfer replies. “I think you’re going to have to have an offensive staff that understands him as a person, and be willing to give him a lot of responsibility, give him a lot of stuff to learn, but behind the scenes, control how much is actually used. Now, I know that sounded vague, but here’s what I learned about Josh, you can’t bring any weaksauce, any day. You’ve got to bring your A-game. He expects you to bring your A-game every single day when you’re coaching him, and he’s going to push back if he feels like you got lazy.

Every Monday, post-game, you have to give him reasons why things happened on Sunday. On Tuesdays when you’re introducing the game plan to him, you are going to have to give him a ‘why’ behind everything. You have to systematically break down why you got to this point, and why this is the plan you’re using to face the next opponent. And then Wednesday morning, the install meetings, there better be why, versus single-high man we’re working one side, and against single-high zone we’re working another side. Why we’re chaning the protection versus this front, and why we’re ID’ing the guy as the MIKE in these fronts, with the safety profiles. He needs to know everything, because that’s the way his mind works.

That’s a good thing, by the way. I think Aaron Rodgers is very similar to that, I think Tom Brady is very similar to that. That you have to give them everything that you have, because they’re giving everything they have every single day, also. I think that’s how it plays off.

Now, if he goes somewhere where these coaches are bringing the weaksauce, and they just say ‘Do it because I told you to,’ watch out, because you might have seventeen-year old Josh resurface.”

I'm talking myself into wanting the Pats to trade for him. I want a QB who is smart and can learn the Patriots offense which is the most complicated in the league. Learning from Brady and McDaniels for a couple of seasons would be ideal. It sounds like Rosen has the intelligence to do that. And how else are we going to get a QB with his potential.

Last edited:
I've read several scouting reports on him the past couple of days. From what I've read, there seems to be a consensus that he has an extremely high football IQ. He has great mechanics and footwork and is an adequate athlete. The knocks on him were that he gets into trouble by taking too many risks. His character concerns were from his first couple of years in college, but that he had matured towards the end of college and he handled his first year in Arizona well despite the team and the offensive line being atrocious.

Here's a pretty good scouting report from a Giants website written last year.

Josh Rosen: Undeniable talent, but odd lapses ... and nagging questions

In particular, I like this exchange between Trent Dilfer and Bucky Brooks who coached hi at the Elite Eleven.

“Trent, it’s funny that you bring that up about Elite Eleven,” Brooks said. “Because as hard as you were on him, as the overall coach of the Elite Eleven, he was my quarterback on my team, and I came away with the same thing. I thought at the time, at seventeen, he was uncoachable, he wasn’t willing to listen. He was the most talented guy there, but he did the least with that talent because he just wouldn’t humble himself to learn everything.

But like last summer, I had the opportunity to be around him at that Elite Eleven, and he was different. He was humble, he was outgoing, he did things he didn’t show at seventeen. And it really changed the narrative that I had on him, because I wasn’t a big fan. I wasn’t a big fan of his mentality and how he went about it. But after that, I had a better understanding.”

“I think fit is going to be really important for Josh,” Dilfer replies. “I think you’re going to have to have an offensive staff that understands him as a person, and be willing to give him a lot of responsibility, give him a lot of stuff to learn, but behind the scenes, control how much is actually used. Now, I know that sounded vague, but here’s what I learned about Josh, you can’t bring any weaksauce, any day. You’ve got to bring your A-game. He expects you to bring your A-game every single day when you’re coaching him, and he’s going to push back if he feels like you got lazy.

Every Monday, post-game, you have to give him reasons why things happened on Sunday. On Tuesdays when you’re introducing the game plan to him, you are going to have to give him a ‘why’ behind everything. You have to systematically break down why you got to this point, and why this is the plan you’re using to face the next opponent. And then Wednesday morning, the install meetings, there better be why, versus single-high man we’re working one side, and against single-high zone we’re working another side. Why we’re chaning the protection versus this front, and why we’re ID’ing the guy as the MIKE in these fronts, with the safety profiles. He needs to know everything, because that’s the way his mind works.

That’s a good thing, by the way. I think Aaron Rodgers is very similar to that, I think Tom Brady is very similar to that. That you have to give them everything that you have, because they’re giving everything they have every single day, also. I think that’s how it plays off.

Now, if he goes somewhere where these coaches are bringing the weaksauce, and they just say ‘Do it because I told you to,’ watch out, because you might have seventeen-year old Josh resurface.”

I'm talking myself into wanting the Pats to trade for him. I want a QB who is smart and can learn the Patriots offense which is the most complicated in the league. Learning from Brady and McDaniels for a couple of seasons would be ideal. It sounds like Rosen has the intelligence to do that. And how else are we going to get a QB with his potential.

Nice link... I agree with the conclusion. I think Rosen's reputation is all a matter of his surroundings. Not all teams are the New England Patriots. In fact, many of them completely suck, from the front office on down. Rosen just won't put up with that, and like the article said, neither would any other great players, except as fate would have it, they don't end up or stay in those locations for long.

It's a bit of a tough call for me because the concerns that people have for Rosen are very legit. That is, the things that people say are bad about him are very bad things to have. My issue is taking these accounts second and third hand when I know people are extremely vain and prone to dismiss/hurt others to maintain their own standing. In the case of good motivated people, they are often looked down upon with the same verbiage that people are using. It's hard for me to take them seriously. If they are legit, and Rosen really is a spoiled brat, then stay far far away. But if Rosen is a bull in a china shop, then get him and train him like a prized bull.

Last edited:
The question is if he's not mentally broken from that shi.tty situation he was in Arizona and how long it would take and if its possible to take off that stink.

Anyway, sitting a year behind Eli, I think it makes too much sense for the Giants to let this pass.

Unfortunately I think the Cards might be leaning toward keeping him now...

NFLN's Charley Casserly: Comments from teams on Kyler Murray were worst he has heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back