Votes: 30 19.6%
  • A little hard to swallow...

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Let's see what happens...

Votes: 80 52.3%
  • GAKLR... spelled backwards

Votes: 22 14.4%

• Total voters
We really no nothing about him - he's not known for anything. Minus Judon, the LB's are mediocre and Uche has massively regressed after 2022.

In house hires are extremely lazy and should've just kept Bill. This reminds me of the time of dysfunction in SF where Jim Tomsula was forced onto Gase into being his DC (Gase rejected SF job) and then eventually becoming a HC.

My Take?

we're #
Devante Parker Sport GIF by New England Patriots

Go Pats!
Nfl Pats GIF by New England Patriots

I'll blindly put myself in the wait and see group. But I have my reservations and doubts.

What gives me hope is the fact Kraft recognized what a great HC and Cap manager BB was early on but didn't hire him because he didn't want the ilk of Parcells lingering around. Maybe this time its similar again. If that is the case, then tip of the cap to him.

With that said, I really would have preferred a real GM and then a coach search. I am not saying they haven't done due diligence but with Vrabel and Harbaugh out there it's tough to seemingly settle for Mayo. Again for all we know they put out feelers to other coaches they may have been interested in to see if they were open to interviewing for the job and got turned down. I highly doubt that is the case, but to be fair we don't know. The only report I saw related was about Vrabel being open to the NE job. But if the reports were true that Vrabel wanted total control and that is what led to his ouster, I could see the Kraft's shying away from that scenario if that was going to be Vrabel's requirement.

-Too soon for Mayo to be named HC of any NFL team.
-Should have hired an external GM first and let them conduct the coaching search.
-Would have heavily preferred an offensive mind at the helm.
-Mayo will not last three seasons as HC.

Would love if I'm an absolute moron and the Krafts just hired the next best young coach in the NFL, but do not expect it to play out that way.
Agree 100% with you on 3 points, and the final statement.
I don't really care if we hired a GM first, since I don't believe GM should be the "boss" over HC in todays NFL.
I don't think there's a good GM candidate that should deserve that sort of power either.

That said, if you pick a "no-experience, in-bread, defensive guy", you better have a very experienced GM and/or team exec who picks OC for you. There's no way they can let Mayo fill out all of his own staff. That would ensure point #4 - which is almost a sure bet.

Not impressed with this decision. You let go of Belichick to just go with one his minions.
He's his own man, gonna be a 180 from how BB coached.

im hopeful, the guy’s a leader.

Think it would only work with a very strong oc presence though. So thatll be a big hire

Im ok with giving him a shot, but i would have preferred Vrable who has head coaching experience and was coach of the year not long ago.
That's kinda where I am with this.

I wanted Harbaugh.

I have no issue with Mayo except his inexperience as a HC. So much we don't know.

Vrabes was more of a qualified candidate but I wasn't enamored with him.

The players seem happy:

He’d be a coach I want to play for. I’d run through a wall for him,” edge rusher Josh Uche said. “I love players’ coaches. Guys that take it deeper than the X’s and O’s. It’s more personal. You want to go out and do a good job because you know you have someone behind you who’s backing and supporting you. ****, I’m all in on Mayo.”

“Man, he’d be a really great head coach,” defensive tackle Christian Barmore added. “He’d be a funny guy. He understands players. He teaches players. He’s everything a player would want.”

I don't think Uche is running through any walls for Bill.

The defensive players have been improving over the past few years - think Tavai, Bryant, Bentley to name just a few. At the end of the day coaches don't play - they motivate players and help them improve within their physical limitations. On that front we can have no concerns on the defensive side of the ball.

Coaches also come up with game plans (Bill has been excellent there on the defensive side at least) and handle game management (Bill has not been good there of late). This aspect has to be a wait and see.

Finally, on the roster and cap side, Bill has been terrible. The new GM can only be better. Remember we are replacing Bill with two people - Mayo doesn't need to manage the roster and draft, where he clearly doesn't have any experience.

Vrabel allegedly got fired from TN because he wanted GM powers and the ownership wouldn't play ball.

The whole Belichick split happened becuase of wanting the HC to stop being GM (becuase he's sucked at it for 5+ years in a row)
I read he wanted his guy, not himself and they chose another guy instead.

That's kinda where I am with this.

I wanted Harbaugh.

I have no issue with Mayo except his inexperience as a HC. So much we don't know.

Vrabes was more of a qualified candidate but I wasn't enamored with him.
I think that the wants of the players is an important factor. If the consensus in the locker room is that the players believe in and want Mayo as the HC instead of an outside hire then that's important. It doesn't mean it will pan out but I think Robert made the correct decision with those things under consideration.

The concern for me isn't Mayo as the head coach, it's the staffers that surround him. The GM and OC.

Truth is, Mayo being HC really doesn't change much if they kept BB as just HC.

The biggest needs on this team is still a rockstar GM & OC. And, I'm not even suggesting BOB wouldn't be a ton better with new management and talent. I just doubt Mayo wants to keep an "in-house" guy that outranks him.

I think that the wants of the players is an important factor. If the consensus in the locker room is that the players believe in and want Mayo as the HC instead of an outside hire then that's important. It doesn't mean it will pan out but I think Robert made the correct decision with those things under consideration.

The concern for me isn't Mayo as the head coach, it's the staffers that surround him. The GM and OC.
I agree.

I voted let's see what happens. We really don't know. Is BOB staying as OC? No matter who the OC is, will they be allowed to pick their staff or will they get by with whatever scraps they are thrown? Whoever the OC is, will they actually run the offense? Or will they just be Mayo's *****? Who will be GM? What about the Belichick kids? Staying or going? Way too early to be anything other than cautiously optimistic.

Truth is, Mayo being HC really doesn't change much if they kept BB as just HC.
I think a ton changes. They are two very different people
The biggest needs on this team is still a rockstar GM & OC. And, I'm not even suggesting BOB wouldn't be a ton better with new management and talent. I just doubt Mayo wants to keep an "in-house" guy that outranks him.
I think Mayo wants the guy that finds the best players for his system

At first I wanted someone new, but I’m good with Mayo. He’s smart, he’s a leader, and he’s a Patriot. Let’s see what he can do.

He needs to give his OC freedom to develop a legit NFL offence and we need a GM to pick offensive talent.

Alot can be said for players wanting to play for former players. Mayo seems to have all the players on his side. Hopefully there will be no more odd benchings/trades/cuts because someone didn't toe the BB line.

Definitely going to need a strong GM. Mayo should also hire a DC and not try and do both jobs himself. I'm guessing that either BOB or McDaniels will be the OC. Didn't I read someplace that the Pats sought permission to interview Patricia? He would seem like a great pick for DC and help for Mayo in the HC department.

I can only hope he names his daughter Chya to the staff

At first I wanted someone new, but I’m good with Mayo. He’s smart, he’s a leader, and he’s a Patriot. Let’s see what he can do.

He needs to give his OC freedom to develop a legit NFL offence and we need a GM to pick offensive talent.
Look at what Caseiro did in Houston Nico Collins - Tank Dell and now Stroud I'm jealous.

Positives:
Seems to be more of a people person than certain other Patriots coaches turned HC.
Should keep continuity with defense

Negatives:
Not sure how he fixes the offense
And if he brings in an OC that does fix the offense, not name Josh McDaniels, good chance the OC gets poached

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back