PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Playoff Running Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he did not but the whole O line looked iffy and I strongly believe with a presence of Mason it would have looked differently.It is not only about giving up sacks but about allowing constant pressure on Brady.On the other hand giving your teammates calmness and confidence. That is what Mason mostly offers. I do not blame Karras personally but he is not a leader unlike Mason.
You’re correct. Karras has needed help from Andrews and Waddle with chips in pass pro. On the right, we have two back-ups playing. On the left, we have what has been the weakness of the OL - Thuney, and Brown has been up and down this season. Plus they’re missing two of the top blocking TEs in the entire league in Gronk and Allen. Mason coming back will go a long way toward solidifying the right side of the OL.

The best way to slow down an ears pinned back pass rush is to run at it or at least present a realistic threat that you might. When a D doesn't have to at least give consideration to the the run bad things happen, as we have seen

A modest run game is helpful but not many teams are going to fear or game plan to stop the run. Every time Michel gets the ball for 2 yards and a cloud of dust is one less opportunity for the best player on the team (TB12).

Back to the original question 2018 Patriots Running Game, I don't see this as being much of a factor.

A modest run game is helpful but not many teams are going to fear or game plan to stop the run. Every time Michel gets the ball for 2 yards and a cloud of dust is one less opportunity for the best player on the team (TB12).

Back to the original question 2018 Patriots Running Game, I don't see this as being much of a factor.

Michel was more than capable of breaking off more than two yards before he went down in the Bears game. If he's healthy, I see no reason not to use him. Otherwise, you're telling the other squad's pass rush to tee off on our 41 year old quarterback.

Someone else asked me that question....

Certainly a tough one to answer, but I'd say Matt Tobin or Keointa Davis or we wait for the next guy to be I/R'd in the upcoming weeks....

Without an effective running game, this offense is simply too predictable and its weaknesses are on full display.

Hey, check your messages

I like the Seahawks recipe........to the OL, every play is a run and if they call a pass, well, the QB is on his own

all you are doing in this thread is picking a part of a dead horse and tearing it to pieces...the whole team failed to show up for the Titans game.Every facet of team play was sub-par.You have to take into account that every team we face is extra motivated that week...the Patriots aren't the hunters, they're the hunted.Vrabel has been looking forward to this game on the schedule just like O'Brien and staff were and just like Rocketman's Lions were.The Pats just came off an emotionally draining win, after a week of ridiculous Bradybashing/Rodgersballwashing..and they laid an ostrich sized egg. Stop going beserk over details. It was complete team loss on the road against a well prepared, motivated team. Time to move on.

In an oddly ironic way, this post makes me feel better.

My biggest concern is injuries to key players. Duane Allen is going to miss a few games, Mason is coming off an injury and Cannon has been hurt as well, making the blocking a little shaky, especially if new injuries occur. Michel has missed some time and his knees are still suspect and Burkhead is a walking Mash patient. If all bodies are healed and ready to go, the future looks bright. Otherwise, it's wait til next year.

We go into the 2018 playoffs with Michel replacing Lewis and Gillislie. We also have Patterson replacing Bolden. Returning are White, Bulkhead and Develin. For me, the key is the health of the blockers, including Mason, Cannon, Brown, Gronk and Allen.

We need to understand that the team has changed the entire running game, and have had injuries.
I don't understand why we are always so banged up when the Steelers are only temporarily missing one starter from their preseason lineup (RT Marcus Gilbert). How can one team always get so many significant injuries while another remains unscathed? I hate the injury part of the NFL. All too often the healthiest team wins and not the best team.

I don't understand why we are always so banged up when the Steelers are only temporarily missing one starter from their preseason lineup (RT Marcus Gilbert). How can one team always get so many significant injuries while another remains unscathed? I hate the injury part of the NFL. All too often the healthiest team wins and not the best team.

Injuries make me crazy too but over the years I’ve gotten to where I accept it as just part of the game. Irritating? Absolutely. Some years are like that and it sux but luckily it goes our way and our advantage at times

My biggest concern is injuries to key players. Duane Allen is going to miss a few games, Mason is coming off an injury and Cannon has been hurt as well, making the blocking a little shaky, especially if new injuries occur. Michel has missed some time and his knees are still suspect and Burkhead is a walking Mash patient. If all bodies are healed and ready to go, the future looks bright. Otherwise, it's wait til next year.
They are going to need to improve upon the weaknesses, regardless. They’ve got to get both parts of the offense moving in the right direction. An actual running game would improve our chances dramatically, particularly as the weather gets colder, but the quick timing short route passing game isn’t really clicking, either.

I really hope the key pieces - ol gronk allen michel are healthy at the right time. For the first time since 04 brady wont need to carry the team on his back. He’ll still be the focal point but it wont be as bad as last year and the Blount years imo outside of the dolts

Michel was more than capable of breaking off more than two yards before he went down in the Bears game. If he's healthy, I see no reason not to use him. Otherwise, you're telling the other squad's pass rush to tee off on our 41 year old quarterback.

Although I still don’t believe running is key to playoff successful , a healthy backfield of Michel, White and Ras-A-Burkhead is pretty good. Two good pass catchers and decent enough running ability.

It's all about the health and/or improved play of the O-line. They have to be perfect come playoff time. If we do make it to the Super Bowl (and its entirely possible), we need perfect protection against potential opponents like the Saints, Bears, Rams etc. and their pass rushes.

I hope they don’t have to rely on a running game in the playoffs. The NFL is a scoring league, against any of the top teams (Saints, Rams, Steelers, Chiefs, etc.) it will take close to 30 points to win. Running just isn’t going to cut it.

Michel hasn’t blown me away, I would much rather have Lewis as he was explosive and very good in the passing game.

The only path I see for the Patriots is to put the ball in Brady’s hands and have him chuck it 50 times.

Add this to the long list of hot takes I was dead ass wrong about. I honestly didn't think that in today's NFL ball control and good defense could win. I was wrong, wrong, wrong. My apologies to mgteich and others.

What a performance by the defense! Pats Rock!

I really hope the key pieces - ol gronk allen michel are healthy at the right time. For the first time since 04 brady wont need to carry the team on his back. He’ll still be the focal point but it wont be as bad as last year and the Blount years imo outside of the dolts

This was it, chief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back