PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Plaxico and Pierce

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFan24

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
[no link, article shortened]

NEW YORK -- Taken to court in handcuffs, Plaxico Burress posted $100,000 bail on weapons possession charges Monday as a frenzy grew around the case of the Giants star receiver who accidentally shot himself in a nightclub.

Authorities said teammate Antonio Pierce was being investigated over his role in the shooting, while the Super Bowl-champion Giants weren't sure what action they would take against Burress. The NFL said it was monitoring developments. Mayor Michael Bloomberg also weighed in, saying it would be an outrage "if we didn't prosecute to the fullest extent of the law."

Burress shot himself in the right thigh in the VIP section of the Latin Quarter nightclub in Manhattan about 1 a.m. Saturday, police said. He did not have a permit to carry a handgun in New York.

A witness reported hearing a popping sound before Burress' legs began to shake, according to a criminal complaint. It said the person saw a bloody pistol fall out of his pant leg and land on the floor before Burress said, "Take me to a hospital."

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: OT: Plaxico and Pierce

both these guys were such a-holes in the win last year that anything they get busted for would make me happy. i dont want injustice, but i would be happy to see them both go down hard if the are guilty.

One thing is certain - Plaxico blew any chance he had of getting Santa to leave him the Red Ryder BB Gun he asked for.

page0_blog_entry204_1.jpg

When it comes to NFL punishment, I think Pierce should get a harsh punishment while Burress should be let off easy. With what has happened to Sean Taylor and the guy from the Jags (can't remember his name), I really can't blame Burress for carrying a gun around. NFL players are unfortunately targeted because of who they are these days.

Last edited:

One thing is certain - Plaxico blew any chance he had of getting Santa to leave him the Red Ryder BB Gun he asked for.

page0_blog_entry204_1.jpg

You'll shoot your thigh out!!

Last edited:

He did not have a permit to carry a handgun in New York...Burress was charged with two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, which could result in a sentence of at least 3 1/2 years in prison.

The case has also drawn the wrath of Bloomberg, who has waged a long fight against illegal guns during his time in office. He called for a full prosecution of state law that requires mandatory prison for carrying a loaded handgun.

"I don't think anybody should be exempt from that, and I think it would be an outrage if we didn't prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, particularly people who live in the public domain, make their living because of their visibility -- they're the role models for our kids," Bloomberg said.

He also lashed out at the hospital, based on the allegation that officials may not have properly reported the shooting.

"It's just an outrage that the hospital didn't do what they were legally required to do. It's a misdemeanor, it's a chargeable offense, and I think the district attorney should certainly go after the management of this hospital. The lame excuse that they didn't know -- this is a world-class hospital," he said.

Bloomie is such a tool, but this incident raises lots of questions regarding "equal protection" under the law. Were I to discharge an illegal firearm say in a Genteleman's Club (not that I have ever been in such a club in NY, no) I would be toast. Further causing a minor sh!tstorm is the hospital's alleged coverup. This country was founded on an anti-beautiful people philosophy. We've come a long way.

When it comes to NFL punishment, I think Pierce should get a harsh punishment while Burress should be let off easy. With what has happened to Sean Taylor and the guy from the Jags (can't remember his name), I really can't blame Burress for carrying a gun around. NFL players are unfortunately targeted because of who they are these days.

First, he should have the right to carry a gun, but that's not NY law.

Secondly, the rich like Plax can easily hire bodyguards, q.v. Rosie who is anti-gun but paradoxically has armed bodyguards.

Secondly, the rich like Plax can easily hire bodyguards, q.v. Rosie who is anti-gun but paradoxically has armed bodyguards.

Maybe he just wants to do his own killin'. ;)

For the record, Burress isn't being charged for carrying per se--he's being charged for carrying an unregistered gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes