PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

pick our first pick in next years draft!

I think this is a very difficult thing to do, the FA out there in 2010 reads like a whos who of football. I was going to say DL, but we have Pryor, Brace and the DL FA's are pretty good.

I would liek to see BB draft a top notch LB, its not his HX to use a high pick on a LB (only once in ten years) but i think its like 07 we need one and this years crop looks really good from what i'm reading here.

Connor Barwin

Oh :D

Seriously I think the needs right now are (in order) RB, OLB, G, FB, WR and P

With RB probably the top need. Talyor and Morris may not even be playing nexy year. So agree with Mayo on Weatherspoon and Dwyer but who knows what BB thinks!

DL we are stacked on the line with Pryor and Brace next year. Secondary is young and deep, MLB looks OK with McKenzie back next year

Be interesting to see how Tate develops as well as if he cant be the 3rd WR then maybe we go for one of the WR's in what seems a deep class

What I do know is we'll have a thousand drafts and no-one will come close;)

Connor Barwin

Oh :D

Seriously I think the needs right now are (in order) RB, OLB, G, FB, WR and P

With RB probably the top need. Talyor and Morris may not even be playing nexy year. So agree with Mayo on Weatherspoon and Dwyer but who knows what BB thinks!

DL we are stacked on the line with Pryor and Brace next year. Secondary is young and deep, MLB looks OK with McKenzie back next year

Be interesting to see how Tate develops as well as if he cant be the 3rd WR then maybe we go for one of the WR's in what seems a deep class

What I do know is we'll have a thousand drafts and no-one will come close;)

Thanks for the support on Dwyer and Weatherspoon. Although I really like Weatherspoon, (1) he may not be available, and (2) with Guyton's progress and the return of McKenzie we may have bigger needs.

Right now I really like Georgia Tech DE/OLB Derrick Morgan, but he's shooting up draft boards. Kind of reminds me of Jared Allen, at 6'4" 270#. Sergio Kindle has the athleticism, but he seems more of an athlete than a football player right now. ILBs Brandon Spikes and Rolando McClain are always possibilities if they last to our pick. An OT such as Brian Bulaga of Iowa or Bruce Campbell of Maryland would also be nice. I don't see any interior lineman worth taking in the first round. Those are sort of the guys, along with Dwyer and Weatherspoon, who stand out to me at this early stage.

Thanks for the support on Dwyer and Weatherspoon. Although I really like Weatherspoon, (1) he may not be available, and (2) with Guyton's progress and the return of McKenzie we may have bigger needs.

Right now I really like Georgia Tech DE/OLB Derrick Morgan, but he's shooting up draft boards. Kind of reminds me of Jared Allen, at 6'4" 270#. Sergio Kindle has the athleticism, but he seems more of an athlete than a football player right now. ILBs Brandon Spikes and Rolando McClain are always possibilities if they last to our pick. An OT such as Brian Bulaga of Iowa or Bruce Campbell of Maryland would also be nice. I don't see any interior lineman worth taking in the first round. Those are sort of the guys, along with Dwyer and Weatherspoon, who stand out to me at this early stage.

This sounds like a recipe for trading out of the first round again. :) :(

This sounds like a recipe for trading out of the first round again. :) :(

Didn't work so badly for us last year.

I think that there will probably be 2-3 players who BB considers worth a 1st round pick (and possibly even a small trade up for, as in 2002-2003). If one of those guys falls to within reach, fine. Otherwise, I can easily see us trading down and around to maximize value. It's early, but it looks like there should be fairly good 2nd round depth in this draft.

Darius Butler was a fine pick at 23, but a brilliant pick at 41 (with some luck, obviously), given the lesser cost and all the other value we got by trading down.

Al Davis, is that you?

Sure sounds like Al, I agree but Crazy Al hasn't seen a pick in the 10-14 range in years. :singing:

I'll say a 4-3 DE. Just doesn't seem like we're interested in developing lb's. Don't know the pctgs. but I think a 4-2-5 defense is actually your base defense any more. Not a 3-4 or 4-3.
I haven't seen enough of the guys around the country. But, maybe a guy like Hardy from Ole Miss. Or, Selive from USF.

It took Bill Belichick 9 years to use a #1 draft pick for a linebacker.

He will not do this again until the 2017 draft.

I still think Tebow will be the one. You see him last night?

The kid has the X-factor.

I still think Tebow will be the one. You see him last night?

The kid has the X-factor.

He looks like he could make a handy running back, so he might be worth a pick, but depends what defensive players are on the board, personally I'd take Spikes or Kindle over Tebow because they're more of a need.

He looks like he could make a handy running back, so he might be worth a pick, but depends what defensive players are on the board, personally I'd take Spikes or Kindle over Tebow because they're more of a need.

Since when did Bill draft for need?

It's all about value, and if Tebow (potentially a QB, RB, TE) is on the board, and is someone who he clearly loves, he'll take him. I have no doubts whatsoever.

britpat i think u need to rethink ur tebow love..as far as us taking him early

britpat i think u need to rethink ur tebow love..as far as us taking him early

I'm guessing we trade out of the first round, again, and take him in the second.

It's not love either, just healthy respect for a very talented young man.

Love describes what I think about Sean Weatherspoon.

Is there any chance a receiver like Aurelious Benn might fall? I know he was projected top 10 coming into the year but given illinois's struggles, any chance he slips under the radar?

You really love your guys, don't you? I admire your consistency.

From what I can tell, theres a good chance Mount Cody lasts to the 20's. He's likely a 2 down run stuffer, and with Wilfork, Brace and Pryor (and I think we at least franchise Wilfork, and probably extend him) we've got plenty of beef on the DL.

Ulatowski is a nice pick at 64. Some think he's a bit soft, though, and our OL is already a bit soft. What do you think of OT Jason Fox from Miami?

I have no problem with McClain at 32, if he lasts that long.

Personally, I see 5 needs with 4 picks:

- ILB/MLB. This could be a SILB like McClain, or a hybrid kind of player like Weatherspoon (or even possibly Norwood). Good players, totally different styles. A lot depends on what BB is looking for. 6 months ago I would have picked McClain as a no-brainer. Now I'm not sure. I know you don't like Spikes, but he could certainly be in the mix as well.
- DE/OLB. Lots of interesting prospects - Kindle, Romeus, Morgan, Hughes, Sapp, Hardy, etc. I haven't seen enough of some of these guys to figure out who I like yet.
- 3-4 DE. Lots of interesting prospects. Suh and McCoy are out of reach, but Arthur Jones, Vince Oghobasse, Marvin Austin and Corey Wootten are all interesting prospects. I'm intrigued by 6'5" 305# junior Leonard Marsh from Florida, who has a lot of athleticism.
- OT. I see Vollmer taking over LT from Light next year. Vollmer/Kaczur/LeVoir are a solid group, but one more OT wouldn't hurt. Unless Brian Bulaga somehow slips (likely for medical reasons, which would make him a risk) I don't see spending a 1st rounder on this.
- RB. I'm in a minority here, but with Taylor, Morris and Faulk all aging, I think we need to reload. I'd like to see a Corey Dillon type to pair with Maroney, who I think we keep. Jonathan Dwyer is my favorite, Charles Scott is also an option. Jahvid Best is a nice all-purpose guy, but I would prefer a nice north-south guy to balance out our offense a bit.

I don't see DT as a need unless Wilfork leaves.

Great post.

OT
I'm glad to hear that someone else thinks that it would be a mistake to waste a 1st round pick on a OT. We extended Kaczur, we just drafted Vollmer, and we still have Light. Unless something catastrophic occurs, we should only look at low round players for competition.

Linebackers
I've seen McClain play. That kid has some potential. Other than that game against Virginia Tech, where he had a couple of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties called against him, the kid has been solid. I think this kid is way better than Spikes. I'm no draft guru, but I just don't see anything special about Spikes.

DE's
Not to bash the Florida program, but Dunlap hasn't really been doing it for me either. He's been a bit inconsistent. More importantly, at times he's been invisible. I'm not ready to risk a first round draft choice on this guy yet. he's got to show more.

With regard to Hardy, see my comments regarding Carlos Dunlap. The major difference between the two are Hardy's character concerns.

RB's
While we could spend a 1st round draft choice on a game changing running back, I'm nor yet on that bandwagon. With the way running backs get dinged up in this league, I don't think it's worth spending a 1st round pick. You can find several mid round backs that can play pretty well in this league. A 2nd round pick, sure, but I don't think our talent level and team need deserves a first round selection.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back